I Think Matthews, Asamoah And Freeman Help Us Turnaround This Year

MSalmon

I just rewatched all the past seasons games. There was good, but much ugly. The ugliest was the OL amd running game.

I love Quizz but he's a much better receiver than runner. Save a few high

If hrs he gets zero push. And the right side of the line was just turrible.

I know we've focused on defense, but after watching the games again I think the improved and bigger DL will make a huge difference. For one were deeper there. I saw a lot of "near sacks" and smallish DTs get wore down

Our cbs were simply young last year and improved as year went on.

But what struck me the most was an inability to convert 3rd downs and sustain drives. This is where I think Asamoah, Matthews and freeman come in to play.

The new OL are obvious. Frankly put, our right side was terrible.

Freeman is interesting as he hits the hole much better than Quizz and has great vision.

I think we often forget there is a symbiotic relationship between the O and D. All these great Defenses tend to be balanced by an offense that can run the ball and sustain drives. Keeps the other defense wore down, their offense unbalanced and our guys fresh,

Agree or disagree?

You've already rewatched all of our games from last year? I am just now starting to rewatch them.

Agreed that Matthews and Asamoah will make a big difference. Freeman will help, but i don't anticipate him being a short yardage back. We saw last year in week 1 that Sjax was running hard and when he finally got healthy he continued to run hard. With Matthews, Asamoah, and a healthy Jackson its almost a shoe in that our short yardage will be much better.

I 100% agree about Freeman hitting the hole harder. He doesn't tip toe as much and his acceleration is insane. Not to mention he is short and has great balance. I have high hopes for him if he can find a way to get quality snaps.

Agree. If a D can get off the field on 3rd downs, the O will get more chances. If the O moves the ball, the D gets to rest. Stopping the run better should help set up 3rd and longer, an improved run game will help set up 3rd and shorter, plus with more protection, an increased conversion rate.

I see no reason not to be a lot better...playoff better :)

good post +1

The line upgrade was vital.

If we come out of camp healthy on the line, and Matthews is as advertised(which I have a lot of faith in), we should see our Attack return to the very high level it was... with added running game.

Freeman, although I haven't seen hours of him, looks to be a real player. Soft hands, brutal player for his size, nice vision and acceleration. I'm a fan as it stands.

D#

I'd also concur with your thoughts on D. I can't wait to see a bigger front 3/4 and see our, lets be honest, smallish but fast LBs shoot gaps and play with more freedom. So i'd add Tyson and Soliai to your list of guys that are set to get the Falcons back on track.

I'm really liking the moves we've made, and I think the big nickel and our base sets are going to look great.

It's that time of year that I can't help but be optimistic, but there are still question marks.

Concerns

-Concerned about quality at the TE position regardless of the change in offense. Pascoe should do a solid job blocking and maybe catch 15-20 balls. Toilolo I expect to see in specificly designed plays to use his catch radius and height. But I don't think we have an every down TE who excites me.

- Safety... the jury is out until the pads come out on who takes the FS role. I'd like to see Lowery do well and see Southward get coached up, and contribute as a gunner on ST. Moore is excellent on his day but had a slightly down year. I expect him to bounce back if he puts together a healthy year.

-Edge rusher. It's not so much as a concern in that I think we have the talent on the roster. But pointing out exactly who it will be that shines is the hard part.

Osi should get 6-8 sacks, bank it, But I like Mass to have a bigger year.

I am looking forward to seeing if Bierman can excel in what I think was always likely to be his position.

I think we can get something out of Maponga (again a better 3-4 OLB)

Shembo and Starr. Who knows, fingers crossed.

I just rewatched all the past seasons games. There was good, but much ugly. The ugliest was the OL amd running game.

I love Quizz but he's a much better receiver than runner. Save a few high

If hrs he gets zero push. And the right side of the line was just turrible.

I know we've focused on defense, but after watching the games again I think the improved and bigger DL will make a huge difference. For one were deeper there. I saw a lot of "near sacks" and smallish DTs get wore down

Our cbs were simply young last year and improved as year went on.

But what struck me the most was an inability to convert 3rd downs and sustain drives. This is where I think Asamoah, Matthews and freeman come in to play.

The new OL are obvious. Frankly put, our right side was terrible.

Freeman is interesting as he hits the hole much better than Quizz and has great vision.

I think we often forget there is a symbiotic relationship between the O and D. All these great Defenses tend to be balanced by an offense that can run the ball and sustain drives. Keeps the other defense wore down, their offense unbalanced and our guys fresh,

Agree or disagree?

I know we will be better, barring injuries that is. How can we be any worse?

I really wanted TD to get another O lineman in the draft. A good backup RG would have been nice, preferably one that could also play center. In a draft deep in O line, there really was no excuse not to draft another O lineman. WR was also deep, and with all these big fast WRs coming out, we could have gotten someone for our four WR sets. Someone to eventually replace Roddy, maybe, and be insurance for Julio.

