Falcons Had Targeted Mathews The Entire Time, Were Even Considering Trading To #3 To Get Him

gazoo

http://mmqb.si.com/2...g-to-fly-again/

Falcon never wanted Clowney.............

Atlanta had a boring draft, but a lucky one. The night before the draft, Dimitroff thought he had a deal with old friend Dave Caldwell, the GM of the Jaguars, to move from six to three; but it would have been a stupid deal in retrospect. Dimitroff had his heart set on Texas A&M tackle Jake Matthews, and he was fortunate Caldwell called him on draft morning and said, we're out. We're staying put and picking our guy.; Blake Bortles. Forget the speculation. Dimitroff wasn't going to pick Kahlil Mack. He was going Matthews all the way.

Now came the next piece of drama in the Atlanta draft room. New assistant GM Scott Pioli was a voice of calm in the room; he’d been urging Dimitroff to not be too eager to move back into the first round. Atlanta sat at 37, and wanted a pass-rusher—either a defensive end or an outside linebacker. The Falcons really wanted Ohio State linebacker Ryan Shazier, who went to Pittsburgh at number 15. That was too high for Atlanta. Then the object of their affection was defensive end Dee Ford, and he would have cost a third-round pick for Atlanta to move into the mid-20s. But Kansas City grabbed Ford at 23, and there went the two rushers Dimitroff liked. Instead of overpaying for a player he didn’t love, Dimitroff sat and took high-risk/big-reward defensive tackle Ra’Shede Hageman of Minnesota. He didn’t get a pass-rusher until pick 139, in the fourth round: Notre Dame outside linebacker Prince Shembo, whose career was clouded by an encounter with a girl he met at Notre Dame who later killed herself. The circumstance around her death—Shembo was never charged with a crime—caused many teams to steer clear of him, and he’s a risk for the Falcons. But they were confident in the vetting of Shembo, and in his potential. So he’s the man Atlanta hopes can be the edge-rush help for the aging Osi Umenyiora that the quarterbacks of the NFC South will grow to fear. But the 139th pick is not exactly Jadeveon Clowney territory.

• Replies 203
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

makes TD look worse if it's the truth .

i dunno. it makes the Falcons look more committed to the Jake Matthews pick and not like we were settling on a consolation prize for having missed out on Clowney and Mack.

I do think Thomas is always a little too anxious with who he wants in 1st round - 90% of mocks out there had Jake Matthews falling to #6 - its puzzling to me why Dimitroff felt the need to trade-up. I know there were some rumors about Cleveland Browns taking Jake Matthews but never believed that for a minute.

I honestly looked down several threads and didn't see it posted anywhere. Perhaps it got buried because it is an exceptionally inconvenient truth to those claiming we were forced to take Mathews or really wanted Clowney or Mack the whole time.

i dunno. it makes the Falcons look more committed to the Jake Matthews pick and not like we were settling on a consolation prize for having missed out on Clowney and Mack.

I do think Thomas is always a little too anxious with who he wants in 1st round - 90% of mocks out there had Jake Matthews falling to #6 - its puzzling to me why Dimitroff felt the need to trade-up. I know there were some rumors about Cleveland Browns taking Jake Matthews but never believed that for a minute.

Obvious I think TD is lying to save face . If he says he was trying to trade up for Mack , Matthews was 2nd choice . Unless he is dumb and poor poker player and didnt want to risk Matthews coming off board .

I honestly looked down several threads and didn't see it posted anywhere. Perhaps it got buried because it is an exceptionally inconvenient truth to those claiming we were forced to take Mathews or really wanted Clowney or Mack the whole time.

you should have looked for the words MMQB or Peter King - he wrote the story - both were in titled threads - no biggie.

This is what a lot of folks think is a lie to save face. I think it does the opposite honestly. If he were to lie he would of said Mack and not added on to the notion that he gets trigger happy. Just shows that he should be more patient imo.

Scott Poili was the one who told TD not to trade back up in first round after we picked Mathews. Poili was an important person in that draft room and his experience helped us.

If picks 3 and 4 had gone differently, Matthews may not have fallen to us. Jax going with Bortles and Buffalo moving up for Watkins sealed the deal.

And the argument about "why did we use up all our time when Matthews is on the board argument"... We had just seen Buffalo overpay to move up to #4. Of course we keep the phone open to see if some team is willing to overpay to move up.

Which is exactly why a GM will use up the 10 mins even though the guy they want is on the board still. He might just get a phone call and offer that trumps the pick of the player.

We never wanted Clowney? If we were sitting at 6 and both were on the board, Clowney would be the choice. Not wanting him and not wanting to trade up to number one are two different things.

With that said, getting Matthews at 6 was the right decision.

Obvious I think TD is lying to save face . If he says he was trying to trade up for Mack , Matthews was 2nd choice . Unless he is dumb and poor poker player and didnt want to risk Matthews coming off board .

I don't think so. Why would he need to "save face"? think the poll on the AJC.com before the draft had most fans wanting Dimitroff to do exactly what he did - stay put at #6 and take Jake Matthews.

I believe Peter King was "embedded" with Falcons war-room - just like he was in 2008. Peter King does not put out fake stuff and Dimitroff is not a liar.

Scott Poili was the one who told TD not to trade back up in first round after we picked Mathews. Poili was an important person in that draft room and his experience helped us.

I think it's so funny that that is how it worked out. That is exactly what many of us were hoping Pioli would do. Hoping he would be a voice of reason and patience in TDs ear to keep him steady and not jump.

I don't think so. Why would he need to "save face"? think the poll on the AJC.com before the draft had most fans wanting Dimitroff to do exactly what he did - stay put at #6 and take Jake Matthews.

I believe Peter King was "embedded" with Falcons war-room - just like he was in 2008. Peter King does not put out fake stuff and Dimitroff is not a liar.

exactly, what nonsense to claim this is all lies.

the person tryin to save face here isn't Dimitoff ...

Right if he were lying and wanted to save face he wouldn't of admitted to Matthews being our pick all along. He would of said another player.

so thankfully the Jags didnt accept deal cause TD was dumb enough to trade a 3rd to move up 3 spots for a guy most likely there .. TD is not a great GM and this is enough evidence

I think it's so funny that that is how it worked out. That is exactly what many of us were hoping Pioli would do. Hoping he would be a voice of reason and patience in TDs ear to keep him steady and not jump.

exactly what happened.........very, very good he was in the war room. I'm glad to hear Mathews was our guy all the time as well. It could have shaken out differently if Caldwell hadn't taken Bortles though.

exactly what happened.........very, very good he was in the war room. I'm glad to hear Mathews was our guy all the time as well. It could have shaken out differently if Caldwell hadn't taken Bortles though.

Haha...yes. Thank the stars for Caldwell.

I still call bs. I care not of Peter King or TD's history for telling the truth.

TD and Mike Smith both said they tried to trade back from pick #6 when they were on the clock. If they were so anxious to give up a 3rd round for Matthews, then why would they risk trading back and losing him?

Makes not a bit of sense. Somebody is lieing somewhere, whether it be about trading back, trading up, or for whom....somebody is telling a little white lie