Putting A Dog Down...

Hey guys and a few gals... Just looking for insight and guidance. How did you handle putting your dog down?

my 11 year old pit bull had cancer. She ended up having tumors all over. We had her put down this morning.

I'm having a tough time dealing with it. I had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was with me through 2 wives, 2 kids, multiple houses, multiple states. She was my best and oldest friend.

So Abf, how did you cope?

Had to put down our 21 year old last year. Awesome dog but his teeth were BAD. His mouth had swollen so bad that he really couldn't eat. Put him down, got him cremated and kept the ashes, some of the hair, a paw print and a good urn.

It's always tough especially with a ton of memories. If there's a heaven, you can bet your a$$ that nearly all of them go there. Hang tough. It gets easier.

It's going to take time. I've seen some pretty nasty things in my lifetime (life in general, combat vet), but I'm not afraid to admit that I cried like a baby when my mother lost her dog (partially because losing the dog hurt my mother so badly, partially because I was so close to the dog myself). It takes time! My mother STILL doesn't want another dog because of her attachment to the one she lost, and it's been several years! Sorry to hear about your loss.....................

Nothing we can say will help. Grieving takes time, their is no magic pill. I just tried reminding myself that the two animals I've had to watch pass were better off not suffering any longer. Yes, I watched, Vet let me hold their paws...a dog and a few years ago the coolest cat on Earth :'(

I hope your heart heals soon

Hey guys and a few gals... Just looking for insight and guidance. How did you handle putting your dog down?

my 11 year old pit bull had cancer. She ended up having tumors all over. We had her put down this morning.

I'm having a tough time dealing with it. I had her since she was 6 weeks old. She was with me through 2 wives, 2 kids, multiple houses, multiple states. She was my best and oldest friend.

I had to put down my 16 year old cattle dog about 3 years ago and I still haven't gotten over it.

Rescuing another dog that needs a home is a good salve though. It helped me to cope with it. Still think about that last days of Molly's life though. That is a tough horrible ride down to the vets. I know it is the "final act of love" to end their suffering, but to me it still feels kind of like I killed my dog.

Sorry for your lose, I know it sucks bad...

It's gonna hurt for a while. We had to put one of our family dogs down last year after 15 years. I was actually away when it happened and truth is I still miss him. Non-pet people don't understand the bond that you have with your animals but the only thing that will make it get any better is time.

Prepare to weep, it's a tough one. No easy road. Your pit bull more than likely has been your bud and never easy. I had to put my 13 year golden retriever down last October. Cried like a baby for two days. My thoughts are with you

We actually had 2 dogs to begin with. My wife's Maltese died suddenly about 2 months ago. We lost both within 2 months.

I wasn't able to take her to get her put down. My wife took her in. I think it was a bit easier for me that way, but it still sucked.

And I think we'll be a dog free house for a bit.

And like someone said above, I know it was probably for the best, but part of me still feels like I killed my best friend.

We actually had 2 dogs to begin with. My wife's Maltese died suddenly about 2 months ago. We lost both within 2 months.

I wasn't able to take her to get her put down. My wife took her in. I think it was a bit easier for me that way, but it still sucked.

And like someone said above, I know it was probably for the best, but part of me still feels like I killed my best friend.

A real friend does what's best for their friends...even when it sucks

I don't know that you ever get over that feeling or not. I had to put my 13 year old german shepherd down this year on my birthday. I struggled with not wanting to put her down, as I wasn't sure if it was time. My father told me that she had been too good of a dog to let suffer. I told him I will do the same for him when I think it is his time. Even though the vet told me she had degenerative myelopathy, and could feel pain from it, I still felt like I killed her.

It has been 6 months, and I still feel awful about it. Every time I go into my back yard, I think about it. She used to be like a one dog ticker tape parade when I went out there to go to my garage.

I don't know that you ever get over that feeling or not. I had to put my 13 year old german shepherd down this year on my birthday. I struggled with not wanting to put her down, as I wasn't sure if it was time. My father told me that she had been too good of a dog to let suffer. I told him I will do the same for him when I think it is his time. Even though the vet told me she had degenerative myelopathy, and could feel pain from it, I still felt like I killed her.

