I'm Not Sure Robert Alford Will Be Our Starting Left Cornerback In 2014

It's a rainy day so instead of playing golf I decided to watch some 2013 Falcon games. I picked the last four to see what we can glean from those going into 2014. You all know Alford was inserted into the starting LCB slot as Smitty and Nolan abandoned the Asante experience. Well truth be told Alford got lit up by the likes of Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. Not exactly Brady, Brees, Manning and Rogers folks. To the tune of:

19/23, 82.6% completion%, 195 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 PDs and a 141.6 passer rating allowed.

Ouch. Yeah he made some plays on strip fumbles but he got his as beat in those games people. Now he has to fight off a sophomore slump. He also has to fight off:

Desmond Trufant - played most of his college ball at LCB and could get switched back if we need an upgrade

Josh Wilson - solid vet despite being run over by SJax last year

Javier Arenas - played mostly RCB and SCB but could be an option

Robert McClain - mostly a SCB but has experience at LCB

Dezmen Southward - will get a shot at FS and SCB but also could be an option

Ricardo Allen - played mostly RCB. true ballhawk that could take somebody's spot

If dude doesn't elevate his game this summer he could end up dropping in the rotation and maybe even another Dimi CB bust like Crisp Owens, Chevis Regal, Fair Catch Franks, Trye Hill, Dunta RobbinUs, Willie Middleton and Wilrey Fontenot. Here's hoping he rises.

• Replies 243
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I think that he will absolutely start the season for us on the outside. Not 100% sure which side, though.

Allen is too short to just get thrown in and expected to hang with the big receivers, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a shot at some point, but he needs to learn first. I think he will be inside and trying to jump routes mainly.

I don't expect to see Southward lining up at corner. I think he has been brought in to learn how to be our safety of the future.

Arenas is more depth, I think, and will be mainly used in sub packages.

I don't really know enough about Wilson and it depends which McClain we see!

It's a rainy day so instead of playing golf I decided to watch some 2013 Falcon games. I picked the last four to see what we can glean from those going into 2014. You all know Alford was inserted into the starting LCB slot as Smitty and Nolan abandoned the Asante experience. Well truth be told Alford got lit up by the likes of Flynn, Cousins, Kap and Cam. Not exactly Brady, Brees, Manning and Rogers folks. To the tune of:

19/23, 82.6% completion%, 195 yards, 3 TDs, 0 INTs, 0 PDs and a 141.6 passer rating allowed.

Ouch. Yeah he made some plays on strip fumbles but he got his as beat in those games people. Now he has to fight off a sophomore slump. He also has to fight off:

Desmond Trufant - played most of his college ball at LCB and could get switched back if we need an upgrade

Josh Wilson - solid vet despite being run over by SJax last year

Javier Arenas - played mostly RCB and SCB but could be an option

Robert McClain - mostly a SCB but has experience at LCB

Dezmen Southward - will get a shot at FS and SCB but also could be an option

Ricardo Allen - played mostly RCB. true ballhawk that could take somebody's spot

If dude doesn't elevate his game this summer he could end up dropping in the rotation and maybe even another Dimi CB bust like Crisp Owens, Chevis Regal, Fair Catch Franks, Trye Hill, Dunta RobbinUs, Willie Middleton and Wilrey Fontenot. Here's hoping he rises.

I dont golf (ive tried...its not for for me) but the rain is keeping me in and im doing the same...

I do think Alford will keep his job tho .. He had a up and down rookie season... But the only person i think realistically can get him is Wilson but i dont think it will happen.

The guy who should be afraid is McClain with Ricardo Allen .... Man McClain is getting worked by Stevie Jackson in the slot... He had an even worst season then i remembered.... Ill give the guy a chance to bounce back but i think Allen is a legit threat.

With Alford we have to remember the level he was coming from .... It seem like he has been busting his *** this offseason... I expect a step forward and more consistency

His main problem is that he plays with no discipline. He doesn't get physical on the line. The Buffalo game exposed him although he was fortunate to get some overthrown passes. I like him but I'm not gonna ride his jock like others

I don't see a whole lot of Alford jock riding on here. The Trufant love is apparent but also more deserved. CB is a tough position to come into as a rookie and unless you are just a complete stud like Tru, most take a few years to really get good. He showed me enough flashes last year to have him not be someone I'm worried about with all the other holes on this team from last year. I don't think Alford is going to be a perennial pro-bowler but in my uneducated opinion on the man, he will be a solid CB that won't lose his job for a while.

I see him starting with Trufant no doubt about it. There will be rotations in and out for sure, but day 1, he's our starter next to Tru.

As for Allen? Future NB.

I'm not so sure Allen beats out McClain, I am not as high on him here as some, he is short and not real fast either. Yea he has ball skills , he is a classic route jumper but I don't think his college game will translate real well to the NFL.

I hope he takes a big step forward and hope that our pass rush gets much better. I think Alford definitely can improve and has some good skills. He did some good things last season.

I'm worried about the fact that we don't really have a vet/leader defensive back to help the young guys.

I don't see a whole lot of Alford jock riding on here. The Trufant love is apparent but also more deserved. CB is a tough position to come into as a rookie and unless you are just a complete stud like Tru, most take a few years to really get good. He showed me enough flashes last year to have him not be someone I'm worried about with all the other holes on this team from last year. I don't think Alford is going to be a perennial pro-bowler but in my uneducated opinion on the man, he will be a solid CB that won't lose his job for a while.

you must not have been here during the entire season including preseason last year

I'm not so sure Allen beats out McClain, I am not as high on him here as some, he is short and not real fast either. Yea he has ball skills , he is a classic route jumper but I don't think his college game will translate real well to the NFL.

McClain- 5'9 194

Allen- 5'9 190

Very very similiar. Most scouts if not all had him slotted as a NB type of guy for pro teams. Give him some time to learn this D and get in the weight room and he'll be a beast. It's a project and he'll have to develop, but I really do ultimately see him in a more integral role than just ST or a bottom of the barrel rotational guy.

you must not have been here during the entire season including preseason last year

Very true. I'm very very active on the boards during the offseason. I don't get near them on gameday because I don't need a message board play-by-play. In between games I'm still not as active however that will probably change this year.

the guy has 4.5 speed ... He is fast enough... reading routes and quick foorwork is what makes tru the prospect he is .... Allen has those traits ... It translate ..... We will see what happens

Ive seen multiple of his games in