Arthur Blank Sees “Maybe More Than One” Nfl Team In London

birdz4i

Falcons owner Arthur Blank agreed to give up one of his team’s home games this season to play in London instead. Soon, Blank believes some team will play all eight of its home games in London.

Blank told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that the fans in London are continually supporting American football, and they’ll support a team of their own.

“The games in London, I think are a tribute to the NFL, a tribute to the fans there, the quality of the game—and I think that it’s proved conclusive that fans will come out when they see the real players playing games that are really meaningful, as opposed to NFL Europe,” Blank said. “So I think—and all three of the games for 2014 sold out immediately, 240,000 tickets—the league, as you know, has been in discussion about a fourth game, in discussion about games beyond that. There’s been discussion about potentially having a franchise in London. I’m very optimistic.”

In fact, Blank even thinks there might be two NFL teams in London.

“I think it will start with an increased number of games. That will be translated into a very successful series of games, and eventually, I think a franchise. And maybe more than one. London’s a big city,” Blank said.

Blank also suggested that London might not be the only overseas city to have an NFL team.

“The approach that the international committee and the commissioner have taken is, ‘Let’s do London right, and then move from there to potentially somewhere else.’ I’m sure there are wonderful cities in Europe, and elsewhere,” Blank said.

Perhaps one day the NFL will have a full four-team European division. Most American fans wouldn’t like it, but the NFL’s owners love the idea of tapping into the European market.

http://profootballta...team-in-london/

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

pew-pew-pew.jpg

Seriously though, the NFL needs to stop trying to get Europe involved.

Even if they had a whole division, Think about the amount of travel involved they would go through for a season....No thank you.

Not much, if any Euro players in the league. Gotta find some way to push the NFL onto Europe.

So start back up NFL Europe. Theirs a reason it lost so much money. Europe does not care enough about Football.

The origonal NFLE (the WLAF as it was called at the time) had teams stateside and in Europe. The European teams had bigger and better support, so your argument that it failed because "Europe doesn't care enough" isn't right. Football fans (here and Stateside) don't want to pay to watch 3rd rate NFL Europe football. That's why it it didn't succeed.

As for teams in London - don't worry becasue it's media spin and it will never happen. The logisitics are a nightmare, they don't have a suitable stadium (Wembley 8 times a year is not an option), exisiting fans wouldn't ditch their teams to support a London team, and there isn't enough money to be made to make it financially beneficial to the NFL (the US teams would end up subsidising the London team).

Guest fibonacci

So start back up NFL Europe. Theirs a reason it lost so much money. Europe does not care enough about Football.

nfl Europe didn't have players and the refs sucked. Nfl rules are not something you learn over Night like cricket or even soccer or even rugby. Replacement refs were 10 times better then Europe refs.

So you saying the fans hatred of the game, is wrong. I know a crap ton of falcon fans from London. Nfl is going to be successful over there. they sold out all of those games in minutes. so to get a full team there to play 8 games is not going to be hard. Any owner would be licking his chops to sell all of his games and to have all of that country and countries around him to want to but their gear. Think about it, we have Georgia. while this team in London has London and zero competition to sell their items in other countries. Countries vs one state.

So get over your butthurtitis and get ready for it. And get ready for soccer here as well

Falcons owner Arthur Blank agreed to give up one of his team’s home games this season to play in London instead. Soon, Blank believes some team will play all eight of its home games in London.

Blank told Peter King of TheMMQB.com that the fans in London are continually supporting American football, and they’ll support a team of their own.

“The games in London, I think are a tribute to the NFL, a tribute to the fans there, the quality of the game—and I think that it’s proved conclusive that fans will come out when they see the real players playing games that are really meaningful, as opposed to NFL Europe,” Blank said. “So I think—and all three of the games for 2014 sold out immediately, 240,000 tickets—the league, as you know, has been in discussion about a fourth game, in discussion about games beyond that. There’s been discussion about potentially having a franchise in London. I’m very optimistic.”

In fact, Blank even thinks there might be two NFL teams in London.

“I think it will start with an increased number of games. That will be translated into a very successful series of games, and eventually, I think a franchise. And maybe more than one. London’s a big city,” Blank said.

Blank also suggested that London might not be the only overseas city to have an NFL team.

“The approach that the international committee and the commissioner have taken is, ‘Let’s do London right, and then move from there to potentially somewhere else.’ I’m sure there are wonderful cities in Europe, and elsewhere,” Blank said.

Perhaps one day the NFL will have a full four-team European division. Most American fans wouldn’t like it, but the NFL’s owners love the idea of tapping into the European market.

http://profootballta...team-in-london/

Just dont like it. Nfl need to quite it. It would take to much time and energy to explain why but, Tax situation for guys who work overseas and many other things. Plus we dont need it and it takes a home game away from the fans.

nfl Europe didn't have players and the refs sucked. Nfl rules are not something you learn over Night like cricket or even soccer or even rugby. Replacement refs were 10 times better then Europe refs.

So you saying the fans hatred of the game, is wrong. I know a crap ton of falcon fans from London. Nfl is going to be successful over there. they sold out all of those games in minutes. so to get a full team there to play 8 games is not going to be hard. Any owner would be licking his chops to sell all of his games and to have all of that country and countries around him to want to but their gear. Think about it, we have Georgia. while this team in London has London and zero competition to sell their items in other countries. Countries vs one state.

So get over your butthurtitis and get ready for it. And get ready for soccer here as well

1. Call me when it happens. Until then all it is speculation.

2. I don't play in the NFL nor do I benefit at all from whatever they choose to do. if they add a European team or over time a whole division...Go ahead. NFL is going down the drains more and more each year anyway so it would not surprise me.

3. I like Soccer and its already in the US so not sure what the **** your last comment was about.

They'll find a way to make it work. Stadium-wise if the transport is sorted out, Tottenham's new stadium is viable, with a lower capacity so "selling out" wouldn't be an issue.

Keeping the "we're giving up a game for the good of the future" mantra going and in media circulation. Let's hope we get new fans of THIS team.

5 months to go and i'm amped already.

What I think would be interesting for the NFL to become is not "impossible" but for now is "impractical".

Addressing the problems with expansion and showing a solution is extremely difficult when trying to convince a fan base and the owners of the current regime that are stuck in one way of thinking. The current regime and current system that the NFL has employed works perfectly for the NFL and its teams, but in the long haul will be outdated or will wear thin and become boring in this "instant gratification"society.

Addressing the scheduling issue with adding new teams could be the key to success. The players association president has already stated that he would never add 18 games the schedule as long as he lives. The only way that we would add 2 more games to the schedule would be if we added more teams creating a schedule conflict. Then there's the question of how many teams do you add to the league? Four? Six? my answer is Eight! I think the NFL would be most comfortable with 40 teams in the league. However you slice or dice it the NFL would love to expand and add more teams to the divisions or two conferences , however you would want to do it.

Here is the way I wrote it down and feel it would best be incorporated into the game.

Add 8 teams =40 teams = 18 games per team (adding two games)= 20 weeks (1 extra bye week+2 extra games)= 20 week season + playoffs(counting Super Bowl) = 24 week season (6 months) if you get a playoff spot and go to the Super Bowl.

NOW: 32 teams = 16 games + 1 bye week= 17 weeks = 17 week season +4 weeks of playoffs = 21 week season( 5 months) if you get a playoff spot and go to Super Bowl .

Adding one month to the season will not hurt anyone ( aside from players getting injuries as they usually do). It must however allow the NFL to retool teams with expanded rosters. The roster would be upgraded from 53 to 63 plus the 8 man practice squad (if I have that correct). The actual roster would have 50 players playing for the team dressed up on Sundays and the practice squad would have 13 players.

*expanding the rosters allows for more hidden talent drawn from in NCAA and European football leagues.

One could also argue that this would water-down any league especially the NFL with so few talented quarterbacks in the league.

In this scenario the NFL buys out four teams from the CFL , or allows the CFL to take in revenue from the Teams for payment.

I have chosen Vancouver,Calgary,Montreal and Toronto as representatives and newly founded teams in the NFL from the CFL.

The NFL will also add England as a new representative of the NFL in Europe. This if played out correctly would make Europe a prime spot for more expansion teams. And weaker teams in the NFL a.k.a. Jacksonville could possibly become part of the new European movement. I could see teams like Jacksonville or Buffalo or even Tampa Bay being relocated to Europe to add Germany,Spain,France or Italy to the fold.

Trying to keep this as relatively close to reality as possible is very difficult. I have selected these teams to be added to the NFL from the U.S .

Teams added are: ( * is the explanation )

Los Angeles - Devils / Gold / Dream

* Duh! LA is prime time for the stars and money. LA wants a team that will bring star power and over the top drama. Nothing says drama like a NFL in your back yard.

Oklahoma City – Oilers ( bring back ) /Storm

* The most loyal Basketball fan base receives a NFL franchise. I could see Denver, KC and San Antonio as perfect rivals. Mid west battles that would shake the core of the AFC. But is the market ready?

Toronto - Huskies / Argonauts

*The bills lose out on moving and the NFL buys Toronto for the wow factor. League champions of type CFL come to play with the big boys of the game. Whether they keep the same look or change the name it could be the first of many teams from Canadian teams to come. This would be the first team from Canada.

Montreal - Alouettes

Calgary - Wolverines/ BC Lions

England London -Hounds/Monarchs/Dreadnoughts/

Knights

The crown jewel of the expansion project ( no pun intended ).

Vancouver – Stampeders/wolves

San Antonio - Rattlers/Aztecs

We would no longer would have divisions but instead like the NBA two Conferences of 20 separated by geography. This would make the most since with the new teams added. This would allow the European teams or in this case just England at the moment not have to travel so far to play their teams in the U.S or Canada and American and Canadian teams not having to travel too far to play England.

Obviously everyone cares about money money is power money is king. While were talking about money yes they would be some expensive costs to be able to move everything around. Taxes would be a nightmare and stadiums would also be troublesome.

Here is how your new NFL would look:

The East

Miami

Tampa Bay

Jacksonville

New Orleans

Atlanta

Tennessee

Carolina

Cincinnati

New England

Philadelphia

Washington

Buffalo

Pittsburgh

Baltimore

New York Giants

New York Jets

Green Bay

England

Montreal

Toronto

The West

Cleveland

Indianapolis

St. Louis

Kansas City

Detroit

Los Angeles

Chicago

Minnesota

Dallas

San Antonio

Houston

Denver

Arizona

San Diego

San Francisco

Seattle

Oakland

Vancouver

Oklahoma City

Calgary

Your first season with these new teams would probably have the following match ups on the first Sunday / Monday.

England vs New

Toronto vs Buffalo

Vancouver vs Seattle

Montreal vs New York Giants

Loss Angeles vs San Francisco

San Antonio vs Dallas

Oklahoma City vs Kansas City

Calgary vs Denver

The NFL is at it's peak now. It isn't going to get better than it is right now. Moves like this, the 18 game season, expanding the playoffs, adding more teams, especially European teams that will only create logistical nightmares, such as put the teams themselves and their division rivals that play these teams at disadvantages that's only going to dilute the product more than has been, and begin it's downfall.

It's as good as it's ever going to be. Especially with the era of concussion lawsuits, and the new accusations of pain killer usage by teams to cover up injuries.

The NFL need to focus on bringing back the fan experience instead, and improve the game itself instead of trying to take over the world and saturating the market.

The NFL is at it's peak now. It isn't going to get better than it is right now. Moves like this, the 18 game season, expanding the playoffs, adding more teams, especially European teams that will only create logistical nightmares, such as put the teams themselves and their division rivals that play these teams at disadvantages that's only going to dilute the product more than has been, and begin it's downfall.

It's as good as it's ever going to be. Especially with the era of concussion lawsuits, and the new accusations of pain killer usage by teams to cover up injuries.

The NFL need to focus on bringing back the fan experience instead, and improve the game itself instead of trying to take over the world and saturating the market.

You're correct to some degree. I don't think the NFL is dumb they know what they're doing, but on the other hand the NFL has already attempted to make NFL Europe.

Let's just think here for a second about what NFL Europe was. In all honesty it was supposed to be a league that was going to be built and added into the NFL. Unfortunately it was not given any care or direction. The brand itself (NFL Europe) never given any actual direction. Instead of putting a hard spot and work into it they decided to just allow it to grow itself. That intern was the beginning of the downfall of NFL Europe.

Another big point about NFL Europe was that like the article about the said the games in NFL Europe meant nothing! No NFL team played in NFL Europe team ever! It was like a garden that was untended by 12-year-old. The 12-year-old a.k.a. the NFL thought that the garden a.k.a. NFL Europe would just grow on its own and produce fruit without taking care of it.

You're correct to some degree. I don't think the NFL is dumb they know what they're doing, but on the other hand the NFL has already attempted to make NFL Europe.

Let's just think here for a second about what NFL Europe was. In all honesty it was supposed to be a league that was going to be built and added into the NFL. Unfortunately it was not given any care or direction. The brand itself (NFL Europe) never given any actual direction. Instead of putting a hard spot and work into it they decided to just allow it to grow itself. That intern was the beginning of the downfall of NFL Europe.

Another big point about NFL Europe was that like the article about the said the games in NFL Europe meant nothing! No NFL team played in NFL Europe team ever! It was like a garden that was untended by 12-year-old. The 12-year-old a.k.a. the NFL thought that the garden a.k.a. NFL Europe would just grow on its own and produce fruit without taking care of it.

I just don't see how the NFL can maintain the parity, by adding international travel to every week of the NFL schedule.

I get moving a team like Jacskonville, Oakland, or Buffalo to a better market, but adding more teams to a perfectly balanced 2 conference league just makes everything unbalanced, and it's going to screw with the playoff berthing. Throw 16+ weeks of teams having to deal with international time changes and it's going to be a mess. The West coast teams have it bad enough.

The origonal NFLE (the WLAF as it was called at the time) had teams stateside and in Europe. The European teams had bigger and better support, so your argument that it failed because "Europe doesn't care enough" isn't right. Football fans (here and Stateside) don't want to pay to watch 3rd rate NFL Europe football. That's why it it didn't succeed.

As for teams in London - don't worry becasue it's media spin and it will never happen. The logisitics are a nightmare, they don't have a suitable stadium (Wembley 8 times a year is not an option), exisiting fans wouldn't ditch their teams to support a London team, and there isn't enough money to be made to make it financially beneficial to the NFL (the US teams would end up subsidising the London team).

I could see the FA pushing for it given the reported £200m+ in debts they owe. They'd do anything to have more events hosted there.

Not that I think it will happen but I think the financial state Wembley is in a genuine reason for such rumors and any push for a London team.

Edited by Pudge™

I just don't see how the NFL can maintain the parity, by adding international travel to every week of the NFL schedule.

I get moving a team like Jacskonville, Oakland, or Buffalo to a better market, but adding more teams to a perfectly balanced 2 conference league just makes everything unbalanced, and it's going to screw with the playoff berthing. Throw 16+ weeks of teams having to deal with international time changes and it's going to be a mess. The West coast teams have it bad enough.

Exactly.

The only way for them to balance the conferences, divisions, and playoff seeding out is to add 8(40 franchises total) more expansion teams along with adding both another AFC and NFC division which will have to shake up the other 4 existing divisions in each conference just to make the traveling a bit easier. Playoff wise, they will have to add another divisional playoff seed to each conference and only let the 1st seed get a 1st round bye.

Another way is to add 1 team to each division and add another wildcard seed to the playoff format.

Either way, it is way too much to do and could end up hurting the league before it ever gets a chance to really help it in a positive way.

I think it would be pretty easy for Blank to move the Falcons to London. The Falcons don't really have the pedigree or heritage of some other teams. There's no way a team like the Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Packers, etc... would or could make the transition. Those teams have Superbowl wins and have a long history in the U.S. The Falcons do not have that history - afterall we are an expansion team.

With the Falcons in London, the Falcons can finally start anew, especially since we've entered another rebuilding era. Heck, Falconry is a tradition in GB and it would be easy for the Falcons to gain traction there.

The NFL is trying to fix something that is not broken. They are trying to put more teams in the playoffs, which waters down the playoffs in my opinion. Put the product on tv as much as possible which will cause some fans to lose interest, including myself. I like to watch my NFL on sundays and monday, with the occasional exception. I think this is what some people don't like about the NBA, theres too many games. And now they want to put a team across the ocean. No thanks, the NFL is not international, I like the fact that its all domestic, if you want other teams in Europe create another league, or how about minor league development leagues here in cities that don't have NFL teams.

I think it would be pretty easy for Blank to move the Falcons to London. The Falcons don't really have the pedigree or heritage of some other teams. There's no way a team like the Cowboys, Steelers, Giants, Packers, etc... would or could make the transition. Those teams have Superbowl wins and have a long history in the U.S. The Falcons do not have that history - afterall we are an expansion team.

With the Falcons in London, the Falcons can finally start anew, especially since we've entered another rebuilding era. Heck, Falconry is a tradition in GB and it would be easy for the Falcons to gain traction there.

The Falcons are opening a brand new stadium in 2017 in Atlanta.

0% chance they move to London.