Thoughts On The Peterson/sherman Pissing Contest?

Tom Servo

http://www.nfl.com/n...shutdown-corner

Read the article.

I think Peterson brings up some especially valid points and I have to agree with the man.

What do you think?

Peterson's correct about Sherman not being a shutdown corner, although it doesn't take away from his accomplishments. It's rare today to find corners like Mike Haynes, Lester Hayes or Darrell Green. It doesn't mean great corners like sherman, that may be a product of a cover 2 system are lesser players. Look at Ronde Barber, the guy was a great cornerback, but you'd never call him a shutdown corner. The guy just made big plays, just like Sherman.

Look at Ronde Barber, the guy was a great cornerback, but you'd never call him a shutdown corner. The guy just made big plays, just like Sherman.

excellent analogy on 2 players that couldnt be any more different physically, but produce similar results.

Peterson is the better freak athlete, but there's a lot more to being the best corner than that. Neither of them are shut down corners, in truth. We haven't seen a shut down corner since Darell Revis in 2010, where he basically limited the top receiver's stats week in and week out.

Sherman had a tendency to get beat by double moves on occasion, particularly the Minnesota game. That's common in alot of aggressive corners. However, Peterson gets beat at times as well, he gave up 100 yards to multiple receivers.

I'll give Sherman the edge in this one, more big plays put him over the top, they're both pretty good. I bet Peterson isn't as good in Seattle's system. Shutdown corners get a bit over hyped, as far as being able to play in any system or being the ultimate way to go. In Tampa 2 systems, shutdown corners who don't play screens and tackle as well may struggle. Zone systems can be better for running and screen teams, and spread offenses that easily find a way to get around shut down corners. The idea of 'system' players seems a bit overused as well.

More or less, I'd argue that most players are 'system' players to some extent. They have their strengths and weaknesses, and that's what they pay coaches for. Even a seemingly small thing like what side they play on can make a huge difference, like with Nnamdi.

I realized I forgot Joe Haden. I would say he's more of a shut down corner than either of them.

He's easy to forget due to the jersey. But that secondary in Cleveland might be real nasty now. It'll be interesting to see what that team looks like in 2014.

Edited by Tom Servo