10-6 One And Done In Playoffs. Does Smith Keep His Job?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think if he turns around the team to 10+ wins I bet he stays. It would prove last season to be a fluke. His record is too good to bring in another guy who probably isn't proven. Plus he has a pretty sterling relationship with the players (not including Ray Edwards) and I bet they would lobby to keep him.

Yes. We need to bounce back to a playoff team. I still think we are a pass rusher away from a good defense.

So 7 years and one playoff win will be good enough for Blank to keep him around another year? If Blank could have known before hand that Smith would lead the Falcons to one playoff win in 7 years do you think Blank would have hired him?

So 7 years and one playoff win will be good enough for Blank to keep him around another year? If Blank could have known before hand that Smith would lead the Falcons to one playoff win in 7 years do you think Blank would have hired him?

For 70 wins? Yes.

Well I can see your point if Blank is content with just a good regular season record. I think I remember something about Blank saying he wanted to bring a championship to Atlanta. Maybe he meant the soccer team?

The problem is that he is a good coach. The amount of bad coaches FAR outweigh the good ones. The Falcons fell just short of a SB appearance, so it's not like he can't get it done. He's proven he can handle it, they just have to get the personnel right. Bill Cowher is a pretty good example of this. The Rooneys kept at it with him until it got done, which was in his 14th season.

They might feel a little better knowing there was some stellar candidate out there, but I have yet to see any names listed.

The problem is that he is a good coach. The amount of bad coaches FAR outweigh the good ones. The Falcons fell just short of a SB appearance, so it's not like he can't get it done. He's proven he can handle it, they just have to get the personnel right. Bill Cowher is a pretty good example of this. The Rooneys kept at it with him until it got done, which was in his 14th season.

They might feel a little better knowing there was some stellar candidate out there, but I have yet to see any names listed.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against Smith. I just don't think his approach to the game works well against the better teams, and you're gonna face the better teams in the playoffs. I don't know that Smith has the ability or is interested in change. Now if you think what Smith has done since 2008 is good enough and no change is needed then this isn't an issue for you. I feel like there are some barriers that he needs to break down in order to move to the next level. If it becomes apparent, and IMO it almost already has, that Smith is too stubborn for change then we are gonna continue getting out of the team what he have been getting, which isn't good enough, IMO.

I don't think Blank keeps him around in 2015 with anything less than a playoff win in 2014.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not completely against Smith. I just don't think his approach to the game works well against the better teams, and you're gonna face the better teams in the playoffs. I don't know that Smith has the ability or is interested in change. Now if you think what Smith has done since 2008 is good enough and no change is needed then this isn't an issue for you. I feel like there are some barriers that he needs to break down in order to move to the next level. If it becomes apparent, and IMO it almost already has, that Smith is too stubborn for change then we are gonna continue getting out of the team what he have been getting, which isn't good enough, IMO.

I don't think Blank keeps him around in 2015 with anything less than a playoff win in 2014.

You are also thinking like a fan and not an owner of a team. Fans seem to think everything should be overnight and it is just not the case. Smith is a good coach and replacing him would be tough to fathom given who is out there right now. Firing the coach after a 10-win season would be pretty ludicrous regardless of playoffs. This crew is so close, they just need to get over the hump.

I just think it is smarter to tweak around a good coach rather than fire him and start over constantly.

Now, if they flounder to 8 or less wins this year, I can see the justification a little more.

I'm a big Smitty supporter, but in honesty it's time we moved ahead toward the Super Bowl or moved on. I'm cool with having a very good team, but it looks like we've reached our ceiling. I'm not putting it all on the coach because we would have won the NFCCG if not for three totally boneheaded plays by individual players. But at some point, there needs to be a shift in perspective from an administrative standpoint and that'll start with the head coach. I don't see TD going anywhere, though.