2013 Week 4 Falcons Vs Patriots Game Notes

- Baker is back, Asante is out, Pats lose Wilfork and Tommie Harris in this game

- Gonzo great 25 yard catch in double coverage over the top of Mayo

- WR screen to Julio, Konz misses block, Julio no gain

- Redzone offense stalls out Bryant FG 3-0 Atlanta

- Babs offsides penalty

- Franks gets a nice PBU on out route

- Quizz 18 yd gain negated by Baker holding penalty 1st and 20

- Tony 1st down reception negated by Baker penalty again for facemask 2nd and 25

- Stevan Ridley takes a screen 24 yds Dent can't get off block

- Patriots running it down our throats 10 times on this drive. Bartu/DeCoud goal line stop

- TE Matthew Mulligan for Pats TD on crossing route. Moore nearly PBU great throw 3-7 Patriots

- Gonzalez back 2 back receptions and gets a facemask called on defender

- Baker leaves with knee injury Oh no seasons over with now

- Hightower blows Reynolds up into the backfield Snelling redirects and no gain

- 4th and 2 at Patriots 5yd line. We go for it. Ryan HORRIBLE pass to Roddy open on out route for 1st down or touchdown. He throws it high and inside. Lucky that pass wasn't a pick 6. Good call bad execution

- Goodman pressures from the DT spot. Brady escapes and hits Thompkins for 40 yds. Willy Mo in coverage. Not bad coverage on the play at all.

- Willy Mo flies up the very next play and smokes Legarret Blount. Loved seeing this passion from him

- Dent blitz pressures Brady and forces incompletion on 3rd and 8

- Patriots 48yd FG 3min left in half 3-10 Patriots

- Final Drive of half: Tony 2 catches, Quiz gets a catch, Trueblood gets beat for TFL on Snelling, Snelling picks up 3rd and 1, Gonzo 20yd TD 10-10 :38 left Patriots kneel to end half.

- Mankins called for holding then Edelman called for illegal formation 2nd and 18

- Dent great read on RB screen and blows it up in the backfield. Very nice play by Dent

- Julio drops shallow crossing route on 3rd and 7. Pass was a little behind him, but catchable for sure.

- Babs penetrates and Bartu collects TFL when RB redirects

- Brady all day long to throw on play action and finds Edelman for 34 yards

- Brady all day long to throw and Trufant breaks up pass in the air then has to break it up again to prevent TD. Good play by Tru in coverage. Especially considering Brady had zero pressure

- Pats 22yd FG 10-13 Pats

- Great protection on this play and Ryan finds Julio for 16 yd crossing route

- Patriots back up NT Vellano(UDFA) beats Konz easily on the inside and sacks Ryan. Konz again C'mon man.

- Dent gets a holding penalty on 3rd down. Good pressure from Mass from LDE

- Babs pressures Brady and forces incompletion

- Mass TFL on Bolden coming from LDE

- 3rd and 19 we rush 3 Brady all day and finds Thompkins for 26. Willy mo flagged for hit to head (lame call)

- Blount 47 yard TD run up the left side. Dent his the right gap by runs into an OG who is blocking another player. Not even looking at Blount. Terrible play. Decoud blocked as well near the LOS 10-20 Pats

- Ryan play action to Roddy PI on Talib. Tony stays inline to block and Ryan had really good protection. 38 yd penalty

- Pats DE Michael Buchanon sacks Ryan. Basically a coverage sack. He held the ball for a while

- Bryant 45 yd FG 13-20 Pats

- Edelman beats McClain with an in and out route and McClain slips a little Edelman gets 44 yds out of the play.

- Thompkins beats Trufant TD up the left sideline. Great throw by Brady. 13-27 Patriots

- Ryan play action go route to Julio picked off by Talib. Another bad throw. Ryan throws the ball too far inside where Julio doesn't even have a chance to make a play. Just a pitiful pass for Ryan at this stage in his career.

- Bartu blitz and TFL on Blount

- Babs pressures and knocks Brady down as he releases, but Josh Boyce catches ball before it hits the ground.