It has been 6 months, and I still feel awful about it. Every time I go into my back yard, I think about it. She used to be like a one dog ticker tape parade when I went out there to go to my garage.

That's really tough. I feel super weird walking into my house now. I'm so used to the brute barreling through the house when I get home.

That's really tough. I feel super weird walking into my house now. I'm so used to the brute barreling through the house when I get home.

For a couple of weeks after she was gone I swear I would hear her barking somewhere off in another room of the house.

Saving another dog from certain death due to being in an over crowded shelter helped me out a lot. Probably too soon to even contemplate it right now for you, but I know my house isn't going to feel right unless there is a dog living in it with me...

New dog (Beaumont the Psycho) is about 3 years old now (got him at 12 weeks old). He will never replace Molly D, but I am glad he is here now.

There isn't a more gut-wrenching feeling in the world than putting a dog down, particularly for the first couple of weeks when you forget that you're not going to get bombarded at the door after work. There is something painfully jarring about having something that you've become so used to being there every day being taken away from you.

Best advice anybody ever gave me was to get another dog. A lot of people say that they can't imagine having another one so soon, but that goes completely out the window once you actually have one that you have to take care of.

I don't think I'll ever be able to personally take my dog to get put down.

The only dog I've lost, was my childhood pup. He was a 12 year old Samoyed when I lost him. We had some serviceman come over to the house and he didn't shut the gate to the fence when he left. I had no idea. So when I let out my dog, vroom. He was gone. I didn't realize for a little while, because I just let him out to go play. I didn't know the gate was open. Anyway.

I lived right off a busy street and someone had hit him before I knew he was gone. They took him to the vet and he was put down. I found this out about 3 days after I put up the lost dog signs.

In a strange way, I think it was better this way. It sucked that he was here one second and gone the next, but there was no build up. There was nothing I could do. He was just gone. I have a boxer mix puppy now. I can't imagine watching him get sick for years and eventually putting him down.

Guest fibonacci

i was a vet tech for years in my younger days. So you think i would know the answers, but i don't.

I hate funerals and death. And it's due to i never know what to say.

All i know is there is a lot of phases and everyone handles it differently.

Guest fibonacci

I lost my dog over ten years ago. Just until two Years ago i finally washed a blanket she slept on. It had her smell on it

Then last week my mom needed her house cleaned badly. (my mom was semi hording things.) And i found her collar. I stopped and thought of what to do. I ended up throwing it away. I don't know why i did because i could feel the pain inside coming back. Maybe i did it subconsciously so i could finally move on. But now i look back today and it feels like a shotgun is in my stomach.

Guest fibonacci

One thing that helps me is talking about her. I catch myself telling my wife repeated stories all the time, and i know i told her.

I'll never forget i used to carry her around the back of my neck like a scarf. She was a samoyed husky. And it was due too that she broke her foot and i lived on the third story. Well i went to petsmart and was holding her like that. The guy behind me kicked me on my side and was laughing. I turned around and he was doing the same thing with his dog. Then it hit me that was not someone, it was Jeff Hardy. And then i got to know him and his dog.

Also ella pissed on my ex fiancee when she asked me to marry her. Then Ella did it on her back in bed when my ex said Ella could not be the ring barrier. I honestly left my ex because of the signs ella gave me.

I had another dog yogi and have million of stories and heart stories. But i lost him two weeks before i married. I always wanted him there and in my life forever. Really was my child hood friend. (he lived for 18+ years). And i still said it in my vows to my wife the Day of the wedding. I know the wedding is suppose to be the happiest Day of your life. But every day i do,i look back and see yogi passed away right before it.

I even catch myself leaving my moms house saying bye to another dog i lost. Or leaving the driveway to tell yogi bye. And i always stop in the middle of my tracks thinking there might be a glimpse of them somewhere.

I don't mean too say this. But it's fu cking hard bro. But talking about happy memories helps.