Five Random Thoughts On Otas

http://espn.go.com/blog/atlanta-falcons

Five random thoughts on OTAs

June, 4, 2014

JUN 4

7:30

AM ET

By Vaughn McClure | ESPN.com

The Atlanta Falcons have their second open session of organized team activities on Wednesday, with practice set to begin at 10:30 a.m.

Here are five random thoughts on what to look for throughout the day:

1) Defensive coordinator Mike Nolan is scheduled to address the media following practice. He's sure to emphasize the multiplicity theme head coach Mike Smith has preached all offseason. Nolan was very animated during last week's session. I'm sure that will continue.

2) Osi Umenyiora didn't get many reps during last week's open session. Remember, he became a designated pass-rusher at the end of last season, a move he said he sought. The coaches saw it as preserving the 32-year-old's body. It seems like they want to do the same with Umenyiora's practice reps now. Young pass-rushers such as Jonathan Massaquoi, Stansly Maponga, and rookie Tyler Starr need as many reps as possible. Umenyiora's been there already.

3) Rookie running back Devonta Freeman wasn't on the field for last week's open session as he attended the NFLPA Rookie Premiere in California. With him back, it will be interesting to see him competing for reps behind Steven Jackson. Jackson said he was impressed with how humble yet hungry Freeman was at the start of OTAs. Let's see if Freeman continues to impress on the practice field.

4) Of course, Roddy White's status remains unclear following the death of his younger brother. The Falcons won't rush him back, but White is back on Twitter chatting it up with fans. If he's on the field Wednesday, there's a chance he'll address the media afterward. If White is absent again, I'm watching to see if Drew Davis takes advantage of more work at the receiver position.

5) Tight end Levine Toilolo was significantly limited last week with an undisclosed injury. The injury was supposed to be minor in nature. If Toilolo's status is unchanged, there might be a cause for concern. Then again, it would be more of a red flag to see him held out of mandatory minicamp.

One of our 2 tight ends injured. Nice.

I'm actually excited to see our offensive with tight end having a limited role. I expect to see a lot of 4 WR sets this year. TG being gone means that there's 90 to 100 catches for other players to get. Douglas, Hester, Jackson/Freeman/Quizz. That should make us more explosive if anything.

I'm actually excited to see our offensive with tight end having a limited role. I expect to see a lot of 4 WR sets this year. TG being gone means that there's 90 to 100 catches for other players to get. Douglas, Hester, Jackson/Freeman/Quizz. That should make us more explosive if anything.

Matt Ryan and the offense will benefit from being forced to spread the ball around more. That plus an improved running game should make a huge difference.

Me too. I'm wanting to see a tight end actually block for once

we are in a "dead zone" now with news to report and analysis to read.

wash, rinse, repeat.

Good point, here. It's going to be very slow until mid/late July when position battle start heating up and we scrimmage other squads (if that happens).

Only here on TATF can you find fans happy to lose a HoF TE who could consistently put up close to 1000 yards receiving every year. BTW, do any of you recall WHY the Falcons went out and picked up Gonzalez? Perhaps you may recall that prior to picking him up, opposing defenses would shut down our WR corps? Of course that was before Julio was added (when he is not injured)>

Just have to LOL,

Guest fibonacci

it's Just OTA peeps. of course they are going to limit some reps of certain starters and of course they are going to be extra cautious with a player. even if he said he cut his toe nail last week and the nail broke and caused a small amount of blood.

Glad Osi is sticking with his mentor/situational pass rusher role, the young guys definently need all the reps they can get. Anybody know if we're practicing against another team this year? Like we did with the Bengals last year, that will be our first real glimpse of how our team is going to look.

Toilolo

Pascoe

Schuler

Szczebra

Pederson

Let me rephrase that..

The two tight ends that matter. The other guys are no names at this point. I'm speaking of the two that are guaranteed (nothing is guaranteed, but you know what i mean) to make the team

Edited by xskyx

Random thought.

SIZE Size and more size that's what I'm seeing by some of these photo's coming out of OTA's Travian Robertson and Tyson Jackson look at least the same size as Paul Soliai if not bigger in Tyson Jackson's case.

Paul Worrillow looks at least 10 lbs bigger than he was last year.

Man they weren't kidding when they said they wanted players to carry more weight man I hope these guys don't get injured with the addition of carrying these extra lbs.

Let me rephrase that..

The two tight ends that matter. The other guys are no names at this point. I'm speaking of the two that are guaranteed (nothing is guaranteed, but you know what i mean) to make the team

Hey I mostly agree with you

But this time last year we all had Worrilow, Bartu, Schraeder in that list of "doesn't matter"

Schuler has been working with 1st string yea Toilolo small injury

Why hasn't Szczebra gone the way of Ewing and Meier. His been on IR a year? PS before that