I'm Not Sure Robert Alford Will Be Our Starting Left Cornerback In 2014

You guys keep dropping the rookie card on me. First of all whose decision was that? Dimi. He cut RobbinUs and let Grimes and Crisp walk. Secondly, dude aint a rookie anymore. If he doesn't improve, let someone else take his spot. I believe Josh Wilson could play better than what I saw from Alf. Arenas too. Stop coddling players.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Coddling is a cute word. First none of us have anything to do with the players. Geez man wake up. Like anything you, myself, or anyone has to say about a player means anything to the organization. I don't see anyone coddling, I see the majority in the real world knowing that a rookie had his ups and downs. Of course if he doesn't improve at his position he shouldn't start, it doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure that out.

You just simply like to gripe about anything and everything looking more foolish each time.

Edited by nomak

It is fair to judge him when he got a ton of snaps last year then got lit up as a starter in our last four games against the likes of Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. And just stop with the all the time in the world bush it. We racked up 10 sacks, 8 hits and 40 hurries in those four games. That projects to 40 sacks, 32 hits and 160 hurries, which is pretty good. Neither QB was sitting back in the pocket comfortably, but Alf was getting lit up by all of em.

Silly, just plain silly. It's been shown that most rookie corners even the ones drafted in the1st round struggle. Who gives a **** about what happened in the last 4 games. You're talking about our 2nd round rookie corner who has started a total of 4 games in the NFL.

Alford did as good as most of the CB's drafted in the 1st round.

You guys keep dropping the rookie card on me. First of all whose decision was that? Dimi. He cut RobbinUs and let Grimes and Crisp walk. Secondly, dude aint a rookie anymore. If he doesn't improve, let someone else take his spot. I believe Josh Wilson could play better than what I saw from Alf. Arenas too. Stop coddling players.

C'mon bro seriously Grimes how much is he getting now if we had have signed him long term you may aswell have kissed the Soliai & T.Jackson signings good bye and you were never for Dunta anyway.Honestly Bro I don't get what your gripe is here with Alford.Yes I will play the rookie card because again a guy coming out of a small school thrown in the deep end at starting CB is tough what were you expecting an invite to the pro bowl top of the pops in those BS PFF ratings or something.

C'mon FFS your better than this.

I would put Josh Wilson at RCB and move Tru over to LCB to give him more opportunities. Wilson is a solid seven year vet with 396 tackles, 14 INTs, 71 PDs, 5.0 sacks, 9 FFs, 11 FRs and 5 TDs. His combined career PFF coverage rating is +17.0. He's also played 14 games at LCB.

So he's putting up career numbers similar to alford's production with 4 career starts?

You might possibly be ********.

Alford and trufant stuggled last yr.. go back and look at the cards and tampa game, trufant got ate up..

Alford played very well given the fact he didnt have as much snaps as tru.. they both will be starting and be playmakers for a long time..

i remember people calling for his head and calling him a bust.

i never thought he was that bad, just a normal rookie

3rd most yards allowed that year

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/1/13/2704224/patrick-petersons-coverage-stats-shocking-and-not-in-a-good-way

he showed flashes of dominance but was inconsistent. normal rookie behavior.

not saying Alford is Peterson's clone, just giving an example

I still don't think Peterson is a GREAT cb... He doesn't play the game with his mind though he is extremely athletic and has elite ball skills. Has shut-down potential but I question if he'll ever reach it.

I still don't think Peterson is a GREAT cb... He doesn't play the game with his mind though he is extremely athletic and has elite ball skills. Has shut-down potential but I question if he'll ever reach it.

I think he is slightly overrated but he's 23. It's all about popularity and who's backing you. Tru had a better year than Joe Haden quiet as kept but didn't get near the attention. I thought Deion would have reached out and attempted to build him up but whatever

Not sure where you got Grimes' rookie numbers since he was a rook in 2006. He didn't get CB snaps until 2008. His last four games were decent. Peterson was dam good in his last four games as a rook. Alf? Not so much.

I believe he stared playing in 2007. I remember him having a lot of tackles in the Cardinals game.

Guest MikeKennHOF

We could have Primetime and Darryl Green in their prime lined up at CB for us and it wouldn't help. We do not have an NFL caliber pass rush. I'm not sure we have an NCAA Div. 2 caliber pass rush. Our secondary has spotty talent aside from Trufant; they are going to get torched early and often by bored and comfy opposing QB's.

C'mon bro seriously Grimes how much is he getting now if we had have signed him long term you may aswell have kissed the Soliai & T.Jackson signings good bye and you were never for Dunta anyway.Honestly Bro I don't get what your gripe is here with Alford.Yes I will play the rookie card because again a guy coming out of a small school thrown in the deep end at starting CB is tough what were you expecting an invite to the pro bowl top of the pops in those BS PFF ratings or something.

C'mon FFS your better than this.

Grimes had a $5.4M cap hit last year. It drops to $4.0M this year with his new contract. We currently have 11 players on our roster with a higher cap hit, including the likes of Biermann, Sackmaker, Blalock, Osi, Spoon and Sjax. Many of whom are older. Many who aren't as good. Dimitroffed.

Rocky is trufants perfect counter. He's somewhat undisciplined but he also makes insane plays on the ball. Probably makes QBs more afraid to throw to him than Tru since Tru doesn't typically intercept passes, he usually just bats them down. This would be different if Moore wasn't our safety since he costed Tru at least 2 ints. But Alford is our day 1 starter no questions. They picked him in the 2nd for a reason.

Edited by RideOrDieIce

Guest fibonacci

His main problem is that he plays with no discipline. He doesn't get physical on the line. The Buffalo game exposed him although he was fortunate to get some overthrown passes. I like him but I'm not gonna ride his jock like others

he does get physical. and the coaches during training camp told him to stop or they were going to make him sit out. you even heard Mike Smith yell it across the field.

So clearly our coaches are to blame.

Guest fibonacci

It's a rainy day so instead of playing golf I decided to watch some 2013 Falcon games. I picked the last four to see what we can glean from those going into 2014. You all know Alford was inserted into the starting LCB slot as Smitty and Nolan abandoned the Asante experience. Well truth be told Alford got lit up by the likes of Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. Not exactly Brady, Brees, Manning and Rogers folks. To the tune of:

19/23, 82.6% completion%, 195 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 PDs and a 141.6 passer rating allowed.

Ouch. Yeah he made some plays on strip fumbles but he got his as beat in those games people. Now he has to fight off a sophomore slump. He also has to fight off:

Desmond Trufant - played most of his college ball at LCB and could get switched back if we need an upgrade

Josh Wilson - solid vet despite being run over by SJax last year

Javier Arenas - played mostly RCB and SCB but could be an option

Robert McClain - mostly a SCB but has experience at LCB

Dezmen Southward - will get a shot at FS and SCB but also could be an option

Ricardo Allen - played mostly RCB. true ballhawk that could take somebody's spot

If dude doesn't elevate his game this summer he could end up dropping in the rotation and maybe even another Dimi CB bust like Crisp Owens, Chevis Regal, Fair Catch Franks, Trye Hill, Dunta RobbinUs, Willie Middleton and Wilrey Fontenot. Here's hoping he rises.

good job on your research. +1