Mike Smith Says 3 Of 4 Lbs Drafted Will/could Make This Team

falcon057

They seem to be making an early impression

Young LBs Growing Fast: If you told Mike Smith a year ago that two undrafted linebackers would either lead the team in tackles or play more than 70 percent of the snaps in 2013, he would have looked at you like you had two heads. But that's exactly what happened with the emergence of Bartu and Paul Worrilowicon-article-link.gif, and Smith pointed at them as perhaps the most improved and matured players from last season. Smith also said that he's been impressed with the rookie linebackers the team added in the draft, saying that he'd be surprised if at least three of them didn't impact the Falcons defense or special teams this year.

• Replies 104
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maponga and Dent for sure....although not a LB Cliff Matthews could take a hike too and we could lean to more lbs. Which would make sense because we need more lbs for this multiple defense.

I forget Cliff Matthews is on the roster.

Plus what about Spruill?? Talking about a dude that has received ZERO airplay during this training camp. It's a guy we traded up for and I hear more about Tyler Starr (Mr. Almost Irrelevent) than I do about Spruill.

Flatout ... Dent is the one truely in troble.... To me Bartu was our true best rookie LB last year and Worrilow showed potential to become a good MLB.... Both are bigger and is getting rave reviews.... I think Shembo and Squill will make the roster also and we knoe spoon us here..... Bartu brings the value that he will line up on the outside at times.

I think we will try to stash smallwood on the PS

I forget Cliff Matthews is on the roster.

Plus what about Spruill?? Talking about a dude that has received ZERO airplay during this training camp. It's a guy we traded up for and I hear more about Tyler Starr (Mr. Almost Irrelevent) than I do about Spruill.

I'm personally not a fan of Spruill as I've have said too many times but I will root for him if the coaches see something.

I have been wrong before. For example I didnt like Willy Mo coming off his senior season in college although I liked his junior year.

Imma big fan of Yawin. I think he has top notch instincts for a MLB and would work very well in a cover 2 when we play that type of defense. I'm hoping he makes it in over Spruill personally.

Serious question here

Why does everyone write Maponga off so quickly???

Not writing him off but I just thinks he gets washed out. I see the LBs we have and drafted being better than him.

It sucks for him because he didn't get that experience because he was injured so now other than practice and classroom knowledge he is on the same level as the recently drafted LBs with I think less talent.

Maponga and Dent for sure....although not a LB Cliff Matthews could take a hike too and we could lean to more lbs. Which would make sense because we need more lbs for this multiple defense.

For 3 guys to make it, we gotta move one person outside, and cut 2 people. I do not see us carrying 5 ILBs, so Spoon and Worrilow are Locks, which leaves 2 spots for Bartu, dent, Spruill, Smallwood and now Shembo. I think Bartu moves outside. Smallwood and Dent are the most likely to get the boot.

Starr is probably battling Kroy Maponga and Matthews for 2 spots.

Not writing him off but I just thinks he gets washed out. I see the LBs we have and drafted being better than him.

It sucks for him because he didn't get that experience because he was injured so now other than practice and classroom knowledge he is on the same level as the recently drafted LBs with I think less talent.

Maponga was a much more talented PR in college than any of the ones we drafted, period ....

For 3 guys to make it, we gotta move one person outside, and cut 2 people. I do not see us carrying 5 ILBs, so Spoon and Worrilow are Locks, which leaves 2 spots for Bartu, dent, Spruill, Smallwood and now Shembo. I think Bartu moves outside. Smallwood and Dent are the most likely to get the boot.

What you just said agrees with everything I have written in this thread except for trade out Spruill getting the boot as opposed to Smallwood.

Other than that where do we differ?

To be honest, I think that the Falcons will carry 5 ILBs on the roster.

2 starters, 2 backups, and 1 swing ILB.

BOLD PREDICTION

The starting lineup before the season is over will be...

ROLB-Umenyiora

MLB-Worrilow

ILB-Spoon

LOLB-Spriull

With a little Bartu,Shembo,and Starr sprinkled in.

osi is already only a situational rusher. i cant imagine him gaining play time as the season progresses

Man I really struck a nerve with these Maponga fans.

I like the guy as well and if he stays it doesn't bother me one bit but calm down folks. It's just an opinion. Period....

It don't bother me just get tired of fans speaking and not knowing what they are talking about. Good posters looking bad lately and it's not as fun coming on here.

Maponga fell in the draft due to an injury and was still hurt during our OTAs and training camp. He got behind so he never played much. If you don't start you gotta play special teams well.

Plus he was a 5th round pick who came from a small school usually takes 2-3 years to develop. I except him and Mass to play well.

Man I really struck a nerve with these Maponga fans.

I like the guy as well and if he stays it doesn't bother me one bit but calm down folks. It's just an opinion. Period....

No problem, LOL he could be on the bubble no doubt, they all could.... is just good to have a lot of open comp at the LBer position.