I'm Not Sure Robert Alford Will Be Our Starting Left Cornerback In 2014

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

the guy has 4.5 speed ... He is fast enough... reading routes and quick foorwork is what makes tru the prospect he is .... Allen has those traits ... It translate ..... We will see what happens

Ive seen multiple of his games in college... Im def a fan ... But you dont know until you see them play

He has been clocked in that range, but most of his times are high 4.5s and 4.6s range. I'm not saying he can not play, I'm just not expecting the second coming of Grimes like some here think he is....

Can yall just stop with the too small to play corner bush it? Only Southward has decent size and he'll probably get forced into a safety position. Brent Grimes is smaller than all of our corners at 5'8 - 180 lbs.

Dezmen Southward - 6-0 - 211 lbs

Desmond Trufant - 6'0 - 190 lbs

Robert Alford - 5-10 - 188 lbs

Javier Arenas - 5'9 - 195 lbs

Josh Wilson - 5'9 - 189 lbs

Ricardo Allen - 5'9 - 187 lbs

Robert McClain - 5'9 - 180 lbs

His main problem is that he plays with no discipline. He doesn't get physical on the line. The Buffalo game exposed him although he was fortunate to get some overthrown passes. I like him but I'm not gonna ride his jock like others

He made that pick in the first saints game last season and folks lost their minds. For the rest of the season nobody was looking at how Tru and Alford played the actual POSITION but me, you and a few other folks. Ppl think playing that position is about the flash of it and it's not. I think Alford will be ok once he starts playing with the discipline Tru does.

He has been clocked in that range, but most of his times are high 4.5s and 4.6s range. I'm not saying he can not play, I'm just not expecting the second coming of Grimes like some here think he is....

He ran a 4.51 at his pro day .... That was his official time.. Some had him actually under that

http://blogs.nfl.com/2014/03/04/purdues-qb-turned-db-could-get-closer-nfl-look/

Allen (5-foot-9 1/8, 186 pounds) was at the combine, but went through drills again at Purdue’s pro day. He ran the 40-yard dash in 4.49 and 4.46 seconds. He had a 37-inch vertical jump and a 10-foot broad jump. He ran the 20-yard short shuttle in 4.10 seconds and did the three-cone drill in 6.90 seconds. Allen — a 2013 second-team All-Big Ten pick by the media and an honorable mention selection by the coaches — put forth a very good workout in the position drills.

FFS1970 is the same person that said Dunta will be a shut down corner and that McClain had a good second half of the season. Both of those statements were complete utter bs. Obviously his breakdown of corners leaves a lot to be desired. So I will pass on anything he says about corners

Can yall just stop with the too small to play corner bush it? Only Southward has decent size and he'll probably get forced into a safety position. Brent Grimes is smaller than all of our corners at 5'8 - 180 lbs.

Dezmen Southward - 6-0 - 211 lbs

Desmond Trufant - 6'0 - 190 lbs

Robert Alford - 5-10 - 188 lbs

Javier Arenas - 5'9 - 195 lbs

Josh Wilson - 5'9 - 189 lbs

Ricardo Allen - 5'9 - 187 lbs

Robert McClain - 5'9 - 180 lbs

I dont get the to small talk either... Every since Grimes... As long as you can ball... Im good

Ricardo Allen kinda remind me of Captain Munnerlyn with ball skills (as a prospect.. not saying he is him)... A tough slot guy

He made that pick in the first saints game last season and folks lost their minds. For the rest of the season nobody was looking at how Tru and Alford played the actual POSITION but me, you and a few other folks. Ppl think playing that position is about the flash of it and it's not. I think Alford will be ok once he starts playing with the discipline Tru does.

without discipline, he will never become what we want him to become. Speed can only get you so far

Josh Wilson is a solid starter but he has his flaws. Those who don't know who he is, think back to this game

Josh Wilson gets shoved to ground for TD but no c…:

I'm the first person to say Roddy pushes off. But that wasn't an obvious push off. Roddy is strong so if he puts his body on ya you are going to feel it.

