Pool Problem

I have an above ground pool. I now wish I would have replaced the sand in the filter before I filled the pool. I uncovered it last weekend and of course as I was taking off the cover, the leaves that were still on the cover fell in the pool. 2 days later, I had what looked like radiator fluid in my pool. I shocked the crap out of it and got it blue. I vacuumed it a few times and have backwashed it multiple times, yet it is still cloudy. I can se the bottom, but it;s not clear like it should be. I had the water tested and they said the chlorine was a little low but all else was fine. I shocked it again yesterday and this morning it is still cloudy (but slightly clearer).

I think the catch to this is that I bought some pool clarifier and I think I added like 3 times as much as I should have. I think this may be causing it to stay cloudy.

Has anyone else encountered this? Should I drain maybe 1/4 of the water out and re-fill it? While the water is low enough, I could probably change the sand in the filter so it catches all the smaller particles. I don't know when was the last time the sand was changed, but I did read online that the rule is usually once every 7 years. I have only lived in the house for 2 years.

Every 7 years is not frequent enough to change the sand. Three years is the longest it should go IMO.

On the cloudy water, you can buy baquacil flocculant (granules) and add it through the skimmer (about 1/4 of the bottle) and it will aid your filter with smaller particles. There are other flocculants on the market (as well as this one) that, when cast over the surface of the water, will "catch" those particles and drop them to the bottom so they are easily vacuumed. Also, check the below website out. There are many pool professionals there that will legitimately help you and not sell you something like most supply businesses do.

Adding flocculant to the filter via the skimmer is something i do every summer but you should check specifics for your pool as mine is in-ground and probably holds a lot more water than yours.

Www.troublefreepool.com

Also if you shocked it that much a lot of the powder/cloudiness could be alge dust. Alge dust is to small to vaccumm out regularly because it will passs straight through the filter and back into the pull. Gotta vaccuum it directly out of the pool instead of through the filter

If you're in the Atlanta area turn it over to Steve at Dependable Pool & Spa. It will always be clear. I gave him the reigns 18 years ago and haven't looked back.

waste of money. I was paying 140 a month for a pool guy to take care of my pool. Started doing it myself about a year ago. Much cheaper and the pool is cleaner than ever

Be patient my friend, because you probably have multiple issues here and there's really no magic bullet to fix them all at once. It's been my experience that tackling one issue at a time is the way to go with a pool. Before you start adding anything else to the water: wait a couple of days to allow what you've already added to dissipate or work the way it's intended. FWIW, pool clarifier causes the suspended particles to be attracted to one another and become larger, which makes them easier for filters to remove them. Too much pool clarifier will cause the particles to repel one another rather than be attracted, and will cause cloudy water.

Once the chlorine level is within guidelines, do NOT try to adjust the pH, the alkalinity, and the calcium levels at the same time/same day. Trying to do it all at once is a recipe for cloudy water from precipitated calcium carbonate; if you do this you can end up with an underwater visibility of about 4 inches. I've only used a floc treatment as a last resort when I had really screwed up my pool many years ago. I was trying to fix everything at once and was adding too much of each chemical in my rush to get the pool right. Big mistake on my part.

Patience is your ally here: it make take a week or so, but you'll get things right! Best of luck.

Guest Regular Guy

I have an above ground pool as well. The cover blew into the pool over the winter and I said "screw it!". I should NOT have done that. The pool became BLACK. Black algae is the hardest to get rid of, much worse than green or yellow "mustard" algae. I had a heck of a time clearing it up. You need to shock the absolute crap out of it, your PPM should be 5 or higher otherwise it will NOT kill the algae. A good copper based algae killer will do wonders. Once I had the pool in the blueish stage it was a matter of vacuuming to waste and time. Remember that floc and clarifier are similar but not the same. Floc will sink the debris to the bottom for you to vacuum whereas clarifier will suspend the small particles after combining them, therefore allowing your filter to do the work. A LOT of backwashing will be going on so you'll need to keep adding water to your pool.

Another VERY important thing to note is that if you don't have your PH level right (7.2-7.6) the algaecides and clarifier will not work. I found this out the hard way. I basically added about 40 lbs of baking soda (sodium bicarbonate) to the pool to get the PH where it needed to be. I also had to get the pool to shock level and keep it there. Your free chlorine levels need to be up to during this stage. It CAN be done, I did it, so can you! Good luck!

Guest Regular Guy

Also, use straight up bleach, not your normal powdered shock as it throws off your stabilizer. With your filter running slowly pour a gallon of regular old bleach into the PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL of the water from the return jet. Let the filter run overnight. Always add chemicals at night as the sun really robs the chlorine of its strength . Backwash in the morning, then rinse, then filter again. Keep checking your chlorine levels, keep it at shock level as stated above until water becomes clear. Once clear, let chlorine levels drop back down to normal 2-3ppm and then resume weekly shock as normal.

Also, use straight up bleach, not your normal powdered shock as it throws off your stabilizer. With your filter running slowly pour a gallon of regular old bleach into the PIRATED VIDEO IS ILLEGAL of the water from the return jet. Let the filter run overnight. Always add chemicals at night as the sun really robs the chlorine of its strength . Backwash in the morning, then rinse, then filter again. Keep checking your chlorine levels, keep it at shock level as stated above until water becomes clear. Once clear, let chlorine levels drop back down to normal 2-3ppm and then resume weekly shock as normal.

There's not much a few of gallons of Great Value Bleach solve in the way of algea and organisms. That has been my start up procedure for the last several years. Only draw back is that bleach plus brushing is kind of tough on liner patches but that's the only problem as far as I'm concerned.

Not sure how a pool can be a "problem" what, with all the real problems in Africa...like slavery and mutilation, starvation and every other horrid 'ation' But I suppose one can't be reasonably expected to swim in cloudy water....soooo good luck smile.png

Learning how to make clean water is a problem in Africa too...

Good news! Pool is gradually getting clearer! I poured about a quart of bleach in and also vacuumed the pool, then backwashed it for about 3 minutes, then rinsed it for 1 minute. I am going to take sample to get tested today or tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to jump in soon!

Good news! Pool is gradually getting clearer! I poured about a quart of bleach in and also vacuumed the pool, then backwashed it for about 3 minutes, then rinsed it for 1 minute. I am going to take sample to get tested today or tomorrow and hopefully I will be able to jump in soon!

During my start up period, I backwash a lot....once a day to start with.... and then I go to about 3 times a week....then once everything is looking clear I go to once a week. There's no reason not to backwash often. It's just clearing your filter of everything that it has caught. Of course you have to add water but no biggie.

• 1 month later...