Fastballs And Tommy John Then And Now

Nono

Happy Father's Day to you dads

Was kinda curious why so many pitchers were blowing out their elbows versus 20 years ago. Was it because we didn't publicize or diagnose elbow injuries as much then? Or perhaps pitchers threw more often and with less effort.

I heard Leo Mazzone saying just that, more often and with less exertion. Perhaps we should listen, but if your not cracking 90+ youre not in the bigs today your not on anyone's roster.

I was curious, so I googled how fast Sandy Koufax's fastest fastball was. I mean here's one of the most dominant fastball pitchers of the modern era. 93.2 was the fastest clocked pitch he threw. Nowadays most everyone throws that hard and may just be the explanation for all those Tommy John's

What do you think?

Edited by Nono

It is an absolute epidemic in baseball. I don't know what the answer is, but it is obviously related to too much work early on in high school/college/JUCO. You're exactly right, unless they're gun slingers they won't make it to the show, but they are doing serious damage to their elbows to get there.

This post is just riddled with spelling and grammatical issues. Come on, nono. Have some respect for yourself and proofread before you post.

Leo Mazzone is a moron.

Jesus you're a *****, happy Father's Day. I am by the pool correcting the grammar for you

Leo is a lot more Brilliant than you

How old are you anyway? 12 this is a place where folks add their thoughts and ideas and share opinions, not have some smart *** jump up and down on every thread like a nazi

You need to chill

Edited by Nono

It's manifold:

1) Pitchers are throwing harder than before with sharper breaking balls. Combine the two and you're putting tremendous stress on your elbow.

2) Pitchers in the minor leagues are on pitch counts so they're not building up as much stamina.

3) Pitchers in the minor leagues are also throwing breaking pitches way too much in order to perfect them.

4) Kids in little league and high school are throwing pitches they should not be throwing. Their elbow ligaments haven't developed fully yet but they are throwing curveballs, sliders, and other pitches like them in order to get a leg up and standout. I don't know about others but when I was a kid I was told never to throw a curveball due to that.

5) Deliveries are more geared for generating torque to get more velocity than relaxing the arm.

Jesus you're a *****, happy Father's Day. I am by the pool correcting the grammar for you

Leo is a lot more Brilliant than you

I'm just trying to help you, man.

Leo made his career riding the coattails of HOF pitchers. Do you really think he had anything to do with the success of one of the best pitching staffs of all time? It's pretty well known that he was terrible with rookie pitchers as well.

It's manifold:

1) Pitchers are throwing harder than before with sharper breaking balls. Combine the two and you're putting tremendous stress on your elbow.

2) Pitchers in the minor leagues are on pitch counts so they're not building up as much stamina.

3) Pitchers in the minor leagues are also throwing breaking pitches way too much in order to perfect them.

4) Kids in little league and high school are throwing pitches they should not be throwing. Their elbow ligaments haven't developed fully yet but they are throwing curveballs, sliders, and other pitches like them in order to get a leg up and standout. I don't know about others but when I was a kid I was told never to throw a curveball due to that.

5) Deliveries are more geared for generating torque to get more velocity than relaxing the arm.

Well said

Happy Father's Day to you dads

Was kinda curious why so many pitchers were blowing out their elbows versus 20 years ago. Was it because we didn't publicize or diagnose elbow injuries as much then? Or perhaps pitchers threw more often and with less effort.

I heard Leo Mazzone saying just that, more often and with less exertion. Perhaps we should listen, but if your not cracking 90+ youre not in the bigs today your not on anyone's roster.

I was curious, so I googled how fast Sandy Koufax's fastest fastball was. I mean here's one of the most dominant fastball pitchers of the modern era. 93.2 was the fastest clocked pitch he threw. Nowadays most everyone throws that hard and may just be the explanation for all those Tommy John's

What do you think?

Before edits: F

After edits: C-

Better, but still not your best work. Keep trying!

We've had this discussion in the Braves forum.

It always comes back around to kids playing year round their entire lives now. It never gives their body any time to rest. Couple that with the pitches they're throwing, and how hard they work them self to throw harder and harder, and bad things happen