Thought On Changing The Playoff Race In 2015?

I think they should just get rid of the divisionn part of it an just split it into conferences.This goes for both the NBA an NFL...

Cause we all know every year some team doesnt go to the playoffs because their division or conference is just better or thier isnt enough spots..Examples including Suns (NBA),Cards (NFL),Timberewolves (NBA),etc.

In my opinion they should be conferenced by location like so...

NFL East

Falcons

Panthers

Saints

Bucs

Jags

Colts

Titans

Texans

Patriots

Bills

Dolphins

Jets

Cowboys

Giants

Eagles

Redskins

NFL West

49ers

Seahawks

Rams

Cards

Broncos

Chiefs

Raiders

Chargers

Steelers

Ravens

Browns

Bengals

Packers

Bears

Vikings

Lions

NBA East

Hawks

Heat

Magic

Grizzlies

Raptors

Nets

Celtics

Knicks

Pelicans

Bobcats

Bulls

Pacers

Cavaliers

76ers

Wizards

NBA West

Thunder

Warriors

Lakers

Spurs

Rockets

Trail Blazers

Mavericks

Pistons

Bucks

Nuggets

Jazz

Kings

Clippers

Suns

Timberwolves

Of course some of these teams could be flip flopped or rearranged but have it where its only a about 7/8 teams from each conference to make the playoffs an have a total of 14/16 team playoff an may the best person win...

Id also like to throw in instead of having a conference playoff have it where the 1 seed from each conference play each other in the playoffs an the rest follows as is East 2 vs West 2, East 3 vs West 3,etc.

These are just my thoughts on the topic but im down for expanding...

Edited by dirtybird#11

An expansion of the playoffs could in turn yield some interesting results for teams on the outside looking in the old system because they would miss the playoffs, but the new playoff seeding would change the thought process of teams going say 8-8 or 9-7 and even 10-6 ( refer to Arizona Cardinals last season ).

The down side is that half the league gets into the playoffs. It also brings in the option of adding teams to the league in the future.

We shouldnt have more teams. There are only like 10-15 startable QB's to begin with. All expansion would do is water down the whole league.

I think more games would mean more time for depth players to play which means we would have more "whole" teams going into the playoffs. In the NBA you can't play your "starters" all game every game. There's just too many games. If we add a couple in the NFL it might actually be better for the starters - the coaches would be forced to play depth.

Players would still have the same workload of plays, there would just be more of them that backups would play. Whats the point of that? It wouldnt get anyone rest, and if anything, it would lead to more injuries

In my opinion, all these stupid changes are why I like the MLB more than the NFL. Any changes made in baseball takes years and are calculated and thought about to ensure they wont upset the fans/balance of the game. With the NFL, it is as if they dont think about fans at all. I realize they would make more money, and some fans like the expansion of playoffs/total number of teams/length of season, but from what I have seen, most fans hate the ideas. The NFL never makes decisions for its die-hard fans, only for casual fans (aka profit). For example: the draft this year was held over 3 days in May compared to the traditional 2 day draft on the weekend. I know some could care less about this stuff and it wouldnt bother me either if it was just one thing, but it is everything. Goodell (aka the owners) suck. They could care less about the traditions of the NFL (the draft, the playoffs, records, the style of play, etc) and just keep catering to fantasy football fans. I know it doesnt matter because I am still gonna watch, but I just wish they cared about the fans that have followed for years more than the casual fan.

Well dayuum this thing add more teams smells like a dallas cowgirl "help us please" move to me. This is a great source for valued opinion's and I respect everybody's

input. Yes I agree it's a money move and for the fan's more games. I still like our traditional way of football and see it going down too much for my liking.

I will admit one thing not falcons related........Anyone remember when Matt Cassel took over for Tom brady the year he had been hurt? I believe lol they had a record

of 11-5 an didn't make the playoffs. Your team works that hard and doesn't make it?? WOW, they had to be steaming that season! I guess that's the afc for ya.

The thing that makes me wonder about this reach for more team's are more injuries......that would suck big time!!

Edited by Supa Dupa Falcon

We shouldnt have more teams. There are only like 10-15 startable QB's to begin with. All expansion would do is water down the league

The European soccer league has double the teams we have and yet is not "watered-down"how is that so?

Number of teams 32 (group stage)

76 or 77 (total) in the Champions league.

Yes I know it's a different sport and we can't compare something that doesn't take a physical toll like the NFL does, but you are correct about how many starting caliber quarterbacks there are.

I don't want to D railed the thread to something different so to keep it on topic I do believe the changes needed so that teams that go 11-5 or 10-6 get into the playoffs

They need to change the NFL playoffs in 2 ways. First is to add one playoff game to each conference. That means the 1 seed is the only team that gets a bye week. Making it harder to get a bye will make the games later in the year more important and the teams will be less likely to rest players in later weeks.

People complain that adding these two games will be detrimental to player health or will diminish the importance of the regular season. For me I want the 10-6 and 11-5 team to make the playoffs (AKA the cardinals from last year) while also including all division winners. This will only make four teams play one extra game. However its not adding a round to the playoffs, so it really is not lengthening the amount of games a non bye week teams can expect to play if they want to win the superbowl.

The second change I want to implement would be that any division winner that does not win more than 8 games does not get home field advantage. I know we all enjoyed the Seahawks beast mode game when they were 7-9, but they were very undeserving of retaining home field advantage that year.

The European soccer league has double the teams we have and yet is not "watered-down"how is that so?

Number of teams 32 (group stage)

76 or 77 (total) in the Champions league.

Yes I know it's a different sport and we can't compare something that doesn't take a physical toll like the NFL does, but you are correct about how many starting caliber quarterbacks there are.

I don't want to D railed the thread to something different so to keep it on topic I do believe the changes needed so that teams that go 11-5 or 10-6 get into the playoffs

I agree, but you have to remember that the vast majority of 11-5, 10-6 teams get in. It is rare to see a team miss with that record

I agree, but you have to remember that the vast majority of 11-5, 10-6 teams get in. It is rare to see a team miss with that record

Exactly; it would mean more watered down talent that elite talent makes it.

Let's just give them all a trophy and take them out for pizza, 'cause we don't want to upset anyone's feelings... "Oh, we were 10-6 and missed the playoffs..."

Shoulda tried for 11-5 then...

In my opinion, all these stupid changes are why I like the MLB more than the NFL. Any changes made in baseball takes years and are calculated and thought about to ensure they wont upset the fans/balance of the game. With the NFL, it is as if they dont think about fans at all. I realize they would make more money, and some fans like the expansion of playoffs/total number of teams/length of season, but from what I have seen, most fans hate the ideas. The NFL never makes decisions for its die-hard fans, only for casual fans (aka profit). For example: the draft this year was held over 3 days in May compared to the traditional 2 day draft on the weekend. I know some could care less about this stuff and it wouldnt bother me either if it was just one thing, but it is everything. Goodell (aka the owners) suck. They could care less about the traditions of the NFL (the draft, the playoffs, records, the style of play, etc) and just keep catering to fantasy football fans. I know it doesnt matter because I am still gonna watch, but I just wish they cared about the fans that have followed for years more than the casual fan.

MLB has 162 game seasons.... that is the definition of watered down.

MLB has 162 game seasons.... that is the definition of watered down.

adding games in football is different than baseball. football would get even more injuries, thus forcing backups into playing time they wouldnt typically get. baseball doesnt have the same problem. and adding teams would only add to that problem.

As long as sub .500 teams don't leak in, I'm for it...would add extra drama at the end of the season, and make the #1 seed a truly coveted spot.

I believe more sub .500 teams will benefit than 10+ win teams missing out. Football is gonna over expose itself. Sunday/Monday football is already losing its uniqueness. Like 6-6 NCAAF going to Bowl games and coaches thumping their chest about it.