How Spoon's Injury Changes Our D.

Rather he is overrrated our not, is not the point. Spoon is without a doubt the most versatile LB we've got.

With him out, it means we have to look for a new ILB to play beside Worrilow. We have: Dent, Smallwood, Shembo and Bartu. Neither really has what it takes but I reckon they will all make the roster. I think the best of the players are Shembo, hand down! but I would still go with Bartu, he was very good last year.

• Replies 127
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

If we were going to run more 4-3 base Id be more worried but Bartu stepped up last year in Spoons absence and is more than capable of doing it again this year. Him and Wor, backed up by Dent and Shembo will do just fine as our ILB's. Bartu is every bit as versatile as Spoon and probably better in coverage.

Finding the right fit in 3 LB formations is my concern. Do we bring Dent in as Mlb and have Wor and Bartu as Olbs? Does Shembo have what it takes to play SLB and keep Wor in the middle?

Good thing we commited to 3-4 because we are over saturated with ILBs

^ This .........I mean, a guy who tears his achilles jogging with trainers prolly was not going to last more than a couple games anyway.

I don't think your being serious but for people who aren't familiar with Achilles tears, people tear them doing the slightest movement all the time. I've heard several stories if people tearing their Achilles when just stepping out of vehicles.

But to the main point, he prob would have got injured in some fashion I don't think he just has weak tendons though haha

I don't think your being serious but for people who aren't familiar with Achilles tears, people tear them doing the slightest movement all the time. I've heard several stories if people tearing their Achilles when just stepping out of vehicles.

But to the main point, he prob would have got injured in some fashion I don't think he just has weak tendons though haha

Look , the guy has been injury prone and average from day 1. I had no faith in him making more than a few games this year anyway. I don't think he was so important/great that he can not be replaced. Sometimes you just have to cut bait.

It changes the defense a lot . You lose leadership and a vocal leader, You lose a talent and depth

You throwing rookies into fire and look how that turned out last year

Hurts the run defense , hurts the ablity to offer different looks and losses a potential sack guy / difference maker with game changing plays.

Sounds like he was a good draft pick by TD then.

Look , the guy has been injury prone and average from day 1. I had no faith in him making more than a few games this year anyway. I don't think he was so important/great that he can not be replaced. Sometimes you just have to cut bait.

Look, the guy definitely was above average. In 2011 he was the #4 overall rated OLB IIRC. Let's not act like he was just average.

Yeah he is replaceable. Yeah I think Bartu will do a fine job. But Spoon was most definitely not average.

Look, the guy definitely was above average. In 2011 he was the #4 overall rated OLB IIRC. Let's not act like he was just average.

Yeah he is replaceable. Yeah I think Bartu will do a fine job. But Spoon was most definitely not average.

Yea, he had one good year. I just never saw him as a havoc wreaker when he actually was on the field. . I am sad he is gone, and he had serious potential but losing him is not the end of the world IMO.

Rookies will still be back ups, they arent being thrown in to the proverbial fire. They just inch one slot closer to seeing the field.

And....

Spoon was vocal yes. He was energetic yes. Was he a leader??? Maybe when he was healthy last year but before that Pete was the spoken leader of the LBs. The one year Spoon had the unit to himself he missed several games and had to cheer while on crutches from the sideline. He will do so again this year. Guess what, Bartu and Wor did just fine without him.

Rather he is overrrated our not, is not the point. Spoon is without a doubt the most versatile LB we've got.

With him out, it means we have to look for a new ILB to play beside Worrilow. We have: Dent, Smallwood, Shembo and Bartu. Neither really has what it takes but I reckon they will all make the roster. I think the best of the players are Shembo, hand down! but I would still go with Bartu, he was very good last year.

it does not change our defense at all - supposedly Spoon was "80%" before he got hurt - after not electing for surgery to improve whatever mysterious leg injury he had (knee?). Spoon has shown himself not reliable to be healthy to answer the bell - maybe this is why we drafted the 3 ILBs anyway - I don't think Spoon was in the long-term plans of Dimitroff with his never-ending list of injuries.

I really doubt the Falcons were tailoring any part of their defense to Spoon's capabilities - anything they got out of him in 2014 was going to be a bonus - this is his contract year and he will not be maintained unless he signs a vet minimum "prove it" one year deal - that is the only scenario where I see him being re-signed - his market value will be the vet minimum.

ILB will now likely be Worrilow and Dent/Bartu battle to start at the other spot. UNless the rookies absolutely kill it, I expect a vet to come in as well.

The biggest affect this MIGHT have is running less 3-4 looks.

Actually think that's backwards- means they'll run fewer 4-3 looks-think most of the remaining LBs are much more suited for 3-4 looks.

it does not change our defense at all - supposedly Spoon was "80%" before he got hurt - after not electing for surgery to improve whatever mysterious leg injury he had (knee?). Spoon has shown himself not reliable to be healthy to answer the bell - maybe this is why we drafted the 3 ILBs anyway - I don't think Spoon was in the long-term plans of Dimitroff with his never-ending list of injuries.

I really doubt the Falcons were tailoring any part of their defense to Spoon's capabilities - anything they got out of him in 2014 was going to be a bonus - this is his contract year and he will not be maintained unless he signs a vet minimum "prove it" one year deal - that is the only scenario where I see him being re-signed - his market value will be the vet minimum.

Bingo. I think they were planning on letting him go after this year anyway. You are the only one in all these Spoon threads to make that most valid of points....