Columbus Day Is Officially A Thing Of The Past...

In Minneapolis.

http://kstp.com/news/stories/s3413212.shtml

By: Brad Sattin

Columbus Day is no more in the city of Minneapolis.

The city council unanimously passed a resolution Friday that now recognizes the second Monday in October as Indigenous Peoples Day.

The move symbolically switches the focus from Christopher Columbus to the recognition of the high price Native Americans paid when Europeans arrived to the New World.

Supporters hope the symbolism will lead to real change for indigenous peoples in the forms of greater home ownership and closing the education achievement gap.

Bill Means, a Native American, calls the resolution one of the few chances in history to right a wrong. But opponents of renaming the holiday call it "political correctness" saying there are other ways to recognize the suffering of Native Americans.

The change will be noted on the city's website but will not impact any business dealings regarding its designation as a holiday or contracts with labor unions.

I'm fine with doing away with Cloumbus Day. I mean, shite, he wasn't even the first European smh

But this is delusional..."Supporters hope the symbolism will lead to real change for indigenous peoples in the forms of greater home ownership and closing the education achievement gap."

I'm fine with doing away with Cloumbus Day. I mean, shite, he wasn't even the first European smh

But this is delusional..."Supporters hope the symbolism will lead to real change for indigenous peoples in the forms of greater home ownership and closing the education achievement gap."

Yeah I'm sure it'll make a difference in the lives of indigenous people.

I always thought it was a stretch for it to be a holiday anyway.

I, for one, will never buy a house unless I have a supporters day

We Americans are great at doing shyte that's high in symbolic value but doesn't actually involve investing any skin.

"Indigent people's are languishing in poverty and drug addiction on third world quality reservations! What can we do about it?"

"I know, let's give them the most irrelevant of holidays. That, and making the Redskins change their name will totally fix things. And if it doesn't, at least we will feel better about ourselves."

Note: I have no love for Columbus Day nor the Redskins name, but I'm illustrating what counts as activism these days.

We Americans are great at doing shyte that's high in symbolic value but doesn't actually involve investing any skin.

"Indigent people's are languishing in poverty and drug addiction on third world quality reservations! What can we do about it?"

"I know, let's give them the most irrelevant of holidays. That, and making the Redskins change their name will totally fix things. And if it doesn't, at least we will feel better about ourselves."

Note: I have no love for Columbus Day nor the Redskins name, but I'm illustrating what counts as activism these days.

if this idea gets more than 5,000 facebook likes, it will cure diabetes for native americans everywhere

10373839_725012007562189_1098470799693379831_n.jpg

Ran across my FB feed today. Seemed like an appropriate place for it. I wonder if this is an ACTUAL quote?

Where does this notion that native americans were "uncivilized" come from? How are we defining uncivilized? Non-White?

Sounds like one weird azz flick.

Storyline

The scene is a pre-French Revolution Bastille, where various political prisoners are being held: a woman who was raped and impregnated by the king, a police chief who was accused of selling bad pork, and the Marquis, who was unjustly accused of working for the overthrow of the king. The Marquis is only interested in writing his deviant stories, while his ***** yearns for a little action (they argue about this frequently), the prime candidate being the jailer who likes to be buggered. The corrupt priest arranges to have the pregnant woman raped by the Marquis so they can claim the king had nothing to do with it. The priest also steals the Marquis' manuscripts and publishes them for his own profit. Things come to a head as the people rise up against the tyranny.

Just my opinion. This is going to have the opposite effect for Native Americans. Nobody ever really did anything for Columbus Day anyway. Now people are going to turn this new holiday into a Halloween type of holiday where they dress up like Cowboys and Indians, get drunk, and pretend to shoot the Indians while the Indians scalp the cowboys.

At first glance, it's a new Cinco de Mayo. An excuse to get drunk while stereotyping another culture. Come to think of it, they should change it nationally. Cinco de Mayo and Halloween are more fun than any other celebrated holidays, san New Years. Christmas and the 4th of July are good too, but I always had more fun on the other two (since I was 14 years old).

Sounds like one weird azz flick.

Storyline

The scene is a pre-French Revolution Bastille, where various political prisoners are being held: a woman who was raped and impregnated by the king, a police chief who was accused of selling bad pork, and the Marquis, who was unjustly accused of working for the overthrow of the king. The Marquis is only interested in writing his deviant stories, while his ***** yearns for a little action (they argue about this frequently), the prime candidate being the jailer who likes to be buggered. The corrupt priest arranges to have the pregnant woman raped by the Marquis so they can claim the king had nothing to do with it. The priest also steals the Marquis' manuscripts and publishes them for his own profit. Things come to a head as the people rise up against the tyranny.

Do a google image search for "marquis movie."

Don't do it at work. Or while Mrs. goallined can see your computer screen.