Kings Number 8 Pick

SavvyFalcon89

SACRAMENTO -- The Kings put the No. 8 pick in the draft on the trade block immediately after the lottery Tuesday night, league sources told NBA.com, clearly looking to add at least one impact veteran in an attempt to push into the playoff conversation next season rather than wait for another rookie prospect to develop.

While several teams choosing in the top 10 on June 26 will be fielding trade offers as part of a deep draft with several intriguing prospects, the Kings have signaled they will take a proactive approach in hoping to make a deal. It is the same aggressive stance the team took early in 2013-14, before the new front office headed by owner Vivek Ranadive and general manager Pete D'Alessandro made two moves, including acquiring Rudy Gay from Toronto in the kind of bold strike Sacramento would like to emulate with a valuable draft pick as bait.

The Kings have several needs in the aftermath of the 28-54 finish, most notably an upgrade on defense, adding dependable perimeter shooting and finding a playmaker point guard, whether or not Isaiah Thomas returns as a restricted free agent. Those could be addressed at No. 8 in the draft, but with the possibility of the kind of test of patience they just went through with Ben McLemore, the seventh pick in 2013.

It was immediately unclear if the Kings have a specific target. But Dennis Schroder, the German point guard firmly behind Jeff Teague on the Hawks depth chart, could come up. Had McLemore been gone at No. 7, Sacramento would have looked hard at Schroder or at trading back.

Thoughts?

Good read OP! That's pretty interesting and if it's as simple as swapping 1's and adding Schroder then heil yeah pull the trigger!!!

True lol. But more than likely, it would take more than that to get the pick....that is unless Ferry uses the same mind contorl powers he used on Milsap to sign here for cheap

I think it'd heavily depend on the draft. There are a lot of 2s and 3s that will be around pick 15. What would be trade up for at the expense of a good PG prospect? Aaron Gordon is rumored to go around that spot, but we don't need a PF.

Gary Harris?

Lavine?

Grant?

I'm just not seeing anyone in that range that is worth losing Schroeder.

Now if someone like Dante Exum fell that far you pull the trigger and never look back. But there are plenty of secondary 2s and 3s that would fit in well at pick 15

I think it'd heavily depend on the draft. There are a lot of 2s and 3s that will be around pick 15. What would be trade up for at the expense of a good PG prospect? Aaron Gordon is rumored to go around that spot, but we don't need a PF.

Gary Harris?

Lavine?

Grant?

I'm just not seeing anyone in that range that is worth losing Schroeder.

Now if someone like Dante Exum fell that far you pull the trigger and never look back. But there are plenty of secondary 2s and 3s that would fit in well at pick 15

You are most defintely right, moving up would be a big gamble . But like you said it would depend on who is there. IMO in the NBA draft its more pressure pick the BPA or trade it for a decent player because there is alot more emphasison first round picks. Unlike the NFL you only get 2 shots......sometimes more than once in the same.roun to pick up a good player.....but you are right if Exum is there, you most definitely pull the.trigger lol

You are most defintely right, moving up would be a big gamble . But like you said it would depend on who is there. IMO in the NBA draft its more pressure pick the BPA or trade it for a decent player because there is alot more emphasison first round picks. Unlike the NFL you only get 2 shots......sometimes more than once in the same.roun to pick up a good player.....but you are right if Exum is there, you most definitely pull the.trigger lol

The best thing about the NBA is that the flexibility to set up deals is far superior to the NFL. Its not trade or fail. You can sit back wait till your pick, take a player, and then trade with Sacramento. Its a much less risky format.

Yeah I would like Gary Harris especially with his size (6'5") at 15. They have him projected as a top ten pick but that doesn't usually mean much. Lavine and grant would definitely work too.

Yeah those are the two I wouldn't mind trading Schroeder for if we had to. Harris has a ton of offensive talent and can defend and rebound. I love him.

Lavine is just a freak and could become a star with his size and skill.

The best thing about the NBA is the flexibility to set up deals is far superior to the NFL. Its not trade or fail. You can sit back wait till your pick, take a player, and then trade with Sacramento. Its a much less risky format.

True that is the main advantage to the NBA...,...on a quick side note, how the **** did cleveland get the tip pick again?!?!?!

True that is the main advantage to the NBA...,...on a quick side note, how the **** did cleveland get the tip pick again?!?!?!

Straight ******** lol. They say luck. I don't believe in that kind if luck in professional sports.

Idk if the NBA is trying to lure Calipari out of Kentucky, or Lebron back to Cleveland, or if its just a freak coincidence. But I think the latter is the least likely.

3 number 1s in 4 years? Please...and its not like they were ever the most likely winner. They keep getting it as like the 9th worst team.

Straight ******** lol. They say luck. I don't believe in that kind if luck in professional sports.