- Babs knocks Brady down again and forces incomplete pass

- Pats 49 yd FG 13-30 6:18 left in the game

- Julio drops hitch route pass for 1st down. Double coveraged

- Konz beat, but Ryan gets ball out to Julio for 17 yards for 1st down.

- HD 40 yd gain on post route

- Roddy called for pass interference 1st and 20

- Gonzo huge 22 yd catch for 1st down

- Ryan to Gonzo TD. 20-30 Pats 4:22 left (Gonzo statline is 12/139/2TD's)

- Nicholas recovers onside kick

- HD 2 receptions on this drive, Julio great catch up the left sideline for 1st, Tony great catch again for 9 yds, Toilolo drops TD pass on 3rd down, Bryant FG 23-30 Patriots 2:55 left and 3 timeouts.

- Failed onside kick

- Milly Mo stops Blount short of 1st down on 3rd and 1 nice goal line stand defense

- 4th and 1 Brady fumbles snap Falcons take over near midfield

- Final Drive: Julio catch for about 35 yds deep up the left sideline. Fantastic catch, Ryan overthrows HD on out route, Ryan throws pass too far out infront of Tony incomplete, Quizz screen for 3yds. Last play Roddy is 1v1 on Talib and Talib is able to get the PBU to end the game.

Conclusions:

- Tony Gonzalez. Wow. He was completely unstoppable. With a banged up Roddy and no running game and Julio bracketed all game long Tony cashed in. One of the best games i've ever seen by a TE

- Ryans 4th and 1 overthrow to Roddy was a bad bad play. His pass to Julio on the deep ball that was picked was another poor pass. He has to be able to get that ball outside. Even on the final drive he had two bad throws. This was one of his not so good games. I'm not a Ryan hater, but elite QB's don't make those mistakes.

- Another week with someone dropping a late game TD pass. Week 1 it was Sjax vs Saints. Week 4 its Toilolo vs Pats.

- Mike Smiths call to go for it on 4th and 1 was no doubt the right call. Roddy was wide open on the out route, Ryan just didn't execute

- Talib is so overrated. He holds on every play. The PBU in the endzone on Roddy was arguably holding to me because he had his hand holding on to Roddys hip the entire play, but refs don't call that at that point in the game.

Guest Negatorris

You're freakin' insane if you think every throw by Manning, Brady, or Rodgers at this point in their careers are perfectly crisp throws. They have made really bad passes too. How long have you been watching football?

Every starting QB in the NFL made bad passes in 2014, I guarantee you that. This isn't Madden where you can adjust accuracy sliders to 99, jeez.

You're freakin' insane if you think every throw by Manning, Brady, or Rodgers at this point in their careers are perfectly crisp throws. They have made really bad passes too. How long have you been watching football?

Every starting QB in the NFL made bad passes in 2014, I guarantee you that. This isn't Madden where you can adjust accuracy sliders to 99, jeez.

Who said every throw had to perfectly crisp or pinpoint? Relax kid i've watched PLENTY of football. Probably more than you and most on here. Especially when it comes to Falcon games. Fact is, if you want to be considered in the talk with Peyton, Brady, Rodgers you can't mess up on important passes like some of the ones in this game.

The pass to Julio that was picked off up the right sideline. When you have a 6'4 220lb WR like Julio you can't throw that ball so far inside to where he can not make a play on it. Those passes have to be thrown high and outside to where either Julio can make a play on it or it goes out of bounds and not picked. How long have you been watching football? lol

The pass to Roddy on 4th and short near the goal line where Roddy runs an out route and was wide open and Ryan throws it high and inside. Again thats a clutch throw that you have to make on 4th and 1.

The pass to Tony late in the game where he is 1v1. Ryan throws it wide and high with Tony running a deep in from Ryans left to the right side. We all know Tony is a guy that uses his body to post up on defenders. You need to put that throw on his body.And that came late in the game during crunch time.

I am not hating on Ryan. I never have. Fully believe he will get us a ring, but there are throws that he missed on. And if you don't think he should have done better then your a moron. Simple as that.

Guest Negatorris

Who said every throw had to perfectly crisp or pinpoint? Relax kid i've watched PLENTY of football. Probably more than you and most on here. Especially when it comes to Falcon games. Fact is, if you want to be considered in the talk with Peyton, Brady, Rodgers you can't mess up on important passes like some of the ones in this game.

