Buccaneers Now Sold On Glennon As Long Term Qb

Tom Servo

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap2000000352504/article/buccaneers-now-sold-on-mike-glennon-as-longterm-qb

The Bucs are back on the Mike Glennon Express.

0ap2000000346282.jpg

After months of lukewarm praise and hints that last year's rookie starter might be shopped, general manager Jason Licht now says Tampa's new regime became sold on Glennon as the long-term answer at quarterback during coach Lovie Smith's first volunteer minicamp.

"We looked at all the tape of last year," Licht told SiriusXM NFL Radio's Alex Marvez on Tuesday. "Having him in the building and going through that first minicamp with him and seeing how he was in meetings and interacted with the team -- and more importantly how he was on the field -- just secured our feelings of how we evaluated him and felt about him."

Said Licht: "That really helped with our draft strategy."

Perhaps. But NFL Media Insider Ian Rapoport noted that Tampa's "strategy" included a willingness to shop Glennon if the team could net a second-round pick in return for Josh McCown's backup. That plan fizzled up after the Bucs passed on a rookie signal-caller to draft receiver Mike Evans atNo. 7 overall.

Tampa reportedly rejected trade requests from at least half a dozen teams, leading Licht to say after the draft: "There's a lot of interest and we want to keep Mike."

Licht went on to tell Marvez that he and Smith rate Glennon high in terms of what the regime values in a passer: toughness, intelligence and accuracy, with arm strength "maybe a distant fourth," per the GM.

"Mike showed during this process that he had those three things and scored very high marks," said Licht.

The new zeal for Glennon feels highly convenient, but the quarterback himself told reporters this week that he knew he was part of the plan from the start.

"From the moment they signed Josh, they told me, 'Lovie knows Josh, he has a comfort level with Josh.' Moving forward ... he saw me as the guy," Glennon said. "And after minicamp both Jason and Lovie continued to tell me this. I knew what was happening the whole time."

In other words, 7-9

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the Bucs didn't do him right. He played well in the middle of a chaotic season with Doug Martin was injured as well as some of the OLine

they should have been excited about what they had found

Entirely new staff. Did you notice how they jettisoned every starter they felt didn't pull his weight. After they got him into a mini camp, and could see just how much the kid loves football and other intangibles they liked, they saw he was gonna be their guy down the road. Glennon said that Lovie contacted him before, during and after the draft to let him know not to pay any attention to the trade rumors, that he (Glennon) was their QB of the future. Now he gets to sit and learn a bit more before he gets thrown back into the fire.

Falcon fans should be pleased because the first QB most anyone compares Glennon to, is Matt Ryan. maybe just maybe, Napoleon will end up being what evryone was hoping Freeman was gonna be. Different style, but all that matters is the end result.

I'm just waiting for the first Mike Glennon is so much better than Matt Ryan thread.laugh.png

Seriously though. Glennon can be good for the Bucs. I don't understand the Glennon hate from a rare few Falcon fans. Glennon is indeed on about the same path that Ryan was on. Granted his path will likely branch out, for the better or for the worse.. Right now though, he looks like Ryan looked his rookie year. Except Glennon's stud RB went down and was put on IR, while Rookie Ryan's stayed healthy.

I use Ryan as an example because Ryan didn't have eyepopping stats that year and was praised.

And it took Cam until his third year to find out what it was like to be over .500 for a season and in his career.

Yep.

Wins = Qb Stat.

That is basically all we've heard about in RC, since Ryan was drafted by the Falcons.

I guess it took the Falcons getting their azz smacked and Ryan throwing pick 6 after pick 6 to cost his team games this past year, to get the true Falcon homers off their high horse and to judge him accordingly, on his individual stats. He could be on the worst team in the world, and if he put up respectable stats, I will show the guy some respect.

Yep.

Wins = Qb Stat.

That is basically all we've heard about in RC, since Ryan was drafted by the Falcons.

I guess it took the Falcons getting their azz smacked and Ryan throwing pick 6 after pick 6 to cost his team games this past year

lol

you don't know anything about football if you think it was ryan that took us out of the ball games last season.

lol

you don't know anything about football if you think it was ryan that took us out of the ball games last season.

Weren't the Falcons ahead of the Panthers 10-0............before Ryan threw a nasty pick6 to get the Panthers back into it?

The Falcons defense had just recovered a Dwill fumble... they stopped the Panthers from scoring.. Ryan just had to march his offense down the field, to make it 17-0.. Instead, he gave the ball right back to the Panthers defense.

Weren't the Falcons ahead of the Panthers 10-0............before Ryan threw a nasty pick6 to get the Panthers back into it?

The Falcons defense had just recovered a Dwill fumble... they stopped the Panthers from scoring.. Ryan just had to march his offense down the field, to make it 17-0.. Instead, he gave the ball right back to the Panthers defense.

ABe-ball-out.jpg

and what did matt ryan do after this play?

like i said, you don't know **** about sports.

Edited by Tom Servo

Why do the Bucs keep going back and forth on who's going to be their starting QB?

You don't have to look too far back in history to get the answer.

You don't remember the Kyle Orton/Rex Grossman fiasco in Chi-town?

Lovie is fickle on QB play.

I think it's pretty ironic that jbs team has the poor man's matt ryan at qb.

And you guys think karma isn't real

Poor Man's Matt Ryan? Just maybe Napoleon will win playoff gameS.

You ******* and this faux superiority you feel with a 4-12 team is laughable.laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

ABe-ball-out.jpg

and what did matt ryan do after this play?

like i said, you don't know **** about sports.

10-0.............. did that pick6 cost his team that game? Did it help them win or help them lose?

Don't attempt to change the subject to Cam...when you basically asked me for an instance of Ryan costing his team the game. I provided you one.......... let us debate it.

10-0.............. did that pick6 cost his team that game? Did it help them win or help them lose?

Don't attempt to change the subject to Cam...when you basically asked me for an instance of Ryan costing his team the game. I provided you one.......... let us debate it.

Don't mention Mattie boy's interceptions. These guys refuse to acknowledge he's ever thrown one that was Ryan's fault.laugh.png

Poor Man's Matt Ryan? Just maybe Napoleon will win playoff gameS.

You ******* and this faux superiority you feel with a 4-12 team is laughable.laugh.pnglaugh.pnglaugh.png

Jb you and I both know the Falcons are better than a four win team.

And that four win team, the bucs