WOR

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Sunday, June 15, 2014

Updated: June 16, 12:48 PM ET

Dirk: Mavs would 'love' to have Melo

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

By Ian Begley

ESPNNewYork.com

Mavericks star Dirk Nowitzki has made a public pitch to recruit Carmelo Anthony to Dallas.

"If Carmelo would really love to come here, we'd love to have him," Nowitzki said in an interview on 105.3 The Fan in Dallas.

Anthony is under contract for next season but is expected to opt out of the final season of his deal with the New York Knicks and test free agency this summer.

The Mavericks, Chicago Bulls and Houston Rockets are teams Anthony would consider, sources told ESPN.com's Marc Stein. Miami Heat officials also have started to explore their options in trying to create enough financial flexibility to land Anthony in free agency, ESPN.com reported last week.

Carmelo Anthony, Dirk Nowitzki

Dirk Nowitzki says he would have no issue coexisting with Carmelo Anthony on the court. "Listen, I think I've showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody," Nowitzki said in an interview with a Dallas radio station.

Knicks president Phil Jackson has stated publicly that he'd like Anthony to consider opting in to the final season on his contract and testing free agency next summer. He has talked to Anthony several times about opting in over the past month, sources told ESPN.com -- including as recently as Friday night in Los Angeles.

Anthony said publicly during the season that he planned to test free agency this summer. A league source said last Thursday that Anthony hadn't changed his mind and remained committed to testing free agency.

The Mavericks are expected to have enough cap space to offer Anthony a maximum contract this summer.

If he re-signs with the Knicks, Anthony can ink a maximum contract worth $129 million over five years. If he signs with another team, Anthony can agree to a maximum contract worth $96 million over four seasons.

While Anthony has said he'd like to remain in New York, he's also expressed a desire to consistently compete for a championship.

The Knicks, who won just 37 games last season, aren't expected to have much cap space this summer to pursue free agents and don't have a pick in the 2014 draft. So it might be difficult -- barring a blockbuster trade -- for Jackson to significantly upgrade the roster this summer.

The Mavericks won 49 games last season and finished in eighth place in the Western Conference. They lost in the first round to the San Antonio Spurs in a seven-game series.

Dallas is projected to have as much as $30 million in cap space this summer.

Nowitzki, who led the Mavericks to an NBA title in 2011, said that he would have no problem coexisting with Anthony, the No. 2 scorer in the NBA last season.

"Listen, I think I've showed over my 16 years that I can play with anybody," Nowitzki said. "The only tough season I think we've had is when we had [Antawn] Jamison and Antoine Walker and myself who are all three kind of the same four-men, but other than that I think I've shown over my career that I can play with anybody. I'll adjust, whether I have to get out of the way or go to the corner more, post up, pass. I'll do whatever, really, that needs to be done out there to win or for this franchise to be a winner."

I really am a educator

A report surfaced Tuesday from ESPN that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry and the Miami Heat share a 'mutual interest.' Lowry is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"The guy who has mutual interest with the Heat and who fits a position of need is Kyle Lowry," ESPN's Brian Windhorst said in a video interview. Lowry could attract max offers from the Raptors and elsewhere; for the Heat to sign him -- at a discount -- Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade would have to opt out of their contracts and re-sign for less money.

I really am a educator

A report surfaced Tuesday from ESPN that Raptors point guard Kyle Lowry and the Miami Heat share a 'mutual interest.' Lowry is set to be an unrestricted free agent this summer.

"The guy who has mutual interest with the Heat and who fits a position of need is Kyle Lowry," ESPN's Brian Windhorst said in a video interview. Lowry could attract max offers from the Raptors and elsewhere; for the Heat to sign him -- at a discount -- Chris Bosh, LeBron James and Dwyane Wade would have to opt out of their contracts and re-sign for less money.

LMAO educator of what?

really you stated Lowry to Heat ? or was it me

Why are you proud of that?

Everyone "Heat need a PG"

Swift "Heat should get the best PG on the market"

GREAT insight there buddy. Hawks need a SF, we should look at Lebron.

And then theres this

“The guy who has mutual interest with the Heat and plays a position of need would be Kyle Lowry of the Toronto Raptors,” reports ESPN’s Brian Windhorst. “But that, again, is a long shot unless these guys take big pay cuts.”

The mutual interest part seems silly, considering that most free agents would sign up to play in Miami alongside James, Wade and Bosh if the contract price was right. But Lowry simply seems like he’d cost too much.