The pass to Julio that was picked off up the right sideline. When you have a 6'4 220lb WR like Julio you can't throw that ball so far inside to where he can not make a play on it. Those passes have to be thrown high and outside to where either Julio can make a play on it or it goes out of bounds and not picked. How long have you been watching football? lol

The pass to Roddy on 4th and short near the goal line where Roddy runs an out route and was wide open and Ryan throws it high and inside. Again thats a clutch throw that you have to make on 4th and 1.

The pass to Tony late in the game where he is 1v1. Ryan throws it wide and high with Tony running a deep in from Ryans left to the right side. We all know Tony is a guy that uses his body to post up on defenders. You need to put that throw on his body.And that came late in the game during crunch time.

I am not hating on Ryan. I never have. Fully believe he will get us a ring, but there are throws that he missed on. And if you don't think he should have done better then your a moron. Simple as that.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were the QB Guru of AFMB. Simply amazing.

I don't know if you read my post or not(you should've since it was so short), but I don't recall ever saying that the bad throws need to be ignored. I just think it's maddeningly stupid to say a QB who missed a few throws during a game is 'pathetic at this point in his career'. That had to be the dumbest statement I've read today and it isn't hard to find them here.

Besides a few rare instances Ryan's pocket was muddled for most of the game, and for you to be such a QB guru I'd think you'd be able to understand that if a QB doesn't trust that his OL can keep him clean they will tend to rush throws and mess up routine mechanics. Ryan is not excused for his errant passes, but let's not act like those are only throws that someone like Brandon Weeden would make.

Did you watch the most recent Superbowl or what? Peyton freakin' Manning, probably the best QB to ever play the game, a guy who has been in the league more than twice as long as MATT RYAN, made PLENTY of errant throws because the Seachickens were sending guys at him from every direction. It was clear as day that he wasn't comfortable under center from the initial snap of the game. Heck, you can even point to his playoff game against the Ravens last year, and the way that one ended.

This is football. These things happen. You would be hard pressed to find a QB who hits on every throw and never misses opportune moments. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible for you to do so. Ryan made bad throws but to sit there and seriously type that good QBs won't make those mistakes is MORONIC.

Almost as moronic as your understanding of the difference between you're and your.

Oh wow, I didn't realize you were the QB Guru of AFMB. Simply amazing.

I don't know if you read my post or not(you should've since it was so short), but I don't recall ever saying that the bad throws need to be ignored. I just think it's maddeningly stupid to say a QB who missed a few throws during a game is 'pathetic at this point in his career'. That had to be the dumbest statement I've read today and it isn't hard to find them here.

Besides a few rare instances Ryan's pocket was muddled for most of the game, and for you to be such a QB guru I'd think you'd be able to understand that if a QB doesn't trust that his OL can keep him clean they will tend to rush throws and mess up routine mechanics. Ryan is not excused for his errant passes, but let's not act like those are only throws that someone like Brandon Weeden would make.

Did you watch the most recent Superbowl or what? Peyton freakin' Manning, probably the best QB to ever play the game, a guy who has been in the league more than twice as long as MATT RYAN, made PLENTY of errant throws because the Seachickens were sending guys at him from every direction. It was clear as day that he wasn't comfortable under center from the initial snap of the game. Heck, you can even point to his playoff game against the Ravens last year, and the way that one ended.

This is football. These things happen. You would be hard pressed to find a QB who hits on every throw and never misses opportune moments. As a matter of fact, it would be impossible for you to do so. Ryan made bad throws but to sit there and seriously type that good QBs won't make those mistakes is MORONIC.

Almost as moronic as your understanding of the difference between you're and your.

Those throws were absolutely pathetic throws. There is most definitely no way around it. For Ryan to be a borderline top 5 QB in the NFL you can't make those throws. There is no debate about it. There is no excuse for it. Yes they do happen, but that doesn't mean its acceptable. If it were 1 play i wouldn't have minded. If it was JUST the pass to Roddy i would have still said it was a horrible throw. I never once said Ryan is horrible though. So again, not sure if your reading comprehension is terrible or you are just a dumb kid.

