Matt Ryan... The Prototypical Pr Model For A Franchise Qb

Standard turd population ITT!

Ryan is vanilla. He's boring. I don't think he's the prototype.

I also don't think it matters given that he's a very good football player.

There's also a fierce competitor underneath that facade- we only get glimpses of it- "You can't stop it", "Get the F### off our field", but it's there.

There's also a fierce competitor underneath that facade- we only get glimpses of it- "You can't stop it", "Get the F### off our field", but it's there.

vs poor teams

Interesting that the comparison here turned to Rodgers v. Ryan in short because 1) I've read that these guys are good friends off the field and 2) I wish Ryan would incorporate some of the edge that Rodgers possesses into his persona.

Neither man is perfect, but I remember watching his interview with 60 Minutes. In alot of ways, I thought Rodgers came off looking like 'just a guy'. Works hard, stays somewhat low key off the field. Bachelor, but not an obnoxious one. And yet, we had that moment where it clearly rankled him that a fan greeted him and said ' you're smaller in person'. He came right out and stated, he didn't appreciate it. It was not a great moment for Rodgers, but it was a real one.

Rodgers is a player, a person, clearly motivated by a chip on his shoulder - to this day. He wasn't highly recruited. SF passed him for Alex Smith. He sat in the green room for hours. He sat behind the legend Brett Favre.

But the thing is whether it's edge, or whether it's just injecting and putting yourself out there...while Matt Ryan comes off as PR savvy, he also come across as somewhat rehearsed and choreographed. And I think that it's OK to come across that way as a young player. But he's the $100M QB now. And he gets to write the rules a bit in terms of how he wants to present himself 'PR wise'.

Personally, I'd like to come out of the carefully orchestrated shell of PR correctness he adopted (rightly so BTW) early in his career. So when he's asked questions about whether he is a Top 5 QB or a question meant to challenge perhaps a mythical/non-tangible status bestowed by others - bite, don't defer. We've seen other QB's who most would almost snicker at the thought of them considering themselves such answer the question directly (Eli Manning, Joe Flacco) come to mind. Aaron Rodgers might not even complete the interview he'd be so offended that you had to ask.

IMO, it's time for Ryan to drop the Boy Scout routine.

Great Post

Interesting that the comparison here turned to Rodgers v. Ryan in short because 1) I've read that these guys are good friends off the field and 2) I wish Ryan would incorporate some of the edge that Rodgers possesses into his persona.

Neither man is perfect, but I remember watching his interview with 60 Minutes. In alot of ways, I thought Rodgers came off looking like 'just a guy'. Works hard, stays somewhat low key off the field. Bachelor, but not an obnoxious one. And yet, we had that moment where it clearly rankled him that a fan greeted him and said ' you're smaller in person'. He came right out and stated, he didn't appreciate it. It was not a great moment for Rodgers, but it was a real one.

Rodgers is a player, a person, clearly motivated by a chip on his shoulder - to this day. He wasn't highly recruited. SF passed him for Alex Smith. He sat in the green room for hours. He sat behind the legend Brett Favre.

But the thing is whether it's edge, or whether it's just injecting and putting yourself out there...while Matt Ryan comes off as PR savvy, he also come across as somewhat rehearsed and choreographed. And I think that it's OK to come across that way as a young player. But he's the $100M QB now. And he gets to write the rules a bit in terms of how he wants to present himself 'PR wise'.

Personally, I'd like to come out of the carefully orchestrated shell of PR correctness he adopted (rightly so BTW) early in his career. So when he's asked questions about whether he is a Top 5 QB or a question meant to challenge perhaps a mythical/non-tangible status bestowed by others - bite, don't defer. We've seen other QB's who most would almost snicker at the thought of them considering themselves such answer the question directly (Eli Manning, Joe Flacco) come to mind. Aaron Rodgers might not even complete the interview he'd be so offended that you had to ask.

I didn't intend to turn this into Rodgers vs Ryan, yet again, rather merely to point out that traditional good PR for an NFL player is only relevant in that it isn't bad PR. There's no actual impact to the brand.

I agree with this 100%. It's like Ryan is a little intimidated by great teams. He doesn't have any swagger in his game at all.

I didn't intend to turn this into Rodgers vs Ryan, yet again, rather merely to point out that traditional good PR for an NFL player is only relevant in that it isn't bad PR. There's no actual impact to the brand.

You are right in a sense that it doesn't impact the brand really. The NFL is so powerful that if you deliver good results, people will come to watch. However, the Vick thing was pretty heartbreaking to fans. He was the face of the franchise and basically the city of ATL. People had to have felt betrayed, disappointed, and angry when that happened. Getting Ryan (the model corporate citizen that he is) probably healed the franchise quicker than others because he's such a stand up guy.

You are right in a sense that it doesn't impact the brand really. The NFL is so powerful that if you deliver good results, people will come to watch. However, the Vick thing was pretty heartbreaking to fans. He was the face of the franchise and basically the city of ATL. People had to have felt betrayed, disappointed, and angry when that happened. Getting Ryan (the model corporate citizen that he is) probably healed the franchise quicker than others because he's such a stand up guy.

The winning is what helped heal the franchise.

Only do Falcons fans constantly complain about a guy who had 5 winning seasons in a row, 4 of which went to the playoffs. A guy who will likely easily shatter every Falcon passing record their is and has made the Falcons as consistent a team as anyone in the franchise's history.

Is he the best QB in the NFL? No. But Jesus some people need to be happy we have him. It could be a lot worse. We could be like the Jets or Vikings cycling thru QBs year after year and being at the bottom of the NFL year in and year out.

Yes we had 1 bad year. ONE. I will take that and be happy if we have 5 great seasons before that. **** Matt Ryan was the last one to blame for last year anyway.

How quickly people forget the Vick days of 7-9/8-8 nearly every year. Or the years before that where we would lucky to even get to 8-8.

Switching gears...

Watching some of the new draftee QB's and the soon to be drafted QB's reminds me of the overlooked Matt Ryan skill.... PR

Some of the highlights:

Always appreciative to front office

Didn't do any public whining during extension talks

No showy and excessive public spending

Low key house

No arrests

No trashing teammates

Cameo charity appearances, golf, events, other

No local stories of acting out away from cameras

Regardless of on field performance... He is a PR success who does not embarrass his fans...

He grew up fast, and being in the South helps a lot too. You rarely hear of Atlanta Athletes doing anything bad.

Ryan is the best Falcon QB ever,is he perfect?of course not.Too many nit pickers try to analyze Ryan.There is no perfect QB,look what happened to Peyton in the Super Bowl,one player cannot carry a team.Smitty and TD know they must improve in the trenches Ryan is the least of their worries.

Ryan is the best Falcon QB ever,is he perfect?of course not.Too many nit pickers try to analyze Ryan.There is no perfect QB,look what happened to Peyton in the Super Bowl,one player cannot carry a team.Smitty and TD know they must improve in the trenches Ryan is the least of their worries.

This^^^^^^^^

You win in the trenches,You win the game..........