Browns Cut Gregg Little, Julio Jones Trade Not Working Out

Atlien 404

• Replies 170
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For the record... when they made the trade for Ingram it left the Saints with 4 picks in that draft, 2 of which were 7th rounders.

They then made subsequent trades in the next few days to build up their numbers in the 2011 draft.

Unless of course the Saints website is wrong on the matter.... http://www.neworleanssaints.com/news-and-events/article-1/New-Orleans-Saints-draft-history-2011-draft/93549e95-1572-48bc-b300-ff04d78c2b49

Just re-checking the facts to insure they are as they appear to be

Ok. I get what you're saying now. At first, it seemed you were stating the trade limited them to 4 picks in the draft.

I looked at the website, but got the rounds wrong. They entered the 2011 draft with a 1, 2, 3, 3, 7, and 7.

I don't see the obvious downside to only having 4 more picks if you can pick twice in the 1st. Teams certainly can't do it frequently as the cost was a 2nd round pick.

Ok. I get what you're saying now. At first, it seemed you were stating the trade limited them to 4 picks in the draft.

I looked at the website, but got the rounds wrong. They entered the 2011 draft with a 1, 2, 3, 3, 7, and 7.

I don't see the obvious downside to only having 4 more picks if you can pick twice in the 1st. Teams certainly can't do it frequently as the cost was a 2nd round pick.

And I dont disagree... my point was there was a plan in place to make that move... it wasnt done willy-nilly.

2 first rounders in the same draft are a great strategy... if both work out as value where you picked them.

I think every draft day trade is made with a plan in place, but what happens after can seriously derail those plans.

I just have never had a Saints fan give me a good explanation for why that trade was made...

personally, I think they were looking to get rid of Ivory and P.Thomas in one shot and have a rookie contract to sit on for 5 years.

Even with that positive explanation, the trade has proven a fail cause they have had to hold onto Thomas for insurance.

I think draft day trades are always dangerous and a crapshoot.... GMs on the whole should be given a mulligan on them.

The only team that has effectively figured out how to manage them in my opinion is the Patriots, but many of their draft day trades have made no sense.

They have passed on some really good players to apparently be smarter than the rest of the league.

I just have never had a Saints fan give me a good explanation for why that trade was made...

personally, I think they were looking to get rid of Ivory and P.Thomas in one shot and have a rookie contract to sit on for 5 years.

Even with that positive explanation, the trade has proven a fail cause they have had to hold onto Thomas for insurance.

2010 is the explanation. They could not keep a healthy RB on the roster. They finished the year with five on IR (Betts, Hamilton, Hill, Ivory, and Thomas).

By the playoffs, they were down to a gimpy Reggie Bush and street free agents: Julius Jones (who led the team in rushing that day) and DeShawn Wynn.

I'm guessing this was still fresh on their minds that offseason.

Julio Jones is a beast but as a fan of a team with an elite GM you definitely overpaid.

Injuries and legal issues aside I'll take Dez Bryant over Julio Jones and Dez was drafted at what 17? What about Aj Green? Josh Gordon?

Julio isn't in a class of his own but he's the only one on the list that cost 5 draft picks.

Any fan justifying a 5 for 1 swap is certainly not very confident in their front office. Especially with all of games Julio has missed so far.

Edited by DatMan

Julio Jones is a beast but as a fan of a team with an elite GM you definitely overpaid.

Injuries and legal issues aside I'll take Dez Bryant over Julio Jones and Dez was drafted at what 17? What about Aj Green? Josh Gordon?

Julio isn't in a class of his own but he's the only one on the list that cost 5 draft picks.

Any fan justifying a 5 for 1 swap is certainly not very confident in their front office. Especially with all of games Julio has missed so far.

AJ Green was taken before Julio, smart guy.

A 5 for 1 swap was fine in THAT particular draft, where our position was weak, and so was the talent.

I wouldn't pay 5 draft picks for Dez. Sure, he's good, but he's a got dayumn nutcase also. Josh Gordon's about to be suspended for an entire year.

Julio is a consummate professional, who can't remember the last time he ate a french fry, and if he didn't have this nagging injury, would no doubt be considered the best WR in the game right now.

If he stays on the field next season, you're gonna look even dumber than you already are.

AJ Green was taken before Julio, smart guy.

A 5 for 1 swap was fine in THAT particular draft, where our position was weak, and so was the talent.

I wouldn't pay 5 draft picks for Dez. Sure, he's good, but he's a got dayumn nutcase also. Josh Gordon's about to be suspended for an entire year.

Julio is a consummate professional, who can't remember the last time he ate a french fry, and if he didn't have this nagging injury, would no doubt be considered the best WR in the game right now.

If he stays on the field next season, you're gonna look even dumber than you already are.

I love how Megatron turns invisible in these conversations.

I'd take Bryant over Jones...

Someone needs to light a fire under our players *****.

thats reasonable bryant is a talented receiver. You can drop the falcon fan act feel free to voice your opinion without pretending to be something youre not

JJ has a Long way to go to reach CJs level.

Saying JJ is better is like saying WFW is sane.

A lot of praise for a player yet to break into the top 10 in receptions or yardage. Josh Gordon actually did all the things people imagine Julio doing, all without a decent QB or secondary threat and in a division that plays defense.

Don't sing it, bring it.

JJ was on pace to be #1 last year before the screw came loose.

He's a great talented receiver, but we have more receiving threats on our team than dallas, detroit, and cleveland do, but those other three are clear and far away their teams #1 receiver.

It'd be a lateral move, but I always thought Dez was pretty underrated because of his antics. Last year's antics showed me a fire that some of our players need.