One Thing I Can't Figure Out

There's plenty to say about this draft, and most of it has been said - WTF is a Dezmen Southward, etc...

I honestly thought we had a GREAT draft. Matthews is... Matthews, Hageman should and could have been a first round pick (he will beast). I feel like Devonta could be our Ray Rice. ****, I think Tyler Starr could end up being a Worrilow-like surprise.

But the biggest question I had of the whole draft -

Why the **** did we trade up for Marquis Spruill? I've seen highlights on everyone, I called Bartu and Worrilow to be stars when I first saw their highlights. But this guy I don't get. I saw nothing truly impressive in his game at all - his biggest trait seems to be just running fast at the QB if he has a straight and clear path to him... Is there something I'm missing here? Any 'Cuse fans that know something I don't? I just don't get why we'd waste 2 picks to trade up for him.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest facelessman07

He uses the same hair gel brand as TD so instantly during pre-draft meetings there was a connection

He's pretty fast for a LB and has good blitz potential but can also cover. He's a depth signing, but wouldn't be bad if needed to be relied on in a pinch. He's straight linish, that's true, but point him at the QB and let him go. I think he's a 3-5 sack max type of guy, with guys like Hageman, Soliai and Jackson holding up blocks and him coming with other LBs vs a confused OL. He can close in a hurry, so delayed blitzes could work with him. That's all I see. Like a Daryl Washington light. Really light.

Why would you draft more rookies than you can even keep on the team? For every seventh round project you roll the dice on, you are forgoing quality depth or tossing out last year's projects. And if you expected first-year contributions from everybody like that, they wouldn't be called a project, would they?

Historically speaking, TD will make a move like that if a player they felt fit their system is rated much higher on their board than the round they are in, and they will move up to make sure someone else doesn't grab him feeling it is a value pick.

I'm not making a judgment on the move, just stating what I've seen him do before.

Why would you draft more rookies than you can even keep on the team? For every seventh round project you roll the dice on, you are forgoing quality depth or tossing out last year's projects. And if you expected first-year contributions from everybody like that, they wouldn't be called a project, would they?

Yeah lets just draft rounds 1-3 we may get lucky and hit one of those gems in a later round that make us better but cause us to have to cut some one we have been working with hoping one day they will be able to contribute. You are correct we have been doing this all wrong.

I like Spruill I think with coaching he will make a better pro than college player. I also like his attitude if he gets there you know he arrived and he move well in traffic. We will see though but I think he can stick on special teams and has some tools if he can learn the pro game.

Edited by Sobeit

Yeah lets just draft rounds 1-3 we may get lucky and hit one of those gems in a later round that make us better but cause us to have to cut some one we have been working with hoping one day they will be able to contribute. You are correct we have been doing this all wrong.

I like Spruill I think with coaching he will make a better pro than college player. I also like his attitude if he gets there you know he arrived and he move well in traffic. We will see though but I think he can stick on special teams and has some tools if he can learn the pro game.

I didn't say don't draft seventh rounders. I'd just prefer not to draft 4 of them.

Spruill to me represents a possible replacement for Spoon, if we cannot get a deal done or he gets hurt again. Dude is fast enough to be our WLB. His proday numbers basically line up with Spoons. He will be Spoon's backup, plus a fast guy like him would be great on special teams.

Plays fast and explodes to the ball, arriving with violent intentions. Fluid body control with the hip action and coordinated footwork to hold up in space and coverage. Improved functional strength to attack the run and fill lanes. Team leader with a solid resume as a four-year starter, seeing time at outside and inside linebacker.

WEAKNESSES: Lean torso and lanky frame with limited room to get stronger. Still developing his instincts and anticipation, more of a see-ball, get ball type who needs to see it before reacting. Struggles to shed blocks and will get lost in the trash. Still developing the mental part of his game, an area that seemed to stall. Will overpursue his target and needs to do a better job breaking down.

