Nolan On Defensive Rookies, Shembo Officially Moved To Ilb

Nolan offers quick take on drafted rookies

June, 6, 2014

Jun 6

10:03

AM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. -- Seven of the Atlanta Falcons' nine drafted players were on defense, which had to please defensive coordinator Mike Nolan as he looks to add more multiplicity to the scheme.

"Obviously, with the addition of the free agents as well several draft choices, we'll see how it all fares in the end," Nolan said. "But it's always about the players. It always will be. What we do, in the multiple sense, is with that intention all the time: whatever makes up your squad, you have the ability to utilize your guys."

Here are Nolan's quick takes on those drafted players:

• Ra'Shede Hageman, DE/DT: "Big, strong, talented, and coachable."
  • Dez Southward, S: "He's got really good size and is fast. He's an intelligent guy. He doesn't have as much football in his background as other guys because he played late in high school. But he'll listen, as opposed to somebody that didn't learn much and then they think that they have all the answers."
  • Prince Shembo, ILB: "We had a position move [from outside linebacker to inside]. I think it helps us and it helps him. I think he's better suited to play the inside more than he is the outside. His skills are more for the inside than the outside."
  • Marquis Spruill, ILB: "Active playmaker. Needs to put on some weight."
  • Ricardo Allen, CB: "Very instinctive. Very intelligent. Very good football player."
  • Tyler Starr, OLB: "Unorthodox, but a good football player."
  • Yawin Smallwood, ILB: "Big, strong, active. Good instincts. We'll see how he develops. The [jury] is still out on him. We'll see."

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons/post/_/id/5924/nolans-offers-quick-take-on-drafted-rookies

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks like the smallest of jabs at Smallwood. Perhaps he feels his performance is lagging his ability? I take that as a very good thing. Mold with pressure.

Yep, Nolan could have said that about anyone. He wouldn't publicly knock the kid.

That statement is to light a fire.

Maponga and Star as well. Osi will put his hand in the dirt in passing-down sub-packages.

That does not get me excited. Starr is a late round rookie and Maponga did not show anything in his rookie year.

Guess we will see how it works out.

EDIT: In Before someone says "Worrilow and Bartu were undrafted!!!!"

Edited by PriMeTiiMe

good to hear about Allen .... Dude will be a gem slot CB .. Im driving that train till the wheels falloff

We will know more during the preseason

Good to hear our rookies is showing something ... Nolan is normally a wait and see before i give a compliment type coach

Also the ILB position is deeeeep now.... didnt look that way at first ... Spoon, Worrilow, Bartu, Dent , Shembo , Spruill , and Smallwood

So who is going to play OLB in our 3-4 line-ups? I am assuming Mass and Kroy are starting but who would be rotating in if they are tired or hurt? Osi?

returnee OLB? Mass, Bierman, Osi, Maponga, Bartu

drafted OLB? Starr

returnee ILB? Spoon, Worrilow, Dent,

drafted ILB? Spriull, Smallwood, Shembo

plus 2 udfas Daley, J Smith

just way too many LBs

They will keep abut 8

drafted OLB? Starr

just way too many LBs

They will keep abut 8

I have no problem with a youth movement but that many late rounders and 1/2 year guys sounds risky.

Still feel we need to bring in a vet pass rusher (Justin Houston comeeee onnnnn downnnn)

drafted OLB? Starr

just way too many LBs

They will keep abut 8

With as much 3/4 looks as they plan to use, wouldn't be surprised to see them keep 10.

With as much 3/4 looks as they plan to use, wouldn't be surprised to see them keep 10.

then you have to cut down from 10 DBs to only 8 DBs

or cut down from 7 D linemen to 5 Dlinemen

or cut 1 DB and 1 Dlineman

or steal for the O-side

wonder if they are willing to do any of those, look at those rosters and see if you can do it.

then you have to cut down from 10 DBs to only 8 DBs

or cut down from 7 D linemen to 5 Dlinemen

or cut 1 DB and 1 Dlineman

or steal for the O-side

wonder if they are willing to do any of those, look at those rosters and see if you can do it.

Or count Osi and Mass as DEs.

Or use fewer Dlinemen because of 3/4

I still am banking on Bartu. He had as good of a season if not better than Worrilow.

+100

I hear no one say this but i agree... His tackle numbers wasnt insane but i felt like looking at the games again.. He had a little better year.

I really like were both is going in there development .... Bigger, Stronger, Faster

This is why my boy spoon MUST stay healthy