Atlanta Falcons To Field Undersized 3-4 Front Seven

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Clearly OP does not understand that we run a Hybrid defense. 4-3 under. Look at seattle and ask if we are undersized. The only one that is questionable is Bartu, but he will bulk up, plus I think we like how speedy he is. Dude had 3.5 sacks, which is .5 less than Bierrmann in 2012. Dude will be fine.

Thats the thing... Ive heard alot of our guys are bigger... Coach Smith said thats one of the things he wanted coming into this year.. bigger and stronger .. So its to early to say the weight of our guys.... Most will likely be bigger.

Worrilow probably be around 240 now.. The rookie LB said the coaching staff wants him up to 235lbs so thats probably the limit for our ILB

Personally I don't care about the weight I personally think functional strength and physicality is where the improvements have to be made to me weight is just a number.

I've seen and heard this in the sport I have grown up in guys have tried to bulk up and in many cases it has had led to injury and the inability for that persons body type to carry that extra weight.

Also in many cases has cost that person with the extra bulk a loss in speed & explosiveness so while some people maybe able to carry and perform at a heavier weight I'm not overly sold by players doing it.

A great example of a draftee this year that played at 285 ish but was told needed to bulk up was Will Sutton at 285 the guy was explosive as anyone going playing at 300 + cost him that and at the end of the day though he got drafted cost him big time $$$$$ wise.

I just took a look at the front sevens of five of the league's better 3-4 defenses, with size specifically in mind. The defenses I singled out include NO, SF, KC, ARI and NYJ. The longest of the five was ARI and the heaviest was NO. Here is the average height and weight of each of the front seven positions. Our depth chart hasn't been flushed out but I've included my depth chart projections, along with the size metrics of each player:

NT = 6'3" - 340 lbs

Soliai = 6'4" - 340 lbs

Peters = 6'3" - 305 lbs

Robertson = 6'4" - 304 lbs wont make the roster

LDE = 6'4" - 300 lbs

Jackson = 6'4 - 296 lbs

Goodman = 6'4" - 290+ lbs (He was told to bulk up to 290+ after he was drafted)

Matthews = 6'4" - 268 lbs - wont make the roster

RDE = 6'5" - 285 lbs

Hageman = 6'6" - 318 lbs

Babineaux = 6'2" - 300 lbs

Jelly = 6'2" - 295 lbs wont make the roster

LILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Worrilow = 6'2" - 232 lbs (no way he hasn't bulked up in offseaon, probably more like 245 now)

Smallwood = 6'2" - 246 lbs (he's only 6'2", but combine weight was 246, which I'm sure they want him at)

Dent = 6'1" - 239 lbs wont make the roster

RILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Weatherspoon = 6'1" - 244 lbs (Spoon is only 6'1" 1/4)

Bartu = 6'2" - 230 lbs (was listed as 237 @ combine, much like Worrilow, has put on weight in offseaon)

Spruill = 6'1" - 235 lbs (was told to get back up to 235 after losing weight for combine)

LOLB = 6'3" - 261 lbs

Biermann = 6'3" - 255 lbs

Maponga = 6'2" - 265 lbs

Shembo = 6'2" - 254 lbs

ROLB = 6'4" - 266 lbs

Massaquoi = 6'2" - 264 lbs

Umenyiora = 6'3" - 255 lbs

Starr = 6'4" - 250 lbs

I just took a look at the front sevens of five of the league's better 3-4 defenses, with size specifically in mind. The defenses I singled out include NO, SF, KC, ARI and NYJ. The longest of the five was ARI and the heaviest was NO. Here is the average height and weight of each of the front seven positions. Our depth chart hasn't been flushed out but I've included my depth chart projections, along with the size metrics of each player:

NT = 6'3" - 340 lbs

Soliai = 6'4" - 340 lbs

Peters = 6'3" - 305 lbs

Robertson = 6'4" - 304 lbs

LDE = 6'4" - 300 lbs

Jackson = 6'4 - 296 lbs

Goodman = 6'4" - 276 lbs

Matthews = 6'4" - 268 lbs

RDE = 6'5" - 285 lbs

Hageman = 6'6" - 318 lbs

Jelly = 6'2" - 295 lbs

LILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Worrilow = 6'1" - 232 lbs

Smallwood = 6'3" - 236 lbs

Dent = 6'1" - 239 lbs

RILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Weatherspoon = 6'2" - 244 lbs

Bartu = 6'2" - 230 lbs

Spruill = 6'0" - 224 lbs

LOLB = 6'3" - 261 lbs

Maponga = 6'2" - 265 lbs

Shembo = 6'2" - 254 lbs

ROLB = 6'4" - 266 lbs

Starr = 6'4" - 250 lbs

Keep in mind five or six of these players will either be cut or sent to the practice squad. Only five players seem to fit the ideal size profile. They are Soliai, Hageman, Spoon, Smallwood and Dent. If we move to a 3-4 base defense as rumored, we could be undersized at many positions. Especially the reserves.

off your meds again I see... laugh.png

Sort of odd that the OLBs in the 3-4 are now 265. A lot of the migration to 3-4 was because it's very difficult to find that 6'4+, 270 lb 4-3 DE, so they transitioned because you can get a lot of pressure with a 250-255 lb guy at 3-4 OLB (and there are way more of them). Just interesting to see that the OLBs are starting to look more like 4-3 DEs.