Actually Ryan's protection in that game was not near as bad as it was in other games. The Patriots lost Vince Wilfork in the early 1st quarter and also lost Tommie Harris. They were without their two best DT's. And not to mention the O line play was not the cause of those bad passes. So why even bring it up? I suggest you go rewatch the game before making ignorant comments.

This is football. Bad throws do happen, but that does not mean that they are acceptable. If you go ask Ryan about those passes what do you think he will say? He is going to say that they were bad throws and he has to correct them and they were.

Ohhhhhh so you really think I care about grammar? Are you being "that guy" who has to result to grammar insults? lol nice

WTF are you attacking Clark for ? .......wacko.png ,,,,,IMO he is one of the very best posters here, most of the good ones have already left.

I am assuming he thought I was calling Ryan a pathetic QB when I am saying that some of the passes were pathetic. Who knows. Preciate the compliment though mate cool.png

Guest Negatorris

WTF are you attacking Clark for ? .......wacko.png ,,,,,IMO he is one of the very best posters here, most of the good ones have already left.

I'm not attacking him at all.

I don't even remember ever interacting with him, so I don't have an opinion on him being a good poster or not. And I could really care less.

I am assuming he thought I was calling Ryan a pathetic QB when I am saying that some of the passes were pathetic. Who knows. Preciate the compliment though mate cool.png

Yes even the great Matt Ryan has his share of flubbers LOL. Just don't see why he had to fly off the handle....Sympton of the TATF universe I reckon ...

Guest Negatorris

Those throws were absolutely pathetic throws. There is most definitely no way around it. For Ryan to be a borderline top 5 QB in the NFL you can't make those throws. There is no debate about it. There is no excuse for it. Yes they do happen, but that doesn't mean its acceptable. If it were 1 play i wouldn't have minded. If it was JUST the pass to Roddy i would have still said it was a horrible throw. I never once said Ryan is horrible though. So again, not sure if your reading comprehension is terrible or you are just a dumb kid.

Actually Ryan's protection in that game was not near as bad as it was in other games. The Patriots lost Vince Wilfork in the early 1st quarter and also lost Tommie Harris. They were without their two best DT's. And not to mention the O line play was not the cause of those bad passes. So why even bring it up? I suggest you go rewatch the game before making ignorant comments.

This is football. Bad throws do happen, but that does not mean that they are acceptable. If you go ask Ryan about those passes what do you think he will say? He is going to say that they were bad throws and he has to correct them and they were.

Ohhhhhh so you really think I care about grammar? Are you being "that guy" who has to result to grammar insults? lol nice

You question my reading comprehension abilities yet you think I'm excusing Ryan for the throws? I've stated several times that I wasn't excusing him for the bad passes, just saying you're crazy to think any of the top QBs don't do the same thing. This isn't a fantasy world. There are no perfect QBs and there never will be. And I CLEARLY said that Ryan did not trust his protection throughout the game which in turn could cause a QB to suddenly develop Cam Newton type mechanics. Put on your glasses old man. Never did I say that on the plays where Ryan threw an errant pass, that the OL was falling apart during the play. I suggest you go re-read my posts before making ignorant responses.

And to answer your last question, no I'm not "that guy that resorts to grammar insults". I just thought it was quite ironic how you attempted to insult my intelligence when you couldn't even comprehend the correct form of your/you're to use. That's like 2nd grade English gramps, but I'm the moron/dumb kid.

Lol

Guest Negatorris

Yes even the great Matt Ryan has his share of flubbers LOL. Just don't see why he had to fly off the handle....Sympton of the TATF universe I reckon ...

I did nothing close to flying of the handle.

Flying off the handle is more like when you went on a rage because a bunch of people here said the Hawks would lose Game 7 of the Pacers series(which they did).

"rawr ur a chit fan bcuz you said a rookie-coached injury plagued 8 seed would lose a crucial game 7 to a healthy 1 seed away from home zomg!!!!"

