Will Spoon Be Back In 2015

Spoon's Future In Atlanta  

203 members have voted

1. 1. Will Spoon Be Back In 2015

• Yes
    • No
    • Unsure

We know Spoon's contract is up at the end of the season. And we know that when healthy, Spoon was one of the top 4-3 WLB's in the NFL. And we know that he was our emotional leader on D. Even when he was on the sidelines injured last season he still showed outstanding leadership.

I said it last week and i'll say it again, I still think he will be back on a short/cheap deal similar to what Corey Peters got. I think it will be more than Peters got, but nothing crazy. We are more familiar with him then other teams and he is more familiar with us.

Why would we not want to resign him when he will be cheap? Thats a thought i don't understand. He will be cheap, a great leader, and a very good player when healthy. If we sign him and he gets hurt then it doesn't effect our cap much anyways. Just my opinion.

Edit And to the poster i made the username bet with a week ago, this injury changes nothing. I'm staying with it.

• Replies 139
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nope. Nope. Nope. He better never get a chance to put on a Falcons jersey again. It's time to start getting rid of injury prone players instead of rewarding them like we did with Baker. Nothing against the guy personally because if he could stay healthy he's everything you'd want in a LBer: but he can't, so he isn't.

Why in the world would that make sense? We just drafted 4 LBs. You really think Spoon wasn't already on the hot seat?

Like tuggle said, its more a question if he plays at all.

Its hard to find a contract after a season ending injury. Its even harder to find one when the MAJORITY of your career has been spent with an injury.

Why in the world would that make sense? We just drafted 4 LBs. You really think Spoon wasn't already on the hot seat?

Like tuggle said, its more a question if he plays at all.

Its hard to find a contract after a season ending injury. Its even harder to find one when the MAJORITY of your career has been spent with an injury.

No I don't think Spoon was on the hot seat. Which LB did we draft that was going to threaten him for starts? We drafted two mid rounders and two 7th rounders.

It's a very low risk and high reward if we sign him for cheap. And please explain how it's hard to do a contract

Coming off a serious injury. We just did that with Peters who was not near as good at his position as Spoon was when healthy.

No I don't think Spoon was on the hot seat. Which LB did we draft that was going to threaten him for starts? We drafted two mid rounders and two 7th rounders.

It's a very low risk and high reward if we sign him for cheap. And please explain how it's hard to do a contract

Coming off a serious injury. We just did that with Peters who was not near as good at his position as Spoon was when healthy.

You don't draft 4 LBs when you think you're solid at all spots. WOR isn't going anywhere. Spoon was a FA next season. They clearly were building up for the chance he wasn't around in 2015. It just happened a year earlier.

Spoon isn't a LT. He isn't Baker. Were not going to continue paying a player that is injured HALF of the time. OLB is not that tough of a position to fill.

Bartu in half a season had as good as any season as Spoon has had in any year.

As an undrafted rookie.. Same goes for Worrilow.

If they can develop the leadership ability that Spoon had he is highly expendable. We drafted 4 other LBs plus Kroy and Mass are considered as such in the 3-4 scheme.

We know Spoon's contract is up at the end of the season. And we know that when healthy, Spoon was one of the top 4-3 WLB's in the NFL. And we know that he was our emotional leader on D. Even when he was on the sidelines injured last season he still showed outstanding leadership.

I said it last week and i'll say it again, I still think he will be back on a short/cheap deal similar to what Corey Peters got. I think it will be more than Peters got, but nothing crazy. We are more familiar with him then other teams and he is more familiar with us.

Why would we not want to resign him when he will be cheap? Thats a thought i don't understand. He will be cheap, a great leader, and a very good player when healthy. If we sign him and he gets hurt then it doesn't effect our cap much anyways. Just my opinion.

Edit And to the poster i made the username bet with a week ago, this injury changes nothing. I'm staying with it.

It's quite possible we bring him back really cheap on a 1 year prove-it deal. If it happens, that will primarily be because no other team is willing to take that risk, so for 'spoon, it may be a minimum deal from us or nothing. That said, if Worrilow & Bartu prove that their rookie seasons were not flukes & the rookies this year all step up, along with Biermann coming back strong & Maponga/Massaquoi living up to expectations, we might not even offer the prove it deal.

Personally, I think we've seen 'spoon play his last game for the Falcons.

You don't draft 4 LBs when you think you're solid at all spots. WOR isn't going anywhere. Spoon was a FA next season. They clearly were building up for the chance he wasn't around in 2015. It just happened a year earlier.

Spoon isn't a LT. He isn't Baker. Were not going to continue paying a player that is injured HALF of the time. OLB is not that tough of a position to fill.

Drafting two 7th round LBs isn't a sign that Spoon was on the hotseat. Shembo doesn't offer what spoon does. spruil has a chance to. Don't get caught up in the number of LBs.

Who said anything about Baker. Peters injured his Achilles and we signed him to a contract so why can't we do the same for Spoon? You said contracts coming off serious injury are hard. How is that?

Spoon has averaged 10 games a year in his career....

Add in this one and its down to 8.

Let's continue to count on a guy that spends half his time on the bench. Um why? You say its cheap. A roster spot is invaluable in this day and age. Gimme a player that I can count on.

It is almost a statistical fact that spoon will miss significant time

I don't want him back. He is at best a chronic under-achiever and at worst a completely wasted roster spot. This injury would be the final nail in his coffin if I ran the team, but unless Spoon ends up an amputee during rehab I'm sure Smith will offer him a new contract.

Spoon has averaged 10 games a year in his career....

Add in this one and its down to 8.

Let's continue to count on a guy that spends half his time on the bench. Um why? You say its cheap. A roster spot is invaluable in this day and age. Gimme a player that I can count on.

It is almost a statistical fact that spoon will miss significant time

Still waiting on how it's hard to do a contract for a player coming off a serious injury.

And no one is saying we would be "counting on him". It's a cheap 1 year deal. If he is healthy you can't deny that he would be better than any bench player in the league so at very worst he is great depth. And that's worst case scenario if healthy.

And if his recovery is bad then cut him. If he gets hurt then IR him and that opens up a spot.

Still waiting on how it's hard to do a contract for a player coming off a serious injury.

And no one is saying we would be "counting on him". It's a cheap 1 year deal. If he is healthy you can't deny that he would be better than any bench player in the league so at very worst he is great depth. And that's worst case scenario if healthy.

And if his recovery is bad then cut him. If he gets hurt then IR him and that opens up a spot.

1. He costs a roster spot.

2. I'd rather give camp looks to someone that inst constantly injured.

You act like spoon is the only available option for talent, and if we don't resign him, were downgrading.

Let him go. Trust me, whoever replaces him will have more of an impact.

I have all the compassion in the world for Spoon but I would hope we have his position filled including second stringers at the end of the year.Best of luck to him as a man but as a football player I wouldn't want to waste 1 of the 53 roster spots on a player with that kind of injury history.