But that's the thing dude, I don't care about 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019.

You will when those years come around.

Are you willing to have losing seasons in say 2016 and 2017 to have a big push in 2014? Are you willing to spend big in 2014, even if it might mean being unable to afford keeping Julio Jones?

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will when those years come around.

Are you willing to have losing seasons in say 2016 and 2017 to have a big push in 2014? Are you willing to spend big in 2014, even if it might mean being unable to afford keeping Julio Jones?

I'll keep bringing up the Saints because they work the salary cap better than any other team I can use as an example of how to build a franchise that can be competitive year in and year out and ultimately win the Super Bowl. That's all I want, I want to see the Falcons win the Super Bowl. They can't do it building through the draft because Thomas Dimitroff is horrible at drafting guys that make an impact in the later rounds of the draft. Those guys just end up being wasted picks year after year after year. There's a reason the Falcons can't survive having injuries like other teams can. It's because they have no quality depth because of Dimitroff's horrible draft record. So that means Dimitroff is going to have to be a big player in free agency in order to improve the team greatly. The Falcons are good right now, Brandon Flowers will make them better. We can worry about future years when it's time to worry about future years.

I think TD might have wanted to keep both if he could. Hindsight is 20/20.

It was a measured cyclist ion that didn't work out..... IMO he was trying to go the "better to get rid of them a year early than a year late" theory.

Worked to some degree with Turner and Clabo---- failed to the extent that the replacements were unspectacular at best.

In hindsight..... On a limited snap count like that what Osi will see this season as a DPR, Abe certainly almost would still be a better option.

But you win some, you lose some. The difference between Abe and Osi was not the reason we go from 13-3 to 4-12

I say spend it all. At most save 2mil for an emergency. Nobody available when and if needed should cost much more than that anyway.

On a sidenote I thought this was a Money Mat Bryant thread. Was a tad relieved it didnt say he was hurt. (knock on wood) Also a tad disappointed it wasn't praising our very awesome kicker.

When you can possibly get a Pro Bowl CB when your starting CB's are 2nd year guys albeit **** good ones you got to try. It approves your team, I want them to spend every available dime right up to an emergency fund. and yes I know they need a pass rusher too.

When you can possibly get a Pro Bowl CB when your starting CB's are 2nd year guys albeit **** good ones you got to try. It approves your team, I want them to spend every available dime right up to an emergency fund. and yes I know they need a pass rusher too.

Exactly. There are no pass rushers available so improve the secondary by signing Flowers. Coverage sacks are still sacks.

Yeah, i have to laugh when its reported we signed someone, and some around here say, "well lets wait and see for how much to determine if its a good signing." Lol. I mean the play on the field and plays that help our team win is the only thibg that will determine if its a good signing. I lol everytime i see people say that...

Yeah, i have to laugh when its reported we signed someone, and some around here say, "well lets wait and see for how much to determine if its a good signing." Lol. I mean the play on the field and plays that help our team win is the only thibg that will determine if its a good signing. I lol everytime i see people say that...

Yep, exactly.

Abraham did not get cut because of money reasons. Abraham got cut because Dimitroff mistakenly thought Abraham was done. Trueblood was signed a week before the season started after the Falcons had the injury to Mike Johnson. If Johnson never gets hurt then Trueblood would have never been signed. Neither move had anything to do with a lack of money because of Ryan's contract.

It honestly wasn't a mistake letting Abraham go. I loved Abe, but the truth is he doesn't have many 10 sack seasons left. The mistake was not grooming his successor ealier.

To be fair to Dimitroff though, the time to draft his successor was the year after we traded for him. The same with Grady Jackson, we should have been looking for the next Grady the year after we signed him.

Once you figure out how important a type of guy is to your scheme, you should be looking for a back up that can learn underneath the current guy.

That's how Pittsburgh maintains a defense. Obviously you can't always do that. Finding the next Polamalu isn't an easy task.

Same here. Last time the Falcons had a defense anywhere near decent was 2004 and even that defense had the forgettable 8 rushing touchdowns game against the Chiefs.

