Falcons Project As Nfc South Cellar-Dwellers In 2014 Per Yb

insight

Falcons Project as NFC South Cellar-Dwellers in 2014

http://www.yardbarker.com/nfl/articles/msn/falcons_project_as_nfc_south_cellar_dwellers_in_2014/16496836

Julio+and+Roddy.jpg

I’m pretty sure all of the die-hard Atlanta Falcons fans stopped reading after the headline. If you were brave enough to venture past the header though, then it’s probably because you bypassed the article to begin posting nasty remarks in my comments section lol.

I have to give Falcons fans more credit than that though. Some people are willing to hear a good argument even if it’s one they don’t agree with.

So let’s get into it, starting with what the probable pecking order is going to be in the division this year.

Basically, the New Orleans Saints and the Carolina Panthers are the top two teams in the NFC South.

Both teams play well on both sides of the ball and both of those teams got better over the offseason.

The Tampa Bay Buccaneers finished with the same miserable record as the Falcons last season but finished last in the division because they had a worse conference record.

While Tampa was decent defensively, they struggled mightily on offense last season. The Buccaneers made a great coaching change though and have made significant improvements on both sides of the ball this off season.

Matt+Ryan.jpg

That leaves the Falcons staring down that last spot in the division. Atlanta sucked both offensively and defensively last season and hasn’t seemed to make much improvement on either side of the ball so far.

Sure the Falcons finally tabbed a top notch left tackle to watch quarterback Matt Ryan’s back but they lose Tony Gonzalez’s production at tight end and still don’t have a competent third receiver who can take advantage of all the attention wide-outs Julio Jones and Roddy White receive on the outside.

Their run game took a significant nose dive last season also with Stephen Jackson missing a significant portion of the season due to injury. The lack of a run game was one of the things that exposed the Falcons’ defense so badly since they had no way to give the defense a rest by eating up clock with their ground game.

Lack of a consistent run game also made it hard to hold on to leads during the rare occasions they were able to build one.

On defense, the Falcons couldn't generate a pass rush or stop the run last season.

Osi Umenyiora was a poor replacement for sack-master John Abraham and the Falcons’ inability to stop the run was exposed even more so than in years past.

The Falcons have always had problems stuffing the run and have been near the bottom of the league in terms of rushing yards allowed throughout Coach Mike Smith’s tenure but last season was a nightmare year for them defensively.

GM Thomas Dimitroff has devoted so much money to building the offense over the years but as the Seattle Seahawks proved once again last season “defense still wins championship.”

But now that the Falcons are seeking to upgrade their defense, they no longer have enough money under the salary cap to make significant improvements. It also doesn’t help that they failed to make a big splash in the draft either.

Umenyiora.jpg

Even Falcons fans have to be a little frustrated with their teams offseason moves so far.

The Falcons missed out on premier pass rushers Jadeveon Clowney, Khalil Mack and passed on Anthony Barr. These are the types of decisions that will come back to haunt Atlanta and eventually cost Smith and Dimitroff their jobs.

Nobody believed me last season though when I predicted that the Falcons wouldn't make the playoffs (yes I’m tooting my own horn) so I don’t expect anybody to believe me this time.

Then again, with all of their weaknesses having been exposed last season there are plenty of other people speculating that the Falcons will struggle this season also. This means it could potentially be another long season for the championship-starved Falcons’ fan base.

Edited by insight

• Replies 124
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Is this just a post or an article missing a link. Either way it's just a bunch of regurgitated nonsense posted here daily all thrown together in one spot. So much fail in this.

We had a magnificent off season for one. We did exactly what we needed to do. This has Madden Kid written all over it.

Bad post is terrible.

Maybe because most people outside of these boards realize that the only improvements we made were mediocre washed up players? Matthews was possibly the only good pick up this offseason.

There ya go tiger, stick up for the obvious juvenile click fishing piece of dung that is. It fits in with your whole rebel hipster vibe you got going on. /lol

I have to give Falcons fans more credit than that though. Some people are willing to hear a good argument even if it’s one they don’t agree with.

If he had an actual Argument or a Valid point, I'd be willing to hear it, but nowhere in that entire jumbling of text is there one

Maybe because most people outside of these boards realize that the only improvements we made were mediocre washed up players? Matthews was possibly the only good pick up this offseason.

Hester would be the only player I consider washed up out of the actual upgrades we attempted to make (Jackson, Soliai, Arenas, Asamoah). Arenas as depth is fine, it's not like we're attempting to make him our #1 CB.

The Panthers lost their entire offensive line and entire WR corp, but he doesn't expect them to take a step back? Riiiiight.

Why would he? Only Oline guy we lost really was Gross. We're getting our two starting guards back this season. Our WR unit last year was one of, if not the worst in the league. Not like the new guys can do any worse. F'n WRs made the Falcons secondary look like the Seahawks secondary in that last game. Dbs were living up those WRs arses.

Is this just a post or an article missing a link. Either way it's just a bunch of regurgitated nonsense posted here daily all thrown together in one spot. So much fail in this.

We had a magnificent off season for one. We did exactly what we needed to do. This has Madden Kid written all over it.

Bad post is terrible.

Link is at the top, this an article published by Yardbarker. The article seems to have the motive of sighting emotional responses from falcons fans by it's outrageous language. I am just posting what is out there on the national media outlets. I do not share the views of the author they are way over the top in my opinion.

Talked about how the run game was bad, didn't mention getting an entirely new (and much improved) right side of the o-line.

Talked about how run defense was terrible, didn't mention getting 3 STUDS for the interior d-line WRT stopping the run.

Yeah, I'm sold.

Talked about how the run game was bad, didn't mention getting an entirely new (and much improved) right side of the o-line.

Talked about how run defense was terrible, didn't mention getting 3 STUDS for the interior d-line WRT stopping the run.

Yeah, I'm sold.

Talked about we sucked on offense and didn't make any additions to that side of the ball.... except we are adding Julio Jones.

Edited by Mr. Lubba Lubba©

Link is at the top, this an article published by Yardbarker. The article seems to have the motive of sighting emotional responses from falcons fans by it's outrageous language. I am just posting what is out there on the national media outlets. I do not share the views of the author they are way over the top in my opinion.

My bad didn't see it at first.

Guest Gritz

Wouldn't give that idiot the satisfaction of leaving a negative comment. I doubt if he has the intelligence to parse my complex way of insulting window-lickers anyway.

Falcons seriously needed to address and upgrade their lines. Short of picking up Clowney (whose cost was prohibitive) they attempted to, and may have succeeded in doing so.

This brain-dead hack knows as much about the Falcons as my inbred cat or Heath Evans do.