Imagine this...

You under-perform or fail live up to expectations set by your management at your company and the consumers that buy your product, but yet after four years you are rewarded with another chance to redeem yourself. By the way your company paid you

2009 - $1,200,000

2010 - $1,500,000

2011 - $1,800,000

2012 - $1,950,000

2013 - $2,010,000

and for your redemption contract they paid you $890,000. How motivated would you be if you knew with the improvement of your sales you can be re-hired again by the same company or by a similar company with the possibility of equal or higher pay?

(source: overthecap.com)

You get the point right?

Does Jerry have it in him to beat out Babs, Hageman, and Peters for playing time to even show that he has it in him? He had his best year to date in 2013 with 33 total tackles, 25 solo tackles, and 3.5 sacks, all career highs.

Does he get a pass because he shredded his knee his rookie year? Or is it our our own front offices fault for drafting a often injured player to begin with. consider this..

Injury Report

2004: Sat out the final four games with an ankle sprain.

2005: Missed the first four games with an ankle injury.

2006: Bothered most of the season by foot and hand problems that eventually saw him sit out the Wake Forest (9/23), Georgia (9/30), Arkansas (10/21) and Auburn (10/28) contests.

2008: Missed the season opener vs. Memphis (8/30) after undergoing arthroscopic right knee surgery (8/18) to repair a meniscus tear.

2009: Could not complete agility tests at the NFL Combine and limited on Pro Day due to a hamstring strain.

(source: NFL.com

It is to note that in 2008 Mississippi finished 101st in the nation in rushing defense (199.08 ypg) and 88th in total defense (423.42 ypg) in 2007. With Jerry wreaking havoc in the opposing backfield, the team ranked fourth nationally in rushing defense (85.54 ypg) and 19th in total defense (307.23 ypg) in 2008. During last two seasons, he registered 32 tackles for loss and 10.5 sacks, establishing his dominance in the middle of the field.(stats source: NFL.com) So you can argue that he was worth the pic for production or not because of injury history.

This year will determine the status of that mans life and it will be an up hill battle trying to prove that he deserves another contract. Would he deserve a contract if he had the same numbers as 2013? Maybe, but he will have to have another "breakout" season if you will to convince me or the front office to bring him back in my opinion.

What say you all?

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

him making the roster looks very unlikely ... Especially with guys like Goodman getting big enough to play 3-4 DE and DT

Jackson,Soliai, Peters, Goodman, Babs, and Hageman

Then you got young guys like Travian Robertson and Donte Rumph

Matthew also

We will see

I think he's a likely roster casualty but he could make it due to the fact that he's so inexpensive and Peters is coming off of a late season injury.

I'm just thankful that with Soliai, Jackson, Hageman, Babs, Peters he's kind of an afterthought. If he is here and gives us anything it's a bonus but we no longer have to sit around and hope that one of TD's biggest busts will finally reach his potential.

This thread should be about Dimi. How T F can you work out Clay Matthews then say OK I think I'll have me some of that Jelly?

And don't start with that 4-3 scheme bush it cause Matthews is a football player in any scheme.

Vontae Davis, Hakeem Nicks or Ziggy Hood would have been better than Jelly. And yes TATFers had them on their mocker focker radar screens.

Dude still aint got six sacks. In five years? And Dimi blows a first round pick and $8M on him? angry.png

I wanted Cushing, matthews, or the jelly belly. Hes been a huge busta bust. He seems to be turning it around.

Do you think its not to late from a depth standpoint to show that he's coming around? I believe Hageman is going to schock some people in the fall and that could not bold well for Jerry. I think people are going to see Jerry blow up some 2nd and 3rd stringers in Pre Season and think he's going to be pre injury form. It will be interesting to see.

Do you think its not to late from a depth standpoint to show that he's coming around? I believe Hageman is going to schock some people in the fall and that could not bold well for Jerry. I think people are going to see Jerry blow up some 2nd and 3rd stringers in Pre Season and think he's going to be pre injury form. It will be interesting to see.

Hageman should have more snaps. Jerry is a backup @ this point.

This thread should be about Dimi. How T F can you work out Clay Matthews then say OK I think I'll have me some of that Jelly?

And don't start with that 4-3 scheme bush it cause Matthews is a football player in any scheme.

Vontae Davis, Hakeem Nicks or Ziggy Hood would have been better than Jelly. And yes TATFers had them on their mocker focker radar screens.

Dude still aint got six sacks. In five years? And Dimi blows a first round pick and $8M on him? angry.png

PPl can say what they want .. Dude didngt work out ... Maybe it was the injury.... Maybe not... I dont know.... I do know dude was a beast in college... Destroyed the Pouncey Twins when he faced Florida... The dude Dominated Senior bowl week Aaron Donald style.. Then he had a good pro day.

Even tho i dont think Matthews fit the scheme we ran back then... Yea TD have to live with the miss on Clay but im not going to kill the guy.... Man Ol Miss was my backup watching team... Peria and Greg Hard were monsters...

I would be very surprised if Jerry made the roster. He has zero chance to beat out Babs and Peters. Obviously he doesn't even compare to to Soliai and his ability to play the nose. The only DT who he may be better than is Cliff Matthews and last year was his first year to bulk up and play DT.

The dude is as good as gone in my opinion. And i will be pretty unhappy if we keep him. Goodman, Tyson Jackson, and Hageman all play or can play DT as well and are better options than Jerry.

People forget how good he played week 1 vs Miami and then in Carolina in week 2 before tearing his ACL his rookie year. Never been the same since.

I don't, but it's been 4 seasons ago. Maybe the injury changed him but he'd still have to be defined as a bust with that 2 game arc and a few flashes last season in a contract year.

Injuries happen. TD could not plan for that.

Of course he couldn't, the question is was it really the injury or just him not being that good. 2 games is a very small sample size to say the guy was destined to be the real deal.

I just think he wasn't that good or was one of those guys that got to the league and stopped working as hard.

Of course he couldn't, the question is was it really the injury or just him not being that good. 2 games is a very small sample size to say the guy was destined to be the real deal.

I just think he wasn't that good or was one of those guys that got to the league and stopped working as hard.

Certainly that's possible but as you said it's such a small sample size and no one really knows if it was the injury that derailed his career or other issues.