FFS1970 is the same person that said Dunta will be a shut down corner and that McClain had a good second half of the season. Both of those statements were complete utter bs. Obviously his breakdown of corners leaves a lot to be desired. So I will pass on anything he says about corners

LOL, I agree about the discipline.

without discipline, he will never become what we want him to become. Speed can only get you so far

Exactly. Richard Sherman is by far NOT the fastest corner on the field at any given moment but he plays the position fundamentally sound and is disciplined with his assignments.

5 other things i realizes..

1 Steven Jackson still has it... Dude was running hard at the end of the year... He can give us a good year if the line gets some push.

2. The RG position was really bad.

3. HD had a really good year... Dude just made HUGE mistakes at important moments.... As long as he count on him as a number 3 WR (not in the big moments) ... I think he and DJ can do some damage.

4. It might just be me but i think Levine can be a big move the chain target.. I like how he used his body to box out the DB to make a catch... It looked Tony-esk

5.We have to find a way to use Antoine Smith.... I know he is a special teams beast but the guy is the brurner we've been needing .

hqdefault.jpg

This man would like a word with you.

Grimes spent years learning, though. I am probably as big of an Allen fan as anybody on here and was calling for him months before the draft, but I don't want to see him starting on the outside before he is ready and paying the price by not developing properly because he is being burned. I think he can be that guy in a couple of years, but I would rather Alford for now.

Grimes spent years learning, though. I am probably as big of an Allen fan as anybody on here and was calling for him months before the draft, but I don't want to see him starting on the outside before he is ready and paying the price by not developing properly because he is being burned. I think he can be that guy in a couple of years, but I would rather Alford for now.

Oh I know, I'm just making the point that short guys can stack up.

Guest Negatorris

Not everyone is gonna play like Trufant as a rookie. A corner doing what Tru did as a rookie is unheard of. Alford will be alright.

I think Tru's dominance has people forgetting that rookie corners do struggle. People wanted Patrick Peterson's head after his rookie year. He came back and showed why he was a high first round pick. It just takes time and like yaboi said, it takes discipline. I know he worked out with Darrell Green and Peterson this offseason so we'll see if it transfers to the field.

Alford played a lot in the slot early on so no wonder he struggled that one of the most difficult positions to play on defense let alone being a rookie.

I think all our corners need to play more physical (grab hold push shove) if they get flagged oh well it never allows the offense to get a rhythm And has worked really well for seattle,sanfran.Ravens and the jets manly because there only going to call but so much they could literally call a hold on Seattle's corners almost every play.

I think Tru's dominance has people forgetting that rookie corners do struggle. People wanted Patrick Peterson's head after his rookie year. He came back and showed why he was a high first round pick. It just takes time and like yaboi said, it takes discipline. I know he worked out with Darrell Green and Peterson this offseason so we'll see if it transfers to the field.

Peterson made the pro bowl his rookie year and played corner in the pro bowl as well.

Peterson made the pro bowl his rookie year and played corner in the pro bowl as well.

i remember people calling for his head and calling him a bust.

i never thought he was that bad, just a normal rookie

3rd most yards allowed that year

http://www.revengeofthebirds.com/2012/1/13/2704224/patrick-petersons-coverage-stats-shocking-and-not-in-a-good-way

he showed flashes of dominance but was inconsistent. normal rookie behavior.

not saying Alford is Peterson's clone, just giving an example

Edited by Rise_Up_504

Bush it. I quoted an AJC quote that said that. Will you just stop accusing me of that son? I wanted to run dude off from day one and gave him the nic Dunta RobbinUs.

Josh Wilson was not solid, he was just the most solid of his guys over there...that would not be saying much.

That is why I doubt he makes the team or if he does make it it is as a vet presence type role, much like Samuels towards the end of the year last year.