10-6 One And Done In Playoffs. Does Smith Keep His Job?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yes. Even though it should be up for debate considering our lack of postseason success I feel fairly confident that if they get double digit wins and a postseason berth again he'll be retained even if they are bounced. He'd have to get blown out or embarrassed like we did in 2010 or 2011 for it to be up for debate but even then I think he'll stay.

How bout a 9-7 record with a wildcard playoff win and lose in divisional vs an 11-5 record with a 1st round bye and a loss in the divisional round.

A postseason win will keep him safe. Period.

First round bye and a loss is less impressive. Even if someone does make the argument of locking down one of the top 2 seeds means you made it past the first round. That won't hold water with the crowd that believes this staff can't get it done in the 2nd season nor should it.

I personally believe that how we win will factor as much as how many we win. If we win 10+ games and for the most part are pushing people around or - God forbid! - Ryan takes a major step up in his development, then I see Smitty holding on. If we win 10 games and three of those are fourth quarter comebacks and we make the playoffs in a week 17 nail biter, it'll be more luck than coaching. We have the pieces to do well, even with our oft-documented deficiencies (edge rush, potential hole at safety). We really need both units to be top 10 and one to push for top 5. If not, we're just the definition of mediocre and it won't matter if he gets fired or retained.

Guest captfalcon

He shoulda been fired after last season..no way he lasts another one. This is the last straw for shittyball..I mean smittyball

I haven't spent this much time on the board in years. I may need a break. I'm not as young as I used to be. lol

You're doing good considering you're not back in peak posting shape yet. As for me, whenever the going gets tough up in here, I tend to back away from the keyboard and have a quick shot of Jack. It probably isn't the answer, but it sure helps me forget the question.

Maybe some of you are unaware but we really were not a superbowl team in 2012 the fact we did get as far as we did is a testament to the coaching. Maybe some of you did not realize that when you look at the turnover of starters we had last year that it was already gonna be a down year then you are nuts. Off the top of my head we lost a total of 5 starters 2 at key positions on the Oline and 3 on defense. There is no way that we should have been better as a team with that. This was magnified by the success of 2012 and the injuries to a already thin roster due to the lack of draft picks and injuries. Everybody had a hand in last year so yeah if we get back on track Smitty deserves to keep his job. He has done a outstanding job while here and I think this season we get back on the right track. We have a good franchise here now and like it or not Smitty is a big part of that.

Maybe some of you are unaware but we really were not a superbowl team in 2012 the fact we did get as far as we did is a testament to the coaching. He has done a outstanding job while here and I think this season we get back on the right track. We have a good franchise here now and like it or not Smitty is a big part of that.

+1

Some people are just ignorant and have unrealistic expectations. Life isn't a video game, kids.

I seriously doubt it.

Playoffs?.....PLAYOFFS??? Are you kiddin' me? I just want us to win some games, and then we can talk about Playoffs, and who should be fired!!!

Right now, a 10-6 season looks pretty dang good to me, considering our schedule! Now whether that gets us to the Playoffs, or not, remains to be seen.

But to answer your question, I think if we go 10 & 6, and lose the first game of the Playoffs, Smitty's job is still safe (as well as TD's) ---- unless ---- it's an UGLY BLOWOUT!!! In which case, Smitty will definitely be on the "hot seat" for 2015. I just think we have too many rookies, not to give him another year....jmo.

GO, YOU DIRTY BIRDS!!!

I think if he turns around the team to 10+ wins I bet he stays. It would prove last season to be a fluke. His record is too good to bring in another guy who probably isn't proven. Plus he has a pretty sterling relationship with the players (not including Ray Edwards) and I bet they would lobby to keep him.

I can see a similar situation the chargers did with Marty... great coached got fired going 13-3

We as Atlanta fans settle vs expect greatness because of our team's history. Atlanta has had only have had one coach that is exceptional and that is Mike Budenholzer of the Hawks. Al the rest have be above average or mediocre at best. Mike Smith despite his regular season record is uninspiringly Mediocre at best with a great Quarterback to cover for his short comings as a Head coach.

I can see a similar situation the chargers did with Marty... great coached got fired going 13-3

Problem there is that his firing was because he and the owner and GM had a very poor relationship. He did a couple of things behind their backs and they got mad and fired him. Similar to Mora getting under Blank's skin by openly lobbying for the Washington job.

None of that type of thing exists in this situation.

We as Atlanta fans settle vs expect greatness because of our team's history. Atlanta has had only have had one coach that is exceptional and that is Mike Budenholzer of the Hawks. Al the rest have be above average or mediocre at best. Mike Smith despite his regular season record is uninspiringly Mediocre at best with a great Quarterback to cover for his short comings as a Head coach.

While I can't understand Budenholzer getting an "exceptional" tag after one year, I do think there's something to the rest of your statement.

While I can't understand Budenholzer getting an "exceptional" tag after one year, I do think there's something to the rest of your statement.

That is because most fans in Atlanta look at record versus teaching and getting the most out of a roster. Most Mike Smith fans are Bobby Cox fans also.

Edited by peoriabird

That is because most fans in Atlanta look at record versus teaching and getting the most out of a roster. Most Mike Smith fans are Bobby Cox fans also.

It's 1 season where they were sub .500 and were bounced in the 1st. I get they lost their best player and I do think he's a great coach but to say after one season he's the only exceptional coach after 1 year sounds like quite the overstatement. A better argument could have been made for Smitty after '08.

I like Bud but let's give it a minute.

So its Smitty out there throwing int in p/o games, dropping passes, missing assignments etc.?

We are to believe that the overall talent on the Falcons since Smitty took-over has carried him?

So its Smitty out there throwing int in p/o games, dropping passes, missing assignments etc.?

We are to believe that the overall talent on the Falcons since Smitty took-over has carried him?

Great coaches address these issues and they go away! Edited by peoriabird