I really think TD could have done a much better job with the draft. Four LBs is just overkill at that position.

I really wanted TD to get another O lineman in the draft. A good backup RG would have been nice, preferably one that could also play center. In a draft deep in O line, there really was no excuse not to draft another O lineman. WR was also deep, and with all these big fast WRs coming out, we could have gotten someone for our four WR sets. Someone to eventually replace Roddy, maybe, and be insurance for Julio.

I really think TD could have done a much better job with the draft. Four LBs is just overkill at that position.

Linebackers taken in those rounds sometimes pan out. Wide receivers taken in those late rounds rarely do. We weren't going to find a replacement for white in the late rounds. Yes, I know you can mention exceptions, but late round wide receivers are a very low percentage play.

Except that 2 of those LBs might as well have been UDFAs- Mr. irrelevant came 3 picks after them.

People forget that Konz was a RG for the 2012 playoff team and did well. Posters here have decided Konz and Holmes are hopeless, Falcons haven't.

Also think that the Falcons figure Jones, White, HD, DJ and Davis is enough for this year.

Its huge........now, if we are facing fierce pass rushers, we can lend the blocker some help in appropriate area with chips and double teams. Last year, if there was as much as an above average pass rusher facing our RT or RG, we had to give them help leaving Baker alone on the other side, often against the teams best pass rusher.

Now, we will be much more comfortable with Asamoah and Mathews abilities one on one with even superior pass rushers, allowing us to give extra help where it is really needed.

The addition of Asamoah and Mathews is enormous, it cannot be understated what this is going to mean to the offense. just having a below average OT on either side throws the whole line off balance, but we've had 2 to 3 below average to all out abysmal level players along that line and it all changes this year absent injury.

This is the year we start going from painfully watching opposing teams QBs drop back in a comfy pocket on 3rd and long and deliver strikes, to having our QB do it.

Sigh...sorry MS I disagree. The crappy tackling,bad coaching and terrible lack of guts AND toughness have ZERO correlation to the ability of the falcons offense to run the ball.I've been an AF for over 30 years. Its getting down right frustrating to be a fan of this team. I FIRMLY believe the current competitive run is OVER and that the Falcons will be the epitome of mediocrity for the next few years, then plummet to the bottom LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO! Will I watch the games and root for them??? **** yes,but do I expect them to win/succeed **** no...NEVER AGAIN.

Edited by Shoggoth42

Sigh...sorry MS I disagree. The crappy tackling,bad coaching and terrible lack of guts AND toughness have ZERO correlation to the ability of the falcons offense to run the ball.I've been an AF for over 30 years. Its getting down right frustrating to be a fan of this team. I FIRMLY believe the current competitive run is OVER and that the Falcons will be the epitome of mediocrity for the next few years, then plummet to the bottom LIKE THEY ALWAYS DO! Will I watch the games and root for them??? **** yes,but do I expect them to win/succeed **** no...NEVER AGAIN.

89 total posts......things that make you go hmmmmmmmmm

LOL...move on little troll

Funny, I think last year was the fluke and the Falcons will be right back to 10-13 wins and a playoff berth this year.

Linebackers taken in those rounds sometimes pan out. Wide receivers taken in those late rounds rarely do. We weren't going to find a replacement for white in the late rounds. Yes, I know you can mention exceptions, but late round wide receivers are a very low percentage play.

There were a few late round WR's I was interested in, but other than that I agree with you.

I wanted Kevin Norwood, I think he would have been a perfect compliment to Jones and heir apparent to Roddy. The other I was interested in was L'damian Washington who was available as an UDFA, but he signed with Dallas. I would have been willing to use one of those 7th round comp picks on him.

Smitty said the other day that we won't be running the Jumbo package anymore. He must really be feeling confident in our TE's and Oline's blocking ability. I hope he is right.

I am really excited about the new coaches and players on our Oline and our Dline. The first play of the Saints game should be S. Jackson behind Nix(FB) running to the right side with Bear Pascoe at TE. Line up and do it again. Impose our will.

I'm also very happy to hear that we will be working on tackling. I read they are already doing practicing drills and I hope it continues all season.

You've already rewatched all of our games from last year? I am just now starting to rewatch them.

Agreed that Matthews and Asamoah will make a big difference. Freeman will help, but i don't anticipate him being a short yardage back. We saw last year in week 1 that Sjax was running hard and when he finally got healthy he continued to run hard. With Matthews, Asamoah, and a healthy Jackson its almost a shoe in that our short yardage will be much better.

I 100% agree about Freeman hitting the hole harder. He doesn't tip toe as much and his acceleration is insane. Not to mention he is short and has great balance. I have high hopes for him if he can find a way to get quality snaps.

Yeah had surgery so had time lol

Yeah I like freeman big time

Swift?