Here's An Interesting Stat For Ya....

I subscribe to a small football history periodical called Coffin Corner, which has a recent article ranking coaches by Average Points Scored per Game (sorry, no link). This is an all-time list, going all the way back to the 20's, for coaches with 80 games minimum under their belts. Any guesses where any of the Falcons coaches came in?

Who did you guess?

Mike Smith comes in at number eight (!), with an average of 24.9 points per game. In other words, on average, only seven other coaches in pro-football history have scored more points (per game) than the Falcons over the course of his tenure. I was floored by that. I wouldn't have guessed any Falcons coach would be anywhere near the top of this list, esp Smith with all the dissatisfaction with Mularkey at the end, and last season's debacle.

He beats out guys like Belichick (24.6), Walsh (24.4), Landry (23.6), Shula (23.6), Dungy (23.2), Holmgren (23.0), and Reid (23.0).

A few of the folks ahead of him: S.Payton(#1 - 28.1), Martz (#3 - 26.5), Seifert (#6 - 25.2), Lombardi (#7 - 24.9). Not bad company...

I subscribe to a small football history periodical called Coffin Corner, which has a recent article ranking coaches by Average Points Scored per Game (sorry, no link). This is an all-time list, going all the way back to the 20's, for coaches with 80 games minimum under their belts. Any guesses where any of the Falcons coaches came in?

Who did you guess?

Mike Smith comes in at number eight (!), with an average of 24.9 points per game. In other words, on average, only seven other coaches in pro-football history have scored more points (per game) than the Falcons over the course of his tenure. I was floored by that. I wouldn't have guessed any Falcons coach would be anywhere near the top of this list, esp Smith with all the dissatisfaction with Mularkey at the end, and last season's debacle.

He beats out guys like Belichick (24.6), Walsh (24.4), Landry (23.6), Shula (23.6), Dungy (23.2), Holmgren (23.0), and Reid (23.0).

A few of the folks ahead of him: S.Payton(#1 - 28.1), Martz (#3 - 26.5), Seifert (#6 - 25.2), Lombardi (#7 - 24.9). Not bad company...

whats his defensive numbers as compared to those other coaches? that's the difference in winning in the regular season and winning in the playoffs

whats his defensive numbers as compared to those other coaches? that's the difference in winning in the regular season and winning in the playoffs

yes, a very good point. he didn't rank in the top 25 - unfortunate for a defensive minded coach!

however, he was number 20 on the Largest Average Margin of Victory list, with 5.1 pts (no.1 was Lombardi with 8.8). that's surprising to me, considering all the talk that we never win decisively.

"Cool but I think that's more on Matt and the players rather than Smith."

Mmmm, I don't know about that. True, it certainly helps to have players of Ryan, White, and Julio's caliber, but you do have to make the decisions to go and get those guys, as well as the right coordinators, and to game plan against other teams, as well as motivate those players (yes, TD helps here). If this we basketball, I think your point might be more salient, but I think you have to give credit where it's due in this case.

Edited by Tallahassee

Pretty cool IMO, of course the Smith is the worst coach ever brigade will be here shortly. The guy ain't perfect that's for sure and definitely has his short comings but he's done a decent job. A fact so many seem to forget is you can't win in the playoffs unless you get there first. I'll take a guy who continues to get us there and continues to learn once we're there over some new unproven guy off the street. My love of winning trumps my want for finding a new one.

Here's to another year, and hopes that we prevail. I haven't lost faith just yet. No amount of peccimism will change that either. When the time does come I will welcome the change with open arms. Until then I support the guy who helped make this team respectable for a change.

Pretty cool IMO, of course the Smith is the worst coach ever brigade will be here shortly. The guy ain't perfect that's for sure and definitely has his short comings but he's done a decent job. A fact so many seem to forget is you can't win in the playoffs unless you get there first. I'll take a guy who continues to get us there and continues to learn once we're there over some new unproven guy off the street. My love of winning trumps my want for finding a new one.

Here's to another year, and hopes that we prevail. I haven't lost faith just yet. No amount of peccimism will change that either. When the time does come I will welcome the change with open arms. Until then I support the guy who helped make this team respectable for a change.

Worst. Coach. EVER.

there goes the conservative/ Smittyball thought as well

Mike Smith is a very good coach . Falcons not winning a SB hasn't been his fault. He deserves some blame for playoff failures but on his shoulders or he should be the fall guy

I will never see it that way

I understand that some people want him gone and lack of playoff success is concerning but Mike Smith is arguably greatest coach we ever had

Guest Negatorris

When they score, it's the players, when they don't, Smith is holding them back? Please

Well it's now confirmed that you live in your own little fantasy world.

Mike Smith is a very good coach . Falcons not winning a SB hasn't been his fault. He deserves some blame for playoff failures but on his shoulders or he should be the fall guy

I understand that some people want him gone and lack of playoff success is concerning but Mike Smith is arguably greatest coach we ever had

I agree with this post, but I think you have to remove "arguably." Who even comes close?

Dan Reeves

Don't get me wrong, I'm a big Reeves fan - but he doesn't come close in terms of sustaining success. He had a .454 winning % over the same number of seasons as Smith, who is a .625% (even after last season). Reeves has 2 winning seasons, Smith has had 5.

Guest Dirty Bird Nation ®

Dan Reeves

yea honestly in the end if i'm not getting a superbowl win from either of them then I rather have Smith, because he has continued success. If Reeves had won the big on then it would be no question. But simply getting there and putting isn't as good as having a guy that can make your team relevant for 5 years.

Cool but I think that's more on Matt and the players rather than Smith.

Well, Walsh got credit for HOFers Montana and Rice, Belichick got credit for Brady and players, Payton got credit for Brees and players, Dungy for Manning. and so on...........

See how that works.

WHAT?! That makes no sense. You need a defense to win. Period. That doesnt change in the post season.

This backs my point that points don't always mean playoff or SB

I dont know. We have seen plenty of playoff teams under Smith. Points are needed to get there.

I agree. The lack of playoff success (I know most will bash me for this) is due to a small sample size. We have only had 5 playoff games in Smiths time in Atlanta. We have had 96 regular season games. Obviously we can win games. Just because we lost some games to good teams in the playoffs (all 4 teams we lost to went to the super bowl, 2 won it) doesnt mean we are a bad team or that we cant win in the playoffs. We are talking about a sample of 5 games from which people are going to draw conclusions as they toss aside 96 games of success?

I do find the offensive success interesting considering Smittys defensive background. I dont know what to make of that. He is known as a very conservative, safe, defensive coach, yet his offense is much better than his defense....maybe we dont know as much about Smitty as we think we do