The difference there will be no reports of Lebron possibly joining the Hawks

I wouldn't be surprised that Lowry and KLove fin there way to Heat

I highly doubt that the Heat could get Kevin Love, especially this offseason because they really have no high value assets they can trade to MIN to get him.

Love won't have a chance to be an FA until after next season, where he can chose to opt out of the final year of his contract.

I highly doubt that the Heat could get Kevin Love, especially this offseason because they really have no high value assets they can trade to MIN to get him.

Love won't have a chance to be an FA until after next season, where he can chose to opt out of the final year of his contract.

3 way trade .. Highly unlikely but your take

Cavs recieve

Bosh sign and Trade

Brewer

Heats - first round picks for next two years

13th Pick Minny

Minny

1st pick in draft

Tristian Thompson

Dion Waiters

Heat recieve

Jarret Jack

Kevin Love

Minny starting lineup

PG- Rubio

SG- Waiters

SF- Wiggins

PF- Tristian Thompson

C- Pekovic

Got some good young talent

Cle

PG- Kyrie Irving

SG-Gary Harris (draft pick )

SF- Anthony Bennet

PF- Chris Bosh

C- Pau Gasol ( signing)

Miami

PG- Jarret Jack

SG- Dwayne Wade

SF- Lebron James

PF- Kevin Love

C- Birdman

Also, if cleveland is giving up number one, Thompson, and waiters they could probably do better than an aging Bosh, 13, and a few almost 2md rounders.

At least I would if I was Cleveland. Id rather have number 1 than a one year deal with Bosh.

So basically you're trading Thompson and waiters for 13,brewer,and 2 borderline 2nds. As well as a downgrade from number one.

And on the Heat side of things. Is jack really an upgrade to Chalmers? Maybe slightly.

And then you have Kevin Love. Good offensive decision, but makes them weaker defensively, and I'd still see SA rolling over that team next year.

Not to mention I think that would put the Heat extremely close to the cap with just that starting 5.

3 way trade .. Highly unlikely but your take

Cavs recieve

Bosh sign and Trade

Brewer

Heats - first round picks for next two years

13th Pick Minny

Minny

1st pick in draft

Tristian Thompson

Dion Waiters

Heat recieve

Jarret Jack

Kevin Love

Minny starting lineup

PG- Rubio

SG- Waiters

SF- Wiggins

PF- Tristian Thompson

C- Pekovic

Got some good young talent

Cle

PG- Kyrie Irving

SG-Gary Harris (draft pick )

SF- Anthony Bennet

PF- Chris Bosh

C- Pau Gasol ( signing)

Miami

PG- Jarret Jack

SG- Dwayne Wade

SF- Lebron James

PF- Kevin Love

C- Birdman

I just don't see that happening, especially with Bosh having complete control over where he wants to go if he opts out.

Also, It has been reported that the Cavs like Embiid so i'm not sure why they wouldn't just draft Embiid over signing an aging Pau Gasol at center.

I just don't see that happening, especially with Bosh having complete control over where he wants to go if he opts out.

Also, It has been reported that the Cavs like Embiid so i'm not sure why they wouldn't just draft Embiid over signing an aging Pau Gasol at center.

It just doesn't make sense for the Cavaliers to give away so much for a player that could be a FA, and would have to agree to go there.

If they really want to spend that much on Bosh, and Bosh wants to be there, just tell him to opt out, pay him, and keep number one and 2 young guys.

much stronger team that way

It just doesn't make sense for the Cavaliers to give away so much for a player that could be a FA, and would have to agree to go there.

If they really want to spend that much on Bosh, and Bosh wants to be there, just tell him to opt out, pay him, and keep number one and 2 young guys.

much stronger team that way

I agree

Bosh could just opt out and cost the Cavs nothing if he was interested in going there.

The Heat still does not really have any interesting assets to bring to the table that will make teams interested in trading with them, especially to acquire Love.

I was just free balling it there . I don't see Bosh ever deciding to go to Cleveland but if he was to opt in Miami would have some control of situation

The Cavs have to find a way to keep Kyrie so they give him a top 10 PF and a sign a C like Gasol and take a shot next couple of years . To be honest that's not a bad team.

Is the number #1 pick more valueable than Bosh, Minny and Heats draft picks probably but can the Cavs risk worth waiting around for Embid or Wiggins to develop ?

Like I said free balling but it's trade that make sense