So The Hearing For The New Braves Stadium In Cobb County Was A Fiasco.

People should not be allowed to spend money unless they spend the money on the things that I want.

Who said that people should not be allowed to spend money?

Do you think that a county should be able to spend 1/2 of their annual budget on something without any taxpayer input?

So you don't think the taxpayers should have any input in deciding if hundreds of millions of dollars are handed over to a baseball team?

No. I think that publicly funded stadiums are wasteful and dumb. I just don't have much patience for bitching about one wasteful government expenditure because it takes away from other wasteful government expenditures.

No. I think that publicly funded stadiums are wasteful and dumb. I just don't have much patience for bitching about one wasteful government expenditure because it takes away from other wasteful government expenditures.

...like education, or teacher's pay. Such wasteful expenditures!

That's not exactly within the government's purview, but thanks for the red herring. You seem capable of little else.

The same political tactic. "Its for the children" "Its for the teachers" etc.. etc...

Not a red herring. You guys and your logical fallacy hang ups are entertaining. I think I want in on the action. From now on, I will accuse everyone I argue with of the masked man fallacy(because it sounds cool).

Funny, that your original argument is actually a red herring. Whether or not voters should have a say in the funding of a baseball stadium is irrelevant in regard to teachers salaries. The issue of the discussion is not as much to where the money is spent as it is whether or not objections to the spending should be heard.

The same political tactic. "Its for the children" "Its for the teachers" etc.. etc...

Not a red herring. You guys and your logical fallacy hang ups are entertaining. I think I want in on the action. From now on, I will accuse everyone I argue with of the masked man fallacy(because it sounds cool).

Funny, that your original argument is actually a red herring. Whether or not voters should have a say in the funding of a baseball stadium is irrelevant in regard to teachers salaries. The issue of the discussion is not as much to where the money is spent as it is whether or not objections to the spending should be heard.

Logic matters. Sorry if you find that frustrating.

Suggesting that giving money to private enterprise thereby makes it impossible to give that same money to underfunded responsibilities of government isn't fallacious.

And the argument that the process was borderline fraudulent is a different argument than whether this is how the money should be spent. You are correct in noting that fact.

I personally miss the days where you couldn't go more than 3 posts without seeing the phrase "straw man" or "ad hominem." Buzzwords and catchphrases get thrown around here like it was a non-stop election season.

I personally miss the days where you couldn't go more than 3 posts without seeing the phrase "straw man" or "ad hominem." Buzzwords and catchphrases get thrown around here like it was a non-stop election season.

'Everything was so much better when I could just say whatever and pretend it made sense'.

These aren't buzzwords. They are actual ideas that govern argument.

Logic matters. Sorry if you find that frustrating.

Suggesting that giving money to private enterprise thereby makes it impossible to give that same money to underfunded responsibilities of government isn't fallacious.

And the argument that the process was borderline fraudulent is a different argument than whether this is how the money should be spent. You are correct in noting that fact.

Are Cobb County schools underfunded. Last I checked, cobb county school teachers were among the highest paid people in the state.

They're buzzwords and catchphrases insofar a rhetoric, philosophy, or some other logic course was never taken by the individual and they get frustrated when people point out the holes in their arguments.

They're buzzwords and catchphrases insofar a rhetoric, philosophy, or some other logic course was never taken by the individual and they get frustrated when people point out the holes in their arguments.

Yeah, when someone's argument fundamentally boils down to "3+2 = bacon," you gotta call them out on their bull ****.

I'm not objecting to or finding humor in people who call out other people's bull**** debate tactics. I'm just pointing out the fact that people use the same buzz phrases over and over again, and that is exactly what they are, because "straw man" and "red herring" are adopted idioms that do not solely exist to describe the thing that's happening.

In other words, I'm having a Zensation salad and felt like being ******* snarky for a minute. Geez. God.

Edited by Headshøt