The Children Will Be Safe At School Now

Bulletproof blanket seeks to shield kids during school shootings

The bright orange bulletproof Bodyguard Blanket is geared at protecting kids from danger during school shootings or natural disasters.

While the Bodyguard is also built to help protect children from falling debris during natural disasters like tornadoes, much of the marketing around the product concerns the potential for school shootings. It's the reason the blanket was created in the first place.

Technically, the Bodyguard is bullet-resistant. It's made from the same materials used in military and law enforcement body armor. Instead of having kids put on a flak vest, though, it puts the material in a form that can be folded up and then unfolded to create a body shelter. It has straps that help hold it in place like a backpack. ProTecht posted a video of the blanket undergoing a ballistics test, if you're curious about how it behaves under fire.

Bullet-resistant materials aren't cheap. The Bodyguard comes with a price tag just shy of $1,000, though ProTecht hopes to partner with schools and nonprofits to make it more affordable to buy in bulk. Even with a substantial discount, it will likely be out of reach for many school districts.

This isn't the first time we've seen a bulletproof product for the classroom. A bulletproof whiteboard that doubles as a shield appeared early last year. In a better world, no one would even have the impetus to dream up products like these. The Bodyguard Blanket will likely rouse a lot of differing opinions. Do you think it's excessive or practical?

http://www.cnet.com/news/bulletproof-bodyguard-blanket-designed-to-shield-schoolkids/?ttag=fbwp

As more and more of these school shootings happen, I foresee one potential solution as armed resource officers/security guards being posted at most, if not all schools sometime in the not so distant future. They're not going to ban guns, and they're not going to do anything to improve mental health care and screening in this country, so one of the viable alternatives to protect our schools will be armed, trained individuals. This country is only going to tolerate so many more of these school shootings, which are happening with ever increasing frequency, before we move towards that. I don't know how they'll do it, or if they can even pass a law requiring it. So I dunno.

As more and more of these school shootings happen, I foresee one potential solution as armed resource officers/security guards being posted at most, if not all schools sometime in the not so distant future. They're not going to ban guns, and they're not going to do anything to improve mental health care and screening in this country, so one of the viable alternatives to protect our schools will be armed, trained individuals. This country is only going to tolerate so many more of these school shootings, which are happening with ever increasing frequency, before we move towards that. I don't know how they'll do it, or if they can even pass a law requiring it. So I dunno.

Funny and somewhat sad story. When I was in Jr High we had a campus security guard named Buster. There had been a lot of fights and drug problems so they decided to hire a cop as security. He ended up getting locked up for selling cocaine to the Jr High kids. Last time I was in town i bought some popcorn form him at the movie theater laugh.png

More guns!

Funny and somewhat sad story. When I was in Jr High we had a campus security guard named Buster. There had been a lot of fights and drug problems so they decided to hire a cop as security. He ended up getting locked up for selling cocaine to the Jr High kids. Last time I was in town i bought some popcorn form him at the movie theater laugh.png

We had a resource officer who worked at the school where my brother is a basketball coach. He got nailed for banging a junior and they found out that he was sexting her. When the news about the photos hit the air waves, another girl went to authorities to come clean because she thought that it was referring to her. Dude's wife was the lead anchorwoman on one of the local news channels and is 10 times better looking than any teeny bopper in that school.