You question my reading comprehension abilities yet you think I'm excusing Ryan for the throws? I've stated several times that I wasn't excusing him for the bad passes, just saying you're crazy to think any of the top QBs don't do the same thing. This isn't a fantasy world. There are no perfect QBs and there never will be. And I CLEARLY said that Ryan did not trust his protection throughout the game which in turn could cause a QB to suddenly develop Cam Newton type mechanics. Put on your glasses old man. Never did I say that on the plays where Ryan threw an errant pass, that the OL was falling apart during the play. I suggest you go re-read my posts before making ignorant responses.

And to answer your last question, no I'm not "that guy that resorts to grammar insults". I just thought it was quite ironic how you attempted to insult my intelligence when you couldn't even comprehend the correct form of your/you're to use. That's like 2nd grade English gramps, but I'm the moron/dumb kid.

Lol

Sheesh

Again. "Ryan didn't trust his protection". How do you know this? You dont. Why would he not? His protection wasn't that bad in this game therefore he would have no reason to not trust his protection. And his protection had no effect on the passes. They were bad passes. That were unforced errors

And its not as if he made 1 bad throw in this game. He made several. No one ever said that Peyton Manning doesn't make bad passes, but he rarely makes unforced errors like the ones in this game.

Yes you are apparently a moron for acting as if I said Ryan should have had a perfect game. People always result to grammar comments when they realize some of the dumb posts that they have made. Grammar is not my priority when i type lol. Kids these days...

Just as a neutral opinion, you were kinda overrating to every Matt Ryan mistake. You would be like "Konz just misses a block on UDFA NT, then stupid idiot Ryan makes a pathetic throw to Julio. Good QB's dont do that!!!" You seemed to be baiting Ryan supporters. I realize he wasnt perfect, but the way in which your tone changed when you were writing about Ryan seemed a bit strange.

Just as a neutral opinion, you were kinda overrating to every Matt Ryan mistake. You would be like "Konz just misses a block on UDFA NT, then stupid idiot Ryan makes a pathetic throw to Julio. Good QB's dont do that!!!" You seemed to be baiting Ryan supporters. I realize he wasnt perfect, but the way in which your tone changed when you were writing about Ryan seemed a bit strange.

Two completely different players. Konz who is constantly getting beat and i'm constantly writing his name on here obviously i don't have to go into detail about him getting beat. 1 sack by Konz is not nearly as detrimental has a turnover by Ryan which is the result of a poor throw. Do you understand what i mean?

Obviously i am more upset about our QB turning the ball over than Konz giving up a sack. Especially when I hold our QB in such high regard. I expect better from him. He is constantly on the borderline top 5 QB's in the NFL in my opinion. And when you are in clutch goal line situations you have to execute. If Ryan was facing heavy pressure and it got picked then obviously i have no problem. I don't see how my tone was weird at all.

Guest Negatorris

Sheesh

Again. "Ryan didn't trust his protection". How do you know this? You dont. Why would he not? His protection wasn't that bad in this game therefore he would have no reason to not trust his protection. And his protection had no effect on the passes. They were bad passes. That were unforced errors

And its not as if he made 1 bad throw in this game. He made several. No one ever said that Peyton Manning doesn't make bad passes, but he rarely makes unforced errors like the ones in this game.

Yes you are apparently a moron for acting as if I said Ryan should have had a perfect game. People always result to grammar comments when they realize some of the dumb posts that they have made. Grammar is not my priority when i type lol. Kids these days...

I'm starting to think you're pulling all of our legs and never actually watched the Falcons in 2013. Great joke man, I really amend you.

Peyton Manning makes plenty of mistakes, as does Rodgers, as does Brady. Heck, have you ever seen Drew Brees play?

And you say people always resort to grammar comments when they realize some of the dumb posts that they have made? Really? Lmao, maybe you're just one of those blowhards who needs to go back to elementary school and stop thinking you're right about everything. You might be able to learn a thing or two from 'kids these days'.

Two completely different players. Konz who is constantly getting beat and i'm constantly writing his name on here obviously i don't have to go into detail about him getting beat. 1 sack by Konz is not nearly as detrimental has a turnover by Ryan which is the result of a poor throw. Do you understand what i mean?

