Obama Derangement Syndrome...

Did any of those people know he was a deserter when they were asking the administration to get him home? The President knew before he traded 5 terrorists to bring him home. Just sayin...

Didn't watch the video, but a lot of the people criticizing him in the GOP sit on committees that had access to that information. Plus, some of the news reports from back in February mentioned these five people specifically.

Didn't watch the video, but a lot of the people criticizing him in the GOP sit on committees that had access to that information. Plus, some of the news reports from back in February mentioned these five people specifically.

Yes, people act like him being away from his camp is new... its not it has been known that he was captured away from camp since almost the get go......yet some of the same people still called for the president to do something..........and he did...... something that he was going to have to do at some point anyway.

I don't know anything. I'm not in the military or in the government. I know what the media shows, the same as everyone on this board. The media wasn't talking about him being a deserter when he was missing. They are now. And the people sending out Tweets are reacting to the current situation they see.

Supposedly, they have letters where he was writing about leaving camp and evidence of him being allowed to carry a gun while he was in captivity. That's what people are reacting to, so it's not a surprise that people are changing their tune.

For the record, I have not said Obama should be impeached or overreacted to any of the news. I also wasn't going rah rah while everybody else was screaming to get him back. I'm just pointing out the facts that are left out of this video prejudging the people sending contradicting Tweets. I pointed one out in another thread today where the news was claiming more Americans are going to get kidnapped that downplayed the doom and gloom tone against Obama.

By all information that I have seen, it seems that he deserted his post and that's how he came to be in the hands of the Taliban. I have refrained from calling him a traitor, but at the least it seems that he's guilty of desertion.

AWOL is not the same as "desertion". What evidence is there that he intended to be away from his post permanently?

Are you ******* serious AC? Have you been/are you in the service? I have, you don't ******* walk away from your duties..especially in an unfriendly environment. Dude is a shitbag.

So you're saying that the military classifies all instances of AWOL as "desertion"? Because I can show you the military regulations that say otherwise.

So you are not a vet...and YOU BECOME A DESERTER after being AWOL for thirty days,earlier under special instances. Not open for debate,end of discussion.

He was not AWOL for 30 days. He was captured by the Taliban well before he was missing for 30 days. Here is the Uniform Military Code of Justice and how it defines "Desertion" versus "AWOL". You're right, it's not open for debate. End of discussion. The military itself says that you're full of s***.

885. ART. 85. DESERTION

(a) Any member of the armed forces who--

(1) without authority goes or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to remain away therefrom permanently;

(2) quits his unit, organization, or place of duty with intent to avoid hazardous duty or to shirk important service; or

(3) without being regularly separated from one of the armed forces enlists or accepts an appointment in the same or another on of the armed forces without fully disclosing the fact that he has not been regularly separated, or enters any foreign armed service except when authorized by the United States; is guilty of desertion.

(B) Any commissioned officer of the armed forces who, after tender of his resignation and before notice of its acceptance, quits his post or proper duties without leave and with intent to remain away therefrom permanently is guilty of desertion.

© Any person found guilty of desertion or attempt to desert shall be punished, if the offense is committed in time of war, by death or such other punishment as a court-martial may direct, but if the desertion or attempt to desert occurs at any other time, by such punishment, other than death, as a court-martial may direct.

866. ART. 86. ABSENCE WITHOUT LEAVE

Any member of the armed forces who, without authority--

(1) fails to go to his appointed place of duty at the time prescribed;

(2) goes from that place; or

(3) absents himself or remains absent from his unit, organization, or place of duty at which he is required to be at the time prescribed; shall be punished as a court-martial may direct.

And to be clear, it is POSSIBLE that he is a deserter. To make that claim, you have to show evidence that he had the intent to remain away from his post PERMANENTLY. That evidence has not been made public yet, so to call him a "deserter" is blind speculation.

He went missing. He sent emails to his parents talking about his dislike of the war and the US involvement in it. The Taliban said he was drunk that night. The US military says that claim is false. Some people have mentioned a letter he supposedly wrote about him walking to India. White House officials deny that a letter existed.

So we don't know what actually happened. Let's wait until all the facts come out before making these claims.

OMG....you are clueless. He wasn't "Captured" several soldiers reported he was derelict of duty. I'm done debating with you. You don't grasp reality.

He wasn't captured by the Taliban???

laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

This is such a great example of what the OP is talking about. NOBODY disputes that he was captured by the Taliban. The only question at this point is why he left his post.

Talk about not grasping reality!

He was a POW and we need to get all of our POWs back at all costs because that is the American way and Obama shows how much he hates our servicemen and women by not getting this one back, except in this case since he's not the right kind of POW and it shows how much Obama hates our servicemen and women by getting him back. Also, what about the military member who is in a Mexican prison because he drunk drove across their border with three guns in his truck?! Why did Obama get this traitor POW while leaving that other hero in Mexico?! **** YOU OBAMA!

I'm done debating with you.

Also, a "debate" implies a mutual exchange of ideas and counter-points. This exchange has been me making factual claims about the Uniform Code of Military Justice, citing the actual language from that code, and otherwise correcting your factual errors.

That's not a "debate". That's me debunking your hyperbole and false claims.

Some people will always critize everything Obama does,if Obama cured cancer they would say he is putting doctors out of work.

And on the other side of the coin, others will defend him or at the least conveniently ignore his faults no matter what. Just bring up how he blatantly lied about his positions on NSA spying or net neutrality and the silence is deafening.

The far-right clowns here are awful because no real discussion can be had when they are around. But let's not pretend that one side holds the monopoly on hack partisanship.

And on the other side of the coin, others will defend him or at the least conveniently ignore his faults no matter what. Just bring up how he blatantly lied about his positions on NSA spying or net neutrality and the silence is deafening.

The far-right clowns here are awful because no real discussion can be had when they are around. But let's not pretend that one side holds the monopoly on hack partisanship.

To be fair, a lot of people on here who support Obama have also criticized his actions regarding the NSA, Guantanamo, and other areas. You're right, there are people who defend him no matter what. But the overwhelming tendency on the AFMB is for the far-right clowns to insanely criticize everything he does while the liberals refute those insane criticisms while themselves criticizing Obama for the actual things he has screwed up.

Edit: I should have also acknowledged the conservatives on the boards who offer legitimate and fact-based criticisms of Obama in these threads as well. My point was simply that it sometimes looks like people are defending everything Obama does because so often we are responding to the far-right clowns and their insane criticisms. Unfortunately, the clowns tend to be louder and post more frequently than the reasonable conservatives, and some of us (like me) take a perverse pleasure in poking the clowns to see how stupid they can get.

If only the people who spam threads on here would make those the topics instead of irrelevant, kneejerk ********.