Dear Nolan

Most people around here think the pass rush is just naturally gonna come to us because we got bigger on the DLINE an got a bunch of OLBs who have potential to get to the QB. But I just want you to know that if you want a more of a consistent rush you've gotta stop playing our corners 5-10 yard back in zone! I'm tired of seeing our corners on 1st-3rd downs being zoned off. Can we play some press? I mean If we are bumping the WRs off their routes that messes up their timing with the QB which gives us time to sack the QB! That is all I gotta say about the matter an continue the good work.

Sincerely,Dirtybird#11

Edited by dirtybird#11

Most people around here think the pass rush is just naturally gonna come to us because we got bigger on the DLINE an got a bunch of OLBs who have potential to get to the QB. But I just want you to know that if you want a more of a consistent rush you've gotta stop playing our corners 5-10 yard back in zone! I'm tired of seeing our corners on 1st-3rd downs being zoned off. Can we play some press? I mean If we are bumping the WRs off their routes that messes up their timing with the QB which gives us time to sack the QB! That is all I gotta say about the matter an continue the good work.

Sincerely,Dirtybird#11

I've got to agree here. I can't remember the last time I saw one of our CB's try to bump and disrupt the timing routes, and it seems as though every team we play exploits this.

Edited by 4dabirds

Sincerely,Dirtybird#11

they work together....if you man press, you better have a great pass rush......teams play zone because the rush is soft

I think the defense is going to try to shake things up to try and compensate for the lack of a known productive edge rusher.

I could really see more press man coverage. Smitty also hinted at the possibility of letting Tru shadow and follow WRs all over the field.

Look for more press man and aggressive blitzes.

they work together....if you man press, you better have a great pass rush......teams play zone because the rush is soft

You'd better have a safety who makes great reads and reacts well. All it takes is a step for a 10 yard hitch to become a 70 yard touchdown, so if the WR gets behind the CB, all bets are off.

You'd better have a safety who makes great reads and reacts well. All it takes is a step for a 10 yard hitch to become a 70 yard touchdown, so if the WR gets behind the CB, all bets are off.

I think Southward will be our read an react guy.That speed is just to outstanding to not be able to make a break for the football!

People do not understand the importance of a FS especially in the 3 - 4. What we have right now scares the daylights out of me.

there is nothing that drives me more insane than watching cornerbacks play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage - Deion Sanders would have NO CHANCE to stop most pass plays with this kind of coverage if the QB is any good at all.

People do not understand the importance of a FS especially in the 3 - 4. What we have right now scares the daylights out of me.

Lowery an Southward show promise especially Lowery!

An if all else fails we get the original 3-4 star of Baltimore Ed Reed.

He says he can still play at a high level....It's worth a shot if our guys don't pan out

there is nothing that drives me more insane than watching cornerbacks play 10 yards off the line of scrimmage - Deion Sanders would have NO CHANCE to stop most pass plays with this kind of coverage if the QB is any good at all.

The problem with playing man press it that you are pretty much committed to having two of the WR's locked up in man. Your FS can help double one and you SS can help with the second, but that means you are vulnerable in the middle of the field. If there are 3 WR you will never see a defense go press man on all three. QB's are so skilled now they look for the WR that has zone coverage when the CB's are pressing. A common in play adjustment will be having the 3rd WR run a quick slant at the FS when the two CB's are pressing. The WR's will change to go routes and the QB will read the CB's hips on the side with the 3 WR. If the CB does not recover after the initial press the QB will place the ball where the FS cannot get to it and see if the WR can make a play on the ball. If the CB recovers well and the FS is sliding to double the QB will go to the 3rd WR on the quick slant and if he beats the coverage (usually a nickle) than it's a TD.

Tru gives us on good press cover guy. I think one of the other guys will step up as well. My concern is that our FS is too inexperienced and will read the route too fast and leave their 3rd WR one on one to the end zone, or our FS will take a bad route and if the WR beats our press quickly there will not be over the top help fast enough and its a big gain.

I think Southward will be our read an react guy.That speed is just to outstanding to not be able to make a break for the football!

He has the measurable's, but his football "instincts" are sorely lacking.

Though he's an upgrade physically and way better tackler.

I will remain skeptical of this overreaching 3rd round pick.

Hopefully he will finally learn to play the ball in the air. Provided he even sees the field at all.

He has Decoud 2.0 written all over him, until he proves otherwise.

A hungry PO'd Julio and Roddy will make or break the likes of this guy in practice IMO.

Dear Nolan, Are we gonna be 34 or 43? Are we gonna press or man up? I don't give a $hit what you do just get off the field especially on them 3rd. and long.

Hahaha I just now thought of this. Matt's "Get the %$^& off my field!!!" moment can also be used as him yelling at our defense to make a 3rd down stop and get off the field to give our offense the ball. laugh.png

Lowery an Southward show promise especially Lowery!

An if all else fails we get the original 3-4 star of Baltimore Ed Reed.

He says he can still play at a high level....It's worth a shot if our guys don't pan out

Ed Reed was cut by three teams in one season. No gas in that tank. Maybe there's not even a tank anymore.

The problem with playing man press it that you are pretty much committed to having two of the WR's locked up in man. Your FS can help double one and you SS can help with the second, but that means you are vulnerable in the middle of the field. If there are 3 WR you will never see a defense go press man on all three. QB's are so skilled now they look for the WR that has zone coverage when the CB's are pressing. A common in play adjustment will be having the 3rd WR run a quick slant at the FS when the two CB's are pressing. The WR's will change to go routes and the QB will read the CB's hips on the side with the 3 WR. If the CB does not recover after the initial press the QB will place the ball where the FS cannot get to it and see if the WR can make a play on the ball. If the CB recovers well and the FS is sliding to double the QB will go to the 3rd WR on the quick slant and if he beats the coverage (usually a nickle) than it's a TD.

Tru gives us on good press cover guy. I think one of the other guys will step up as well. My concern is that our FS is too inexperienced and will read the route too fast and leave their 3rd WR one on one to the end zone, or our FS will take a bad route and if the WR beats our press quickly there will not be over the top help fast enough and its a big gain.

Yeah, with all of the hype over a 3-4 base, we'll probably be 3-3-5 on 70% of the plays (or more). And even then, one of the LBs will be in coverage.

Well one reason we ran some zone is because Asante can't press. There were several times in games where Tru would be pressed and Asante would be off.

Another problem that playing man press gives you are rub routes/pick routes. Some huge plays can come off rub/pick routes.

Regardless, I am 99% certain we will run alot more press this year with Alford and Tru as our CB's.