Obviously i am more upset about our QB turning the ball over than Konz giving up a sack. Especially when I hold our QB in such high regard. I expect better from him. He is constantly on the borderline top 5 QB's in the NFL in my opinion. And when you are in clutch goal line situations you have to execute. If Ryan was facing heavy pressure and it got picked then obviously i have no problem. I don't see how my tone was weird at all.

tumblr_lispkjmi591qdggdno1_500.gif

Obviously i am more upset about our QB turning the ball over than Konz giving up a sack. Especially when I hold our QB in such high regard. I expect better from him. I don't see how my tone was weird at all.

why dont you have to go into detail with him? wouldnt that help analyze the game Ryan played?, if thats what were here for. And I would certainly argue that constant pressure from the interior is very detrimental to Ryans performance.

Personally, being a former O-Linemen, I am much more upset when I see our line screwup, but that just me. I think the QB is fine. Either way, all Torris was saying was that you seemed to be freaking out on Ryan over a few missed passes, but other players screwed up the whole game and werent called "pitiful at this stage of their career". It was just a bit weird. Just my opinion

I'm starting to think you're pulling all of our legs and never actually watched the Falcons in 2013. Great joke man, I really amend you.

Peyton Manning makes plenty of mistakes, as does Rodgers, as does Brady. Heck, have you ever seen Drew Brees play?

And you say people always resort to grammar comments when they realize some of the dumb posts that they have made? Really? Lmao, maybe you're just one of those blowhards who needs to go back to elementary school and stop thinking you're right about everything. You might be able to learn a thing or two from 'kids these days'.

tumblr_lispkjmi591qdggdno1_500.gif

Why you avoiding the question? lol. So you said Ryan didn't trust his protection. Ok so if his protection held up then why wouldn't he trust them? And again what would that matter when protection wasn't the issue on the throws. I am still waiting. You are a teenager. I have forgotten more football than you know. Maybe you should go rewatch the game and you can make a halfway decent post.

No one said they never make mistakes. But you have top 5 QB's and you have guys on the borderline like Ryan. He made some terrible throws that a QB as good as him should not make.

Awwww cute gif. How new and exciting

why dont you have to go into detail with him? wouldnt that help analyze the game Ryan played?, if thats what were here for. And I would certainly argue that constant pressure from the interior is very detrimental to Ryans performance.

Personally, being a former O-Linemen, I am much more upset when I see our line screwup, but that just me. I think the QB is fine. Either way, all Torris was saying was that you seemed to be freaking out on Ryan over a few missed passes, but other players screwed up the whole game and werent called "pitiful at this stage of their career". It was just a bit weird. Just my opinion

Because there is not much detail to go into. Being a former O lineman you should know this. Konz over extends and got beat off the snap for a sack. He isn't a top player so i don't expect him to have top results. Not sure how you don't see the difference.

And it was a 4th and 1 that Ryan missed which turned the ball over and then an interception on a poorly thrown ball which resulted in a turnover. Again, not sure how you don't see the difference.

Yes Julio dropped some passes, but he didn't drop an easy TD pass. And he didn't have two fumbles to result in turnovers.

I wasn't baiting anyone. Never done that. Don't care to do it. I've already stated what I think of Ryan in this thread. If someone took it the wrong way then thats fine. Commonly happens when you are reading the text.

Because there is not much detail to go into. Being a former O lineman you should know this. Konz over extends and got beat off the snap for a sack. He isn't a top player so i don't expect him to have top results. Not sure how you don't see the difference.

And it was a 4th and 1 that Ryan missed which turned the ball over and then an interception on a poorly thrown ball which resulted in a turnover. Again, not sure how you don't see the difference.

Yes Julio dropped some passes, but he didn't drop an easy TD pass. And he didn't have two fumbles to result in turnovers.

I wasn't baiting anyone. Never done that. Don't care to do it. I've already stated what I think of Ryan in this thread. If someone took it the wrong way then thats fine. Commonly happens when you are reading the text.

missing blocks all games in much worse than missing two throws. and we dont have to go for 4th and 1 if we convert before that.

again, you seem to want a reaction. it hurt what was otherwise a solid analysis of the game. im not sure how you cant see that

Edited by Truth.