Idk if the NBA is trying to lure Calipari out of Kentucky, or Lebron back to Cleveland, or if its just a freak coincidence. But I think the latter is the least likely.

3 number 1s in 4 years? Please...and its not like they were ever the most likely winner. They keep getting it as like the 9th worst team.

They basically told Lebron if he goes back to Cleveland, the is going to have talent around him....or the NBA still does not feel that Cleveland has not been compensated for losing Lebron...either way, that is straight up trash

They basically told Lebron if he goes back to Cleveland, the is going to have talent around him....or the NBA still does not feel that Cleveland has not been compensated for losing Lebron...either way, that is straight up trash

They've probably been hoping for a Cleveland Miami ECF but Cleveland can't stop sucking haha

I really like Schroeder a lot as a point guard and he has a ton of potential, draws comparisons to Rajon Rondo. With Teague here, I don't know how much playing time Schroeder will get. The only way I'd trade Schroeder for the Kings' 8th pick is if there's still a promising player at #8 (which there should be) and if we get to keep our 2nd round pick. In the 2nd round, I'd love to see the Hawks pick Russ Smith from Louisville. He and Teague are similar so you might wonder why would we do that, but Russ Smith would fill the void of trading Schroeder. Smith is a PG but plays more like a SG. Teague at PG and Smith at SG or vice versa to switch it up some, would be SUPER ANNOYING to play against because both are lightning quick and have a crafty skill set of moves. Both Teague and Smith create turnovers and can dominate a team in the transition game, Coach Bud's style type of players.

The question is, who would we take at #8? Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins would all be off the board. Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Zach LaVine?

I really like Schroeder a lot as a point guard and he has a ton of potential, draws comparisons to Rajon Rondo. With Teague here, I don't know how much playing time Schroeder will get. The only way I'd trade Schroeder for the Kings' 8th pick is if there's still a promising player at #8 (which there should be) and if we get to keep our 2nd round pick. In the 2nd round, I'd love to see the Hawks pick Russ Smith from Louisville. He and Teague are similar so you might wonder why would we do that, but Russ Smith would fill the void of trading Schroeder. Smith is a PG but plays more like a SG. Teague at PG and Smith at SG or vice versa to switch it up some, would be SUPER ANNOYING to play against because both are lightning quick and have a crafty skill set of moves. Both Teague and Smith create turnovers and can dominate a team in the transition game, Coach Bud's style type of players.

The question is, who would we take at #8? Embiid, Parker, and Wiggins would all be off the board. Julius Randle, Aaron Gordon, Zach LaVine?

You do know we still have Shelvin Mack, right?

I'd trade him straight up or hold on to him.

People know were going to have to get rid of teague or Schroeder eventually, but we don't have to any time soon. So either blow our socks off or move along. Schroeder's worth is interesting though. Will it get higher or continue to decline behind teague?

Love talking some Hawks basketball. I doubt Exum will get past #5. I haven't researched him a lot but from what everyone says he's the real deal. Yes Schroeder is definitely bait in this year's draft. We could trade him for a higher pick and still get production from our other first round pick last year Lucas Noguiera. I'd love Jerami Grant out of Syracuse at #15 if he's there.

Also, IDK if anyone knows this but is John Jenkins ever going to see the floor with us?

Love talking some Hawks basketball. I doubt Exum will get past #5. I haven't researched him a lot but from what everyone says he's the real deal. Yes Schroeder is definitely bait in this year's draft. We could trade him for a higher pick and still get production from our other first round pick last year Lucas Noguiera. I'd love Jerami Grant out of Syracuse at #15 if he's there.

Also, IDK if anyone knows this but is John Jenkins ever going to see the floor with us?

We've discussed Jenkins a lot lol. He got hurt last year, but before that he was benched for his crappy defense. His part on this team is pretty stagnant.

He's a pure shooter on a team with the best shooter in the NBA. His defense is too poor to be paired with Korver on a consistent basis, so until his defense improves greatly, he is relegated to back up. And as a pure shooting back up his minutes are mainly reserved to when Korver is on the bench. So long story short, right now his value maxes out st about 12 minutes a game give or take.

He's going to have to improve his defense before he gets significant playing time. I agree about grant as well but it should get interesting if we start getting a lot of interest in Schroeder.

I want Marcus Smart. He'd make trading Dennis a non factor. People are calling him the next Dwade. I see some Lance Stephenson in him. Has an all around game except the outside shot. Which, with his talent, isn't a killer.

He draws a ton of fouls, rebounds tremendously well, finishes in the paint, can run an offense, can make inside shots, great defense. He is just one skill away from being a complete package. Can play PG or SG. Gives us exactly what were missing. Rebounding, defense, and someone that can get his own shot.

Outside of the big 3 I think he has the best shot to be a star, and like I said my bottom projection for him would be a lance Stephenson like player.