Here describes the WILL in the 4-3 under defense

On the WILL: "The Will linebacker is aligned against the offensive guard to his side of the field. He is basically a protected player in this alignment and should make a lot of tackles. He has to control his weak-side A gap and play relative to the Mike linebacker and the Free Safety. In coverage, he often plays the short middle.

"The Will linebacker can be a smaller player. He is generally protected in the defensive schemes and will not see as many blocks. All you want him to do most plays is flow and chase the football. We want our fastest linebacker at this position."

To me, it sounds like it fits him to a T. His weakness are not important at that position.

I am not sold on Starr at all. I see him as another late round white guy that tatf overhypes. Bear Woods, Kerry Meier, etc. I have been here way too long to buy in.

Guest fibonacci

If that is the only jack up I will live.

Falcons really had a solid draft. I can't really think of a time the falcons had a solid draft like this one.

There's plenty to say about this draft, and most of it has been said - WTF is a Dezmen Southward, etc...

I honestly thought we had a GREAT draft. Matthews is... Matthews, Hageman should and could have been a first round pick (he will beast). I feel like Devonta could be our Ray Rice. ****, I think Tyler Starr could end up being a Worrilow-like surprise.

But the biggest question I had of the whole draft -

Why the **** did we trade up for Marquis Spruill? I've seen highlights on everyone, I called Bartu and Worrilow to be stars when I first saw their highlights. But this guy I don't get. I saw nothing truly impressive in his game at all - his biggest trait seems to be just running fast at the QB if he has a straight and clear path to him... Is there something I'm missing here? Any 'Cuse fans that know something I don't? I just don't get why we'd waste 2 picks to trade up for him.

ST in hopes that he can develop into a solid backup at ILB

Spruill to me represents a possible replacement for Spoon, if we cannot get a deal done or he gets hurt again. Dude is fast enough to be our WLB. His proday numbers basically line up with Spoons. He will be Spoon's backup, plus a fast guy like him would be great on special teams.

Here describes the WILL in the 4-3 under defense

To me, it sounds like it fits him to a T. His weakness are not important at that position.

I am not sold on Starr at all. I see him as another late round white guy that tatf overhypes. Bear Woods, Kerry Meier, etc. I have been here way too long to buy in.

Yeah I hate rooting for guys on my team to succeed, too.

There are several school of thoughts when evaluating how a linebacker projects.

The most common and probably most common for all positions is how well the player move. After watching tape on Spruill, the common thing that stands out is the guy can flat out fly. He plays extremely fast and is surprisingly effective at taking on blocks. I say surpringly because his frame does not seem to fit the physical nature in which he plays.

The other reason to select a back is based on his football IQ. Spruill shows great instanct and an uncanny ability to always be around the ball. The guy flashes on tape more times than not.

The Falcons at the time of the draft had maybe 4 linebackers on the roster (hope I'm not wrong about that). If last year proved anything, depth is key. Bringing in and or trading up for an athletic backer made sense to me. There are so many uncertain areas that the Falcons had to address. Is Beirmann healthy enough, his Spoon's knee solid enough to last a season, moving to a 3-4, means more backers on the field and the need for more backups.

Can Osi handle duties in a 3-4? Can the yound D ends drafted convert to outside backers and be effective in a 3-4?

Spruill to me represented one of the best players left on the boards.

Lastly, why pay a draft choice the extra money when you know talented gem type players could be found in the college free agent pool. ie Tyler Starr.

I didn't say don't draft seventh rounders. I'd just prefer not to draft 4 of them.

What team did you watch in 2013? Those picks are more important than you realize those are the ones that make and break your roster and the more that you have the better your odds of hitting on a late round gem. This is what is meant by built through the draft and if you do not have those picks you end up resigning marginal guys for more than you should. Like it or not you can not build a team completely of all pros. It has been tried and ask Washington and Philly how it worked out. Those mid and late round picks play a huge part in your roster from year to year.

Edited by Sobeit

Yeah I hate rooting for guys on my team to succeed, too.

What does my post have to do with hate rooting for guys. So because I am not sucking their ****, I hate rooting for them. Smh. I thought Tatf got over the whole, if you are not a homer, then you are not a fan ********.