That was the week that Rod Coleman had his mystery car accident. Everything about that week was shady as ****.

except that it has actually? Do you think if Ryan didn't have the contract that he did or even if Gonzalez took a pay-cut and played just for the ring like he claimed, then TD wouldn't have cut Abe? Maybe he would have a signed another offensive linemen except Trueblood.

Before Trueblood was signed last season we had all off about $7 mil left to spend. $7mil isn't enough for Abraham , a decent starter at RT nor anyone to cover an injury. The reason he was insistent on Holmes and Schraeder was because he didn't have money on anyone new and hoped Holmes could just develop and take over.

http://www.thefalcoh...for-emergencies

You don't understand how the cap works if you think 7 mil isn't enough. Saint's had 3 mil or so cap space when they signed Byrd to a huge contract.

Cutting Abe was a bad decision in hindsight, but it wasn't motivated by money. They could have easily found ways to keep Abe if they'd wanted to.

And, Abe would have done what Osi did here, in ARI, he had a much better Dline to take double teams off of him.

Same with RT- they had plenty of money to spend, they thought Holmes was better than he was- another bad decision, but not one forced on them by money.

If only Thomas Dimitroff had proven that he could build a Super Bowl winning team through the draft would you be correct. But Thomas Dimitroff has yet to prove that. In fact Thomas Dimitroff has built a team that has won 1 single solitary playoff game in the 6 years he's been here. Even Tim Tebow managed to lead a pretty average Broncos team to 1 playoff win.

Tired of hearing the Tebow comparision- give Ryan that D and he wins the super bowl, that win was a fluke as evidenced by the fact they got killed the next playoff game, cut Tebow the next year and he never started again.

You don't understand how the cap works if you think 7 mil isn't enough. Saint's had 3 mil or so cap space when they signed Byrd to a huge contract.

Cutting Abe was a bad decision in hindsight, but it wasn't motivated by money. They could have easily found ways to keep Abe if they'd wanted to.

And, Abe would have done what Osi did here, in ARI, he had a much better Dline to take double teams off of him.

Same with RT- they had plenty of money to spend, they thought Holmes was better than he was- another bad decision, but not one forced on them by money.

Tired of hearing the Tebow comparision- give Ryan that D and he wins the super bowl, that win was a fluke as evidenced by the fact they got killed the next playoff game, cut Tebow the next year and he never started again.

You mean the same Broncos defense that year that gave up over 30 points like 6 times that year including a 35-32 win over the Vikings because of Tebow?

I say spend it all. At most save 2mil for an emergency. Nobody available when and if needed should cost much more than that anyway.

On a sidenote I thought this was a Money Mat Bryant thread. Was a tad relieved it didnt say he was hurt. (knock on wood) Also a tad disappointed it wasn't praising our very awesome kicker.

lol

You mean the same Broncos defense that year that gave up over 30 points like 6 times that year including a 35-32 win over the Vikings because of Tebow?

That D was continually stressed by the multitude of 3 and outs Tebow produced. Basic point stands- Tebow was let go the next year and never started again.

That D was continually stressed by the multitude of 3 and outs Tebow produced. Basic point stands- Tebow was let go the next year and never started again.

Do you not remember that Kyle Orton was the Broncos starting QB at the beginning of that season and the Broncos lost a game against the Packers and gave up 49 points?

In the NFL you can roll unspent money over to the next year..

IF IF IF you knew there was a very good LT(just an example) becoming a FA next year

WHY would you want to spend all of this year's money NOW???

Because just because x player might be a free agent next year there's no guarantees that he will be a free agent and there's no guarantees that he would come here. You would be saving money for a big might happen.

But that's the thing dude, I don't care about 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018 and 2019. All I care about is 2014. Do whatever it takes to win in 2014. When it's time to focus on 2015 then we'll focus on that and how the money situation shakes out. The salary cap is going to be going up greatly each season thanks to the new TV deals. Rookie contracts aren't going up with the rookie salary cap in place. That means more money to spend on veteran NFL players in free agency.

Also I'm not just thinking about cornerback in this situation. I'm thinking about how signing Flowers would improve the entire defense.

This approach to team building will rarely, if ever, be effective.