Five Things To Watch At Otas

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

But doesn't that mean Julio would be streaking downfield one on one with a Safety? Fake to Hester on the reverse and let it fly downfield for a jumpball. If a defense keys in on the reverse, the CB on the opposite side of the field from where Hester lined up has to let go of his coverage to play the reverse. The only other option is bringing the Safety up for it, which still means Julio would be one on one.

So how many times do you think this will work past once?

So how many times do you think this will work past once?

Well, that depends. One variable would be whether or not we are mixing it up, sometimes running a reverse while other times running a fake reverse. That keeps the defense guessing as to which we are running, and the odds are they would guess wrong half of the time. The other variable would be which one the defense would rather risk. If you are a DC, would you rather key on the reverse knowing you are taking a risk of Julio running one on one with a Safety if it's a fake or would you rather keep coverage on Julio and hope your other defenders make an open field tackle on Hester?

In any scenario, it could be effective IF we have a running game. If we can't run the ball, the DE's do not have to respect it and can drive Hester further upfield to avoid their tackle, which gives the secondary time to come up and make the stop. Running the ball is the key to successfully running a reverse.

Realistically, I'm sure Roddy could, Davis could, Johnson could, and even the inept HD could.

Roddy? Not now, not anymore, he's a possesion receiver for the last few years of his career.

Davis? 4.55...doubtful

Johnson? 4.6...more doubtful

HD? C'mon man, not anymore, maybe a couple years ago

Hester and Julio are the only players who can realistically catch a 10 yard pass and take it to the house.

If we get a consistent interior push, we won't need a lotta sacks from Mass, 7-8 would be awesome

Jackson can do a lot with some actual running lanes. Expect we'll run right more successfully thus year :)

Holmes should definitely improve, so should Konz. OL is a position where development is crucial and improvement virtually inevitable. Take Matthews, no matter how well he plays as a rook, he'll be even better his 3rd, 4th, 5th year. Holmes wasn't coached well in college, certainly not used to staying fit. I expect all that to change this year or he's got a future @ Foot Locker

What we need is continuity on our OL

I'm going to say Konz is the odd man out. I bet Hawley will be our starting Center. We need that vocal presence on the line and Hawley was the only one last year to take on that role.

2. Lamar Holmes' improvement: Yes, Lamar Holmes. This is why: If Sam Baker's knee doesn't hold up following surgery, then the Falcons would have to move rookie first-round pick Jake Matthews over to left tackle and rely on Holmes on the right side. Holmes has been far from reliable so far, but the Falcons still have faith in him moving forward, provided he is in shape. Getting beat up last season was a good learning experience. Now Holmes has to stay in it, mentally, in case he's called upon.

Is there any hope held out for Mike Johnson? He was also a 3rd round pick, has more experience and he beat out Holmes last year before getting hurt. I don't know that he can stay healthy regardless, so it may be a moot point.

I believe he is saying that if Hester is not really able to be much of a receiving threat that when he comes into the game defenses will key in on the reverse.

Then you put him in as a decoy and fake the reverse to get Julio or Roddy in a one-on-one situation with a safety deep. Teams see this, adjust, then you run the reverse.

yeah and we got tore up

with 2 rookies at corner for much of the time. Secondary will be much more solid this year with Alford and Trufant having a year under their belt.

And, pretty sure the problem was opposing teams didn't need to max protect much last year and could put 5 out in pass patterns.

Jonathon Massaquoi is not the answer. I'm not sure why everyone has this pipe dream of him becoming a reliable pass rusher. He hasn't really shown anything substantial to be given so much praise. I'm not buying it. Wish the guy well, but I just dont see everybody's infatuation with him at this point.

Could be misdirected but I see him thriving in the 3-4. He was productive last year and pass rushers often take a big leap forward in year 3 see Tuck, Kerney.

I get that. But that's why I put 7-9 as his range. I'd be willing to bet my salary he plays more than 50% barring injury.

Idk.. We have Kroy, Bartu, Osi, Shembo, possibly Starr, Spruill ANNNNDDDD Mass.

Hard to see Kroy playing under 70% and Osi at least 60%

Then you've got everyone else all fighting for playing time.

Unless Mass truly shines in the beginning of the season, he may still only play around 50% maybe less