Let's Not Compare This Team To The 2012 Falcons.

I keep hearing fans on this board and irl comparing this team to the 2012 team and saying that this team is better or just as good on paper. Well, I'm making this thread to say that this squad will not be like that team. IMO, if you took anything away from the 2013 season, it should have been that this year is THIS YEAR. Last year was LAST YEAR. You can't dwell in the past because the past is the past. We thought that we were coming in to 2013 11 yards from the Super Bowl and the rest is history.

Newsflash. We are STILL not 11 yards away from the SB. I'm not saying you can't be optimistic about this coming year, but just know that that team has almost nothing to do with this one. They might be the second greatest team to ever put on the Falcons uniform. We can all remember them fondly, but it's what they are now. A memory.

Just something I wanted to get off my chest.

I agree.But the homer/optimist in me says that this is POTENTIALLY the most talented team,as far as the lines go,team in the last ten years.Alot of that potential rides on the back of rookies and younger players stepping their game up but the potential is there.Homer post over

Not a bad point, it is true that it's a different team. But what I think people mean is that they expect a big rebound, because the pieces around our stars are much better than even were in 2012. Only place it isn't is TE, but with an improved O-line and running game, that's not a huge issue.

May be that projection might be too optimistic, with the inevitable growing pains this young group will have, but maybe not so much. Nolan didn't seem to have that much of a problem getting our young rookies ready to play at their highest level last year.

Just think about how many leaks there were on Nolan's 2012 unit. Yet they played "bend don't break" and managed to be top 3 in the two most important defensive categories: points scored and turnovers.

With this unit, there is just going to be so much competition, that it's going to make guys fight their hardest for their jobs. No more is anyone given a starting gig on defense (Trufant is literally the only exception). If Nolan has his guys to do what he wants to do, he has a tremendous track record to back up our optimism.

Now just think what Matt Ryan can do when you give him longer than a second and a half to get the ball out; What this team has done even without a running game, and even more so if the running game gets clicking. We had 4 years of success with Dmitroff's "bad-GMing" before the wheels fell off in large part due to injuries, so why should we be less optimistic when he appears to have done even better at accumulating talent this offseason.

One last thing I'll add is looking at how close that awful Falcons team came to winning a lot more games, 8 of them decided by 7 points or less (which would equate to 12 wins if flipped), just one play or stop by the defense in most cases. They're not as far away from a rebound as doubters seem to think.

One last thing I'll add is looking at how close that awful Falcons team came to winning a lot more games, 8 of them decided by 7 points or less (which would equate to 12 wins if flipped), just one play or stop by the defense in most cases. They're not as far away from a rebound as doubters seem to think.

Good point.

Good point.

Thank you. Also look at the SF game where Douglas bobble caused a pick 6. That's another one that just as easily could ave been a win, and that was a really injured depthless falcons team that was handling a team that makes the NFCC every year now.

With guys healthy and upgraded, there is no reason to think they can't make a run if just a few guys step up big in key areas.

Not a bad point, it is true that it's a different team. But what I think people mean is that they expect a big rebound, because the pieces around our stars are much better than even were in 2012. Only place it isn't is TE, but with an improved O-line and running game, that's not a huge issue.

May be that projection might be too optimistic, with the inevitable growing pains this young group will have, but maybe not so much. Nolan didn't seem to have that much of a problem getting our young rookies ready to play at their highest level last year.

Just think about how many leaks there were on Nolan's 2012 unit. Yet they played "bend don't break" and managed to be top 3 in the two most important defensive categories: points scored and turnovers.

With this unit, there is just going to be so much competition, that it's going to make guys fight their hardest for their jobs. No more is anyone given a starting gig on defense (Trufant is literally the only exception). If Nolan has his guys to do what he wants to do, he has a tremendous track record to back up our optimism.

Now just think what Matt Ryan can do when you give him longer than a second and a half to get the ball out; What this team has done even without a running game, and even more so if the running game gets clicking. We had 4 years of success with Dmitroff's "bad-GMing" before the wheels fell off in large part due to injuries, so why should we be less optimistic when he appears to have done even better at accumulating talent this offseason.

Think Soliai is pretty secure as well.

personally, I think this team will be far better than the 2012 team in many ways, but so is the rest of the top teams in the NFC. Seattle is better, St Louis is better, San Fran is better, Arizona is better, Chicago is better, New Orleans is better, Detroit is better, Green Bay is better.....we just have to go out there and take care of business. Last year we seemed to think that if we just rolled our helmets on the field, we would win games.....I think the humbling year we had will do us more good than the upgrade in players that we have gotten!!

The fan in us sees how we are filling holes through free agency and the draft, but we miss the fact that other teams are improving, too.

I think we will have a better season than last year. I hope we make the playoffs, but I don't know if we have the roster to compete with the elite teams in a playoff setting.

This team is pretty similar to the 2012 team.

The biggest changes are on the O-Line, No Gonzo and the defense.

I like the potential of our O-Line this year. Losing Gonzo is obviously a loss. Our defense was top 5 in points allowed that year so it will remain to be seen how we stack up to that in 2014. No John Abraham or a legit proven pass rusher still hurts.