Maponga A Possible Starter?

Second-year edge player Stansly Maponga is working as a first-team outside linebacker at Falcons OTAs.

The Falcons are playing base 3-4, with Jonathan Massaquoi and 2013 fifth-rounder Maponga at OLB, Paul Worrilow and Joplo Bartu inside, and LE Tyson Jackson and RE Jonathan Babineaux flanking NT Paul Soliai on the line. Osi Umenyiora is a sub-package end. The Falcons lack a truly threatening pass rusher, which is why we don't expect much improvement from their defense.

Source: ESPN.com May 28 - 10:40 PM

Dunno if it's been posted, saw it on rotoworld

Guest King Jigsaw

Weatherspoon will play inside when he comes back, kicking Bartu outside. Maponga is only out there because Osi, Kroy, and Spoon weren't practicing at those positions.

Don't read too much into it.

Guest King Jigsaw

I've been reading Kroy did indeed practice today so I don't get where people are saying he didn't, I know he was limited which is different. But at this point who knows who is playing what

He was working on passrushing moves over on the side with one of the coaches, not really the same as lining up for live drills. They're going to ease him back in.

Second-year edge player Stansly Maponga is working as a first-team outside linebacker at Falcons OTAs.

The Falcons are playing base 3-4, with Jonathan Massaquoi and 2013 fifth-rounder Maponga at OLB, Paul Worrilow and Joplo Bartu inside, and LE Tyson Jackson and RE Jonathan Babineaux flanking NT Paul Soliai on the line. Osi Umenyiora is a sub-package end. The Falcons lack a truly threatening pass rusher, which is why we don't expect much improvement from their defense.

Source: ESPN.com May 28 - 10:40 PM

Dunno if it's been posted, saw it on rotoworld

I think bartu slides outside as well weatherspoon comes back. I thought is was a bit more telling that dent didn't get to run with first though. He may be in dog fight for a roster spot with Smallwood shembo and starr

I think bartu slides outside as well weatherspoon comes back. I thought is was a bit more telling that dent didn't get to run with first though. He may be in dog fight for a roster spot with Smallwood shembo and starr

I agree that when spoon comes back Bartu will kick outside. It's just curious like u state why didn't dent get the Nod, hence sending Bartu outside, I think it's still interesting that Maponga was running with the first with or without biermann their

srry for the triple post Edited by Falkonator

sorry triple post Edited by Falkonator

Dent cannot play WLB as well as Bartu. WLB needs to be a speedier guy. Bartu is known for his explosive speed. Dent is best suited for MLB, which means behind Worrilow. I think we keep him, because he is cheap, unless they move Shembo inside, which he seemed to play today.

Guest fibonacci

Yes beirmann and others were held down. This is just ota, these things happen. Relax and breath and don't get happy if it makes you. Right now is just getting loosen up, imo.

I saw nothing from him last year. Granted, he was a rookie but I saw nothing that led me to believe he would be an impact player. Or even a solid starter.

I don't see him winning the OLB job

i didn't see anything from him last year as well . I liked his potential coming out of college but he has just as much pull as this years rookies imo.

Maponga is going to have a tough time even making this roster, imo. I don't say that for lack of like for the guy, but rather, just b/c he hardly showed anything last year, and this year, competition on that front 7, is going to tight to say the least. Not including this year's UDFAs, we have 21 players (including the UDFAs takes the number to 26) vying for what is likely only going to be right around 15 spots.

They include:

Kroy Bierman

Malliciah Goodman

Ra'Shede Hageman

Tyson Jackson

Stansly Maponga

Jonathan Massaquoi

Cliff Matthews

Osi Umenyora

Jonathan Babineaux

Peria Jerry

Corey Peters

Travian Robertson

Paul Soliai

Yawin Smallwood

Joplo Bartu

Akeem Dent

Prince Shembo

Sean Weatherspoon

Paul Worrilow

Marquis Spruill

Tyler Starr.

That is a lot of competition, and some players that some here like, will likely end up getting cut.

^ the only thing that you have to keep in mind is that Starr, Smallwood, Shembo, Spruill all have practice squad eligibility while Maponga does not. So we could put him on the active roster and stash a few of the rookies on the practice squad that way we could keep all of them. Not that i want to keep Maponga, but we have to be absolutely certain that he has nothing to offer to release him for a 7th round LB.

Weatherspoon will play inside when he comes back, kicking Bartu outside. Maponga is only out there because Osi, Kroy, and Spoon weren't practicing at those positions.

Don't read too much into it.

never had read to much into ESPN, the whole sun shines on a dogs *** and a broke clock is right twice are fitting when reading ESPN.