Nice Read On Devonta Freeman........

GTBF54

For Falcons rookie Devonta Freeman, small package, good things coming

• Associated Press
  • May 18, 2014 6:05pm EDT

FLOWERY BRANCH, Ga. — Fourth-round selection Devonta Freeman said he felt like the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 NFL Draft when he saw the opportunity awaiting him with the Atlanta Falcons.

Freeman, a former Florida State running back, said his path to immediate playing time and a chance to be the Falcons' future starter make him believe he landed with the right team.

232511-650-366.jpgDevonta Freeman (AP Photo)

"When I got drafted, I just felt so relieved," Freeman said Saturday.

"Coming into the draft, I wanted to go second, third round," he added, "but God had better plans for me. I feel like this plan is going to work out the best, better than guys that got picked ahead of me."

Falcons starter Steven Jackson will be 31 when the 2014 season begins. Longtime backup Jason Snelling retired. Jacquizz Rodgers is young but has never reached 100 carries in any of his three seasons.

Coach Mike Smith says Freeman might look like a change-of-pace back at 5-8, 208 pounds, but has the strength to run inside.

Freeman said his size is an advantage as he avoided tacklers to become Florida State's first 1,000-yard rusher since Warrick Dunn, another former Falcons back, in 1996.

"I can make guys miss in small areas, small creases," Freeman said. "For my size, I feel like I'm physical. I can have a good impact. I run downhill more than I do outside. I feel I can stick it in there in short yardage, in third-and-inches and stuff like that to get the good yard."

Smith said Freeman showed he has the skills to be a lead back in the three-day rookie minicamp that ended Sunday.

"We've got to find out what Devonta can do," Smith said. "To me, if he can step up and be a good pass protector, he's got the chance to be a three-down back."

That "if" from the coach is a big point for Freeman. He knows he must earn the trust of quarterback Matt Ryan.

"If you can block and protect that million-dollar quarterback, that's the main thing," he said. "That's first. Catching and running, I feel like that's the easy part of it. But blocking, that's something that you've got to have heart and stuff for. I take a lot of pride in that, so that's one of the things I'm going to work on the most."

The Falcons' options at running back also include Antone Smith and former Syracuse star Jerome Smith, who signed as an undrafted rookie.

Freeman ran for 1,016 yards in 2013 despite sharing carries with Karlos Williams and James Wilder Jr. He didn't like Florida State coach Jimbo Fisher's three-RB system until he realized the plan, which kept his legs fresh, also made him more attractive to NFL teams.

"At first I was kind of like, 'Man, I wish I could get the ball every play,'" Freeman said. "Now it all makes sense. Coach had a plan for me. I'm a running back. The less attempts, the better for me."

NOTES: The team announced the signings of five draft picks: LB Prince Shembo, CB Ricardo Allen, LB Marquis Spruill, LB Yawin Smallwood and LB Tyler Starr. Shembo was a fourth-round pick, Allen and Spruill were fifth-round selections, and Smallwood and Starr were taken in the seventh round. ... Mike Smith said he doesn't expect WR Julio Jones (foot surgery) and LB Sean Weatherspoon (knee) to participate in offseason activities or next month's full-team minicamp. The goal is to have both ready for training camp. S Zeke Motta (neck surgery) also isn't ready for on-field team drills.

http://www.sportingnews.com/nfl/story/2014-05-18/opportunity-with-falcons-excites-rookie-rb-freeman

Quizz has had a good career for what he was drafted to be, a change of pace back but at 5'6 he is just not big enough to ever take over the number 1 spot. Freeman at 5'8 has a ton of potential and if all goes well could be our Ray Rice. How he performs this year will indicate whether or not he takes Jackson's spot next year or if we will end up having to draft another RB in the higher rounds.

Quizz has had a good career for what he was drafted to be, a change of pace back but at 5'6 he is just not big enough to ever take over the number 1 spot. Freeman at 5'8 has a ton of potential and if all goes well could be our Ray Rice. How he performs this year will indicate whether or not he takes Jackson's spot next year or if we will end up having to draft another RB in the higher rounds.

The article also pointed out the main factor: can he block as good as Quizz???

Guest MikeKennHOF

This kid can ball. Period.

He's never been a primary back. We'll be lucky if he can contribute on special teams and fill a niche rotational role before washing out of the league.

Wasted pick.

Too many reasonably adequate backs available as fa's to afford wasting a pick on one.

Guest fibonacci

love this pick more and more. only prblem here is the picture

232511-650-366.jpg

come on FO, you clearly need me there. because the pixels in this is horrible and it blur. I'm the man, so call me up.

He's never been a primary back. We'll be lucky if he can contribute on special teams and fill a niche rotational role before washing out of the league.

Wasted pick.

Too many reasonably adequate backs available as fa's to afford wasting a pick on one.

yeah okay. I've yet to see one expert say something negative about this kids game. I've seen more than one single him out as a steal and helluva football player.

yeah okay. I've yet to see one expert say something negative about this kids game. I've seen more than one single him out as a steal and helluva football player.

A good buddy of mine is a FSU grad. As soon as it was announced we had drafted Freeman, and not his bucs, he sent me a text simply stating, "Fk the falcons". I loved the Freeman pick. On top of being compact and physical, he has a work ethic that can't be matched. I just hope we don't do with Freeman what we've done with antone Smith, our other fsu grad. Hopefully with an improved line, we won't have to rely on our backs to pass protect all the time.

Wasted pick.

Lmao. How wrong people can be...

A good buddy of mine is a FSU grad. As soon as it was announced we had drafted Freeman, and not his bucs, he sent me a text simply stating, "Fk the falcons". I loved the Freeman pick. On top of being compact and physical, he has a work ethic that can't be matched. I just hope we don't do with Freeman what we've done with antone Smith, our other fsu grad. Hopefully with an improved line, we won't have to rely on our backs to pass protect all the time.

Not going to get much playing time as a RB in this offense if you can't pass block.

Freeman is a much more well rounded back than Smith. Would not be surprised to see both Freeman and Quiz in the backfield at the same time- force the D to set up to defend a 2 back set and then have 1 or both of them split out.

Wasted pick.

You sure about this rolled eyes

Guest MikeKennHOF

You sure about this rolled eyes

Yes. There are any number of scrub-to-adequate backs we could have brought in off the street, and not wasted a 4th on a special teams/back-up rotational filler. That Guard the Raiders got would have been a MUCH more useful pick at that spot. Feel free to correct me if he was gone at our 4th pick, but I think he was still there.

EDIT: Gabe Jackson was gone in the third. So we would have had to miss out on a scrub back-up db instead of a scrub back-up rb.

Edited by MikeKennHOF

Yes. There are any number of scrub-to-adequate backs we could have brought in off the street, and not wasted a 4th on a special teams/back-up rotational filler. That Guard the Raiders got would have been a MUCH more useful pick at that spot. Feel free to correct me if he was gone at our 4th pick, but I think he was still there.

EDIT: Gabe Jackson was gone in the third. So we would have had to miss out on a scrub back-up db instead of a scrub back-up rb.

Well, I guess that makes you a scrub troll..........

Lol u need to get your troll game up.