Regardless, we're bigger on the line than average, and within 10 lbs on the OLBs. We'll see. I actually like the penetrating 3-4 (smaller NT, but still an NT) but I'm very curious to see how all this works out.

Well with Tyson Jackson on one side and 77 on the other and

Solial in the middle we are too big if anything. They are going to work them

in some kind of rotation and we can get as strong or as quick as we want to be.

We have a lot of options.

Clearly OP does not understand that we run a Hybrid defense. 4-3 under. Look at seattle and ask if we are undersized. The only one that is questionable is Bartu, but he will bulk up, plus I think we like how speedy he is. Dude had 3.5 sacks, which is .5 less than Bierrmann in 2012. Dude will be fine.

I can't wait to see Bartu all bulked up. He and that 12yr old face of his. I have big hopes for him.

I can't wait to see Bartu all bulked up. He and that 12yr old face of his. I have big hopes for him.

LMAO. Not many of us. I think he is going to show people up. Too many people slept on him, because Worrilow was tackle master, but dude had 80+ sacks and 3.5 sacks as a rookie, when he did not even start at the beginning of the year. I would not be surprised if he doubled that amount this year with the help he is going to get from having jackson and Soliai helping him on the strong side.

Dude is my sleeper. I would even go so far to say that he has replaced Kroy at being the SLB aka everything guy. He can rush the passer, defend the run, and cover better than Kroy.

LDE = 6'4" - 300 lbs

Jackson = 6'4 - 296 lbs

Goodman = 6'4" - 276 lbs

RDE = 6'5" - 285 lbs

Hageman = 6'6" - 318 lbs

Jelly = 6'2" - 295 lbs

you should flip those and they are correct sizes. most of the other players are fine.

you also seem to believe players must all be the same size. if a guy is 6'2" 254 and the prototype size is 6'3" 261, the guy is fine. anywhere within 5-10 pounds and an inch or two of the ideal size is fine

LMAO. Not many of us. I think he is going to show people up. Too many people slept on him, because Worrilow was tackle master, but dude had 80+ sacks and 3.5 sacks as a rookie, when he did not even start at the beginning of the year. I would not be surprised if he doubled that amount this year with the help he is going to get from having jackson and Soliai helping him on the strong side.

Dude is my sleeper. I would even go so far to say that he has replaced Kroy at being the SLB aka everything guy. He can rush the passer, defend the run, and cover better than Kroy.

It made me think of Mad Max: Beyond Thunder Dome. The big huge guy with the helmet on. When he got it knocked off he had the face of a child. Master Blaster!! My new nickname for Bartu. lol

The way I add if u take all the "average" weights and compare them to our starters we only average being a pound light per position. I'm not sure whether or not our guy took a crap before the game makes a big difference in how we stack up on the field.

Well the way I add it we are still light in the pants. We will be bringing a light weight defense to the table again. They better rise or heads may roll. Lots of em.

Well the way I add it we are still light in the pants. We will be bringing a light weight defense to the table again. They better rise or heads may roll. Lots of em.

You claim you are an intelligent poster, but you do not understand that not every team runs the same 3-4 or that we run a hybrid defense similar to that of the Seahawks.

You claim you are an intelligent poster, but you do not understand that not every team runs the same 3-4 or that we run a hybrid defense similar to that of the Seahawks.

I don't claim to be an intelligent poster. Truth is many here think I'm clueless.

But as of 5/24/14 at 11:35 pm ET I think our 3-4 is light in the front seven. 4-3 too.

NT = 6'3" - 340 lbs

Soliai = 6'4" - 340 lbs

Peters = 6'3" - 305 lbs

Robertson = 6'4" - 304 lbs

LDE = 6'4" - 300 lbs

Jackson = 6'4 - 296 lbs

Goodman = 6'4" - 276 lbs

RDE = 6'5" - 285 lbs

Hageman = 6'6" - 318 lbs

Jelly = 6'2" - 295 lbs

LILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Worrilow = 6'1" - 232 lbs

Smallwood = 6'3" - 236 lbs

Dent = 6'1" - 239 lbs

RILB = 6'1" - 238 lbs

Weatherspoon = 6'2" - 244 lbs

Bartu = 6'2" - 230 lbs

Spruill = 6'0" - 224 lbs

LOLB = 6'3" - 261 lbs

Maponga = 6'2" - 265 lbs

Shembo = 6'2" - 254 lbs

ROLB = 6'4" - 266 lbs

Starr = 6'4" - 250 lbs

Keep in mind five or six of these players will either be cut or sent to the practice squad. Only five players seem to fit the ideal size profile. They are Soliai, Hageman, Spoon, Smallwood and Dent. If we move to a 3-4 base defense as rumored, we could be undersized at many positions. Especially the reserves.

That's interesting bro.

I would have never thought that the average weight for inside linebackers in the nfl was 238lbs. I always figured it was around 255.

I think we gotta get some more veterans to add size and toughness to our front seven. Doesnt have to be high cost guys. They GOTTA BE TOUGH AND PHYSICAL though.