Tablet Advice?

Girl wants an Android tablet and has been eyeing the Sony Xperia. She's been waiting for the price to drop on the old one since the new one just came out, but I'm thinking of just getting her a new one as a surprise.

1. Is this actually a good device? Based on my past experience with TVs/laptops/stereos, Sony is overpriced and Samsung makes the same, if not better, stuff for cheaper. Is it the same in the tablet world? Should I be looking at other brands?

2. Is the new one worth buying? It appears to only be like $50 more than the old one, but I donno what's actually upgraded other that it being a little lighter and having a new OS.

iPad>>>>>> All Android tablets. This has nothing to do with Apple bias. Apple just makes the best Mobile Tablets on the market and I have yet to see any android tablet match up. If she is dying for an android tablet, then get the Nexus 7. Kindle also makes a good Android tablet, but you are stuck with their ecosystem.

Surface is a good windows base tablet. I do not like windows 8, but the surface gets really good reviews.

So I would say

1) iPad

25) Surface Pro

26) Kindle Fire/Nexus 7.

****. I think it has to be a droid.

So Samsung is better than Sony at tabs too? That was my instinct.

If it has to be a droid, then I would go with Samsung. More features, more likely to get future updates, and better multitasking, but I would keep that receipt in your pocket, since Droid ecosystem/Apps for tablets sucks from what I heard.

****. I think it has to be a droid.

So Samsung is better than Sony at tabs too? That was my instinct.

Why a droid and what's she going to be using it for? The iPad Mini is a great tablet that isn't much more expensive than the 10" Android ones. If it's just for ebook and a few games, then that's something to consider.

I have a Lenovo. Love it.

ipads are overpriced. They have WiFi connectivity issues. They don't have expandable memory. The Retina display is actually made by Samsung.

You can get a comparable tablet for half the price, and get more memory. If you took the apple logo off of the iPad, it would be a mid-tier product.

I got an ipad this past Christmas. It has a nice leather cover on it. I've been using it mostly as a coaster.

Why not sell it? Apple products have great resell value. No point in keeping a 500 dollar coaster, when you could get most of it back and use that for something else.

I am not even going to respond to Optimus's post, since it is just going to start a fanboy war. The wifi issue was the only logical point he made, but to my knowledge that has been fixed and only affected a small amount of iPads.

This is actually my area of expertise lol.

A few questions:

-What's your price range?

-What type of cell phone does she have now? Android/Apple?

-What is she going to use it for?

-Size preference? 7", 8", 10", or 12"?

I'm not an Apple guy, but if she has an iPhone, look into the iPad, they play well together, plus there will be no learning curve.

I personally have last years Samsung Note tablet and love it. If I were buying a new one today and money were not a factor I would pick up the Samsung Pro(12" tablet).

Samsung has pretty much become the Apple of Android. They have the best spin on Android and quality hardware. All of their devices offer slots for expandable memory which is pretty convenient. If you're looking at a smaller tablet, I think the Nexus 7(2013 version) is the best 7" tablet on the market, the LG G-Pad is an 8" tablet which I think is very good as well, but I don't know if you can buy it without a cellular plan. Feel free to hit me up if you have more questions.

A few questions:

I'm not an Apple guy, but if she has an iPhone, look into the iPad, they play well together, plus there will be no learning curve.

I personally have last years Samsung Note tablet and love it. If I were buying a new one today and money were not a factor I would pick up the Samsung Pro(12" tablet).

Samsung has pretty much become the Apple of Android. They have the best spin on Android and quality hardware. All of their devices offer slots for expandable memory which is pretty convenient. If you're looking at a smaller tablet, I think the Nexus 7(2013 version) is the best 7" tablet on the market, the LG G-Pad is an 8" tablet which I think is very good as well, but I don't know if you can buy it without a cellular plan. Feel free to hit me up if you have more questions.

She's ironball's girlfriend, so it's safe to assume her size preference is under 6".

I have a Lenovo. Love it.

ipads are overpriced. They have WiFi connectivity issues. They don't have expandable memory. The Retina display is actually made by Samsung.

You can get a comparable tablet for half the price, and get more memory. If you took the apple logo off of the iPad, it would be a mid-tier product.

Which Lenovo model do you have? I guarantee that my iPad Air smokes it based on any of the speed benchmarks like Geekbench.

They are more expensive and they're not for everyone. But to call them a "mid-tier product" or to somehow compare them to a Lenovo tablet is just silly.

A few questions:

Price- I guess $550-$650. I know the Xperia tab she was looking at was somewhere in that range. I can spend more if it's worth it.

Phone- Android, an HTC something-or-the-other

Use- I imagine mostly reading, browsing, music, movies. Not any kind of heavy computing or games.

Size- I dunno. I'm looking at the Sony's on Amazon and I think something like 9.4" or 10.1" was what she was looking at. I might need to do a little more careful prying to find out about that.

We have AT&T for our phones, but I think she wants the tab to be wifi-only like our iPad.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Price- I guess $550-$650. I know the Xperia tab she was looking at was somewhere in that range. I can spend more if it's worth it.

Phone- Android, an HTC something-or-the-other

Use- I imagine mostly reading, browsing, music, movies. Not any kind of heavy computing or games.

Size- I dunno. I'm looking at the Sony's on Amazon and I think something like 9.4" or 10.1" was what she was looking at. I might need to do a little more careful prying to find out about that.

We have AT&T for our phones, but I think she wants the tab to be wifi-only like our iPad.

I appreciate any input. Thanks!

Staying with Android.. here are my suggestions:

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-10-1-Black/dp/B00F3SOHNU/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402439183&sr=1-1&keywords=samsung+note+10.1+2014

http://www.amazon.com/Samsung-Galaxy-Note-12-2-Black/dp/B00HWMPSK6/ref=sr_1_5?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1402439203&sr=1-5&keywords=samsung+pro

Why not sell it? Apple products have great resell value. No point in keeping a 500 dollar coaster, when you could get most of it back and use that for something else.

I am not even going to respond to Optimus's post, since it is just going to start a fanboy war. The wifi issue was the only logical point he made, but to my knowledge that has been fixed and only affected a small amount of iPads.

Has nothing to do with being a fanboy.

The WiFi issue is a consistent issue with iOS devices. I monitor our call drivers at work, and the vast majority of WiFi connectivity issues list iOS as the operating system. There is literally no bias in my statements. Just facts.

Which Lenovo model do you have? I guarantee that my iPad Air smokes it based on any of the speed benchmarks like Geekbench.

They are more expensive and they're not for everyone. But to call them a "mid-tier product" or to somehow compare them to a Lenovo tablet is just silly.

I didn't compare my Lenovo to an ipad. I simply stated that I own a Lenovo, and I rather enjoy it. And it was half the price of your iPad, and I am not limited by the internal memory.

And you can easily find any number of tablets that compare spec wise. The Samsung comes to mind. And they cost significantly less.

Apples MO is to make a product that is the exact same as others, throw an Apple sign on it, and market it like crazy. Period. The Macbook line comes to mind. Mac runs Intel chips. My laptop has comparable (better) stats than a Macbook with the same hardware. The difference is only in the price. The Macbook was $1800, my laptop was $750.

They were both i7, 8gb ram, 620gb for PC, 500gb for macbook.