Breaking Down Southward's Contract

Guest King Jigsaw

Guest King Jigsaw

By Vaugh McClure

(http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/6057/breaking-down-southwards-contract)

Atlanta Falcons rookie safety Dez Southward said Saturday he was relieved to get his contract situation resolved.

When I asked him what the delay was, he said, "I don't know because I let my agent handle all that business.''

Southward, a third-round draft selection, was the last of the nine picks to sign a contract when he made it official last Thursday. It was a four-year deal that included a $690,832 signing bonus.

As former agent Joel Corry explained, there is more variance with third-round pick deals than any other round. They don't encounter the same signing bonus and minimum salary base deals as those drafted in the fourth through seventh rounds. That would explain why Southward's agent probably tried to negotiate more money and thus, extended the process a little longer.

Here is how Southward's contract breaks down:

Cap value: $592,708

Cash value: $1,110,832

Base salary: $420,000

Cap value: $737,373

Cash value: $564,665

Base salary: $564,665

Cap value: $859,374

Cash value: $686,666

Base salary: $686,666

Cap value: $935,545

Cash value: $762,837

Base salary: $762,837

------------------------------------------------

I'm really excited to see what this guy can do and I hope that it doesn't take him any more than 5 games to seize the starting job from Dwight Lowery and never look back. If this guy can become another integral part of our bright young secondary led by veteran William Moore, we're going to be set for a long time.

Guest King Jigsaw

Lol @ him saying "I don't know, I let my agent handle all that". That's most likely the case for the vast majority if NFL players. Holdouts should be blamed on greedy agents, not greedy players.

I thought that was pretty interesting as well as that paragraph about third round picks being in a peculiar spot within the CBA which is why it took longer for him to get signed. Dez is just focusing on football, and I like that.

Guest fibonacci

By Vaugh McClure

(http://espn.go.com/b...hwards-contract)

Atlanta Falcons rookie safety Dez Southward said Saturday he was relieved to get his contract situation resolved.

When I asked him what the delay was, he said, "I don't know because I let my agent handle all that business.''

Southward, a third-round draft selection, was the last of the nine picks to sign a contract when he made it official last Thursday. It was a four-year deal that included a $690,832 signing bonus.

As former agent Joel Corry explained, there is more variance with third-round pick deals than any other round. They don't encounter the same signing bonus and minimum salary base deals as those drafted in the fourth through seventh rounds. That would explain why Southward's agent probably tried to negotiate more money and thus, extended the process a little longer.

Here is how Southward's contract breaks down:

Cap value: $592,708

Cash value: $1,110,832

Base salary: $420,000

Cap value: $737,373

Cash value: $564,665

Base salary: $564,665

Cap value: $859,374

Cash value: $686,666

Base salary: $686,666

Cap value: $935,545

Cash value: $762,837

Base salary: $762,837

------------------------------------------------

I'm really excited to see what this guy can do and I hope that it doesn't take him any more than 5 games to seize the starting job from Dwight Lowery and never look back. If this guy can become another integral part of our bright young secondary led by veteran William Moore, we're going to be set for a long time.

this means nothing. it won't be accounted for under the top 51 rule. maybe 100,00 if that.