Matthews Contract Breakdown- 16 Mil Over 4 Years All Guaranteed

$4 Mill per year for your best OT is an awesome bargain. Add that to our starting #1 CB making relative peanuts for that position and two of the more expensive positions on the team (#1 OT and #1 CB) we are getting steals on. This is a side of smart drafting TD does not always get credit for.

This assumes Trufant plays even better than last year and Mathews will be better than Sam Baker by opening day....two things I think will happen. Not a slight on the above average Baker when healthy, but more a compliment to how good Mathews already is.

Don't understand why they're doing roster bonuses with low base salaries? Anybody know?

If player is cut, traded or lost to injury, no roster bonus because it is not guaranteed (if he doesn't show up)? It is unusual the way the base salaries are so low though, perhaps due to such a high SB?

$4 Mill per year for your best OT is an awesome bargain. Add that to our starting #1 CB making relative peanuts for that position and two of the more expensive positions on the team (#1 OT and #1 CB) we are getting steals on. This is a side of smart drafting TD does not always get credit for.

This assumes Trufant plays even better than last year and Mathews will be better than Sam Baker by opening day....two things I think will happen. Not a slight on the above average Baker when healthy, but more a compliment to how good Mathews already is.

I agree but why make so much guaranteed?Not that I have an issue but like the OP I'm curious?

I agree but why make so much guaranteed?Not that I have an issue but like the OP I'm curious?

The signing bonus and base salaries are guaranteed.

Roster bonuses are by definition bonuses that you receive by being on the roster at a specific date in March.

I think McClure is assuming that Matthews isn't going anywhere and those bonuses are pretty much guaranteed as well.

My guess is that the contract is structured this way as a win win for the agent and spreading out the cap hits.

I believe that as part of the new CBA the first round draft picks money has to be fully guaranteed. Every teams first rounder gets the same consideration.

So the tradeoff in the new CBA, which I haven't familiarized myself with, was less overall money, but the money they get is largely guaranteed. That would be a piece of the puzzle that would make some sense to this.

It may be a really practical reason, especially considering that there is no way Matthews is getting cut before 4 years is up.

1) these guys base salary divided by 17 ( weeks during the season). A Roster bonus is the first check a lot of guys will see since the end of December and the last one until September.

2) It practically has no different effect on the cap hit than base salary. For later round picks, it may in fact be a bonus, by making the roster. For Matthews, it's a timing thing.

So the tradeoff in the new CBA, which I haven't familiarized myself with, was less overall money, but the money they get is largely guaranteed. That would be a piece of the puzzle that would make some sense to this.

Yes, there are different considerations for the lower picks as well. I believe all first rounders are 4 years fully guaranteed with a 5th year option. Which is what we just did with Julio.

Yes, there are different considerations for the lower picks as well. I believe all first rounders are 4 years fully guaranteed with a 5th year option. Which is what we just did with Julio.

I wonder if there is a contingency on the roster bonus? Such as, it's guaranteed unless he fails to show up that 3rd day of camp. Even if he was cut he'd still get it, but if he doesn't show up he doesn't get it would be only contingency? Its just strange to have such disproportionate roster bonus vs salary.

I wonder if there is a contingency on the roster bonus? Such as, it's guaranteed unless he fails to show up that 3rd day of camp. Even if he was cut he'd still get it, but if he doesn't show up he doesn't get it would be only contingency? Its just strange to have such disproportionate roster bonus vs salary.

I don't have a clue about that Bro. I believe that pretty much every thing else is negotiable. They can still include clauses regarding conduct. I'm sure it would take a New York lawyer to explain it so you couldn't understand it. lol