Breaking Down The Play Of Joe Hawley

vel

I was going to due this in a thread, but I figured a thread solely for this would be better and wouldn't fall on as many deaf ears. The doubt of Hawley has been followed by not one fact as to why he isn't already a solid player. PFF rated him +0.1. They also rated him a -5.1 in the week 17 match up against the Panthers, meaning he had a +5.2 in the 16 weeks before that game. This is often overlooked because it doesn't line up with the "what I saw" argument. Hawley wasn't flawless, but the guy was solid to good. He would have been the 6th best FA center behind Goodwin, who had a 5.8 grade and played twice the snaps Hawley did.

So here are examples of Hawley doing his job and doing it well:

This is a play where Hawley has his man sealed and a very big hole is right in Jackson's face.

15f3rjs.png

This is the result of the play

33vonqw.png

Jackson felt the better move was through the tiny hole between Hawley and Blalock, where Dareus already has a hole in the gap. DamnyouHawley!

• Replies 334
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Here is a play on 3rd and 9. Obvious pass. We have 2RBs in to block, giving us a 7 man protection scheme against 6 potential rushers. Hawley is uncovered, giving him the option to help the first man who needs it since the OGs, OTs and RBs will all be in 1v1 situations. Here is the screenshot:

2054boj.png

Here is right after the snap:

i2pyjb.png

Hawley is 1v1 against Kyle Williams and holding his own. Quizz is out on a route, pulling Searcy with him.

He is the end of the play:

241utyd.png

Hawley has his man so locked up, you can't even see Hawley (red circle). You can only see Hawley's legs anchored and holding Williams 5 yards from Matt Ryan. People want a pocket to step up into, it's there. The issue is Holmes got beat bad on a stunt and Jerry Hughes gets an easy free rush to Ryan (yellow circle) and ends the drive.

Here's one of my favorite sequences in this game. Hawley is lined up directly across from Dareus, a young stud DL.

fdg3rm.png

This is right after the snap. Hawley throws a punch to try and neutralize Dareus' first step.

14ujrqa.png

He tries to follow with his right hand to fully neutralize Dareus, but Dareus sees it coming and bats it away. Remember, he was a top 5 pick for a reason. Looks like Hawley is beat.

2607k0x.png

Nope. He recovers with quick feet and quick hands and stays in front of Dareus. Here is the very next shot:

s0v67m.png

Here is Hawley, back in control of the fight and steering Dareus...

dr2uy0.png

Right to the ground:

15ch8vm.png

The ball is out (yellow), Hawley's man is on the ground and we're marching. I'd love to see this sequence from Konz, because I didn't see one. Not against a guy like Dareus, a 6'3 331 pound man.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Good stuff. Thank you. Its a very small sampling, but it does show that he has the capability, at least sometimes.

Perhaps more.

Good stuff. Thank you. Its a very small sampling, but it does show that he has the capability, at least sometimes.

Perhaps more.

Oh I've got plenty more. It's coming. I didn't want to do the whole thing from one game. I'm doing a few.

There are several TATFers that recognized Hawley's efforts last year, Namely me, you, Jbo, Gazoo and of course the President of the Hawley club, Cappy the Capologist. It's the other non-believers you'll have to convince like G-Dawg, Gibbons and the rest of the crew. Good luck with that. I just never want to see him in another Calais Campbell throw down. Ever.

Here is a run right up the gut off Hawley's butt. Here is the pre-snap alignment:

2ch6udw.png

Here is a shot showing the normal blocking scheme for this zone run. Hawley seals the front side DT and works to the LB. Trueblood's job is the same, but, as we see within the red circle, Tony G has no clue how to block. The guy isn't even facing his man anymore. Therefore, Trueblood has to seal the backside and then try and work to the LB.

24qtkcx.png

This extra step makes Trueblood late on his assignment and hasn't even engaged the LB. Meanwhile, Hawley has sealed his DT and is clearing Hawk clean out of the hole. Hawk has no chance at recovering.

28re0yr.png

This final shot shows the lane Jackson has. It's straight to daylight as we see there isn't a player within ten yards of the LOS after the first 7. The problem is Trueblood never got to the LB and he makes the play. Ask Hawk what chance he had on this play.

1zlwvh5.png

Now, let's consider we now have a much better RT in Matthews and a TE who at least can face his man when trying to block him in Pascoe, Toilolo and Pedersen. That was a pathetic showing and shows how just one man can impact the other 5 in this case.

There are several TATFers that recognized Hawley's efforts last year, Namely me, you, Jbo, Gazoo and of course the President of the Hawley club, Cappy the Capologist. It's the other non-believers you'll have to convince like G-Dawg, Gibbons and the rest of the crew. Good luck with that. I just never want to see him in another Calais Campbell throw down. Ever.

Yea, the ones who don't succumb to group think. That's few around here these days.

I don't care what Hawley has happen to him after the play, as long as his man is blocked out of it. Tell Campbell throw Hawley like that during the play next time. Campbell had no chance at making that play.

Here is a pitch to Jackson that went for 22 yards. Again, pre-snap alignment:

2n1vxhk.png

The above picture shows what Hawley has to do on this play. Not an easy task with the LB already lined up head up and you have to beat him to a spot. Ask any previous OL you know if they enjoyed having to beat a smaller faster guy to a spot like this. Hawley does just that:

fdx535.png

Not only is Hawley the first one off the ball, he's the furthest man down the field, further than the WRs. And he has his man engaged.

n15k5z.png

And here is Hawley, still the furthest man down the field and directing Jackson to open space. My only complaint on this play was Hawley not fully sealing the LB, giving Jackson the sideline, thus more yardage. But I'll gladly take a 22 yard gain.

Here is a passing play against a typical 3-4 alignment. Hawley is looking to double the NT here unless the Packers blitz.

2qwzps4.png

Welp, the Packers bring a double A gap blitz, a classic 3-4 blitz. Hawley is sitting waiting for it like they told him the play. Don't act like this is just some simple assignment neither. How many times have we seen the Steelers run this and rack up sacks? Countless. All 3-4 teams run this blitz to get quick pressure in the fact of the QB. Let's see what happens...

2z4k184.png

2w4hdz9.png

Where's Hawley? What happened to that blitz I just saw a shot ago? Isn't there supposed to be pressure in Ryan's face? Well, Hawley is the red circle and Hawk is the yellow circle, out there with the OT and DE.

This play only results in 7 yards because Ryan dumps it off to DiMarco, even though Roddy was coming open at the same time. He had a massive pocket and didn't use it.

Ha ha ha . All the fuss for a career backup center . You can show all the dam vids you want . Not gonna change anything .

Again, not a single fact. That's all I've asked for since you signed up. But you know kids these days...

The issue is Holmes got beat bad on a stunt and Jerry Hughes gets an easy free rush to Ryan (yellow circle) and ends the drive.

This was a particularly bad games for Holmes.

It looked like the Bills identified Holmes as the weak link and attacked him... And it worked.

Again, not a single fact. That's all I've asked for since you signed up. But you know kids these days...

Don't expect an answer Vel. They don't have one. Just " HA HA HAs ". Nothing of substance and of course nothing as close to difinitive as this.

What's funny is these folks don't even realize that by answering with these nonsense juvenile responses they only strengthen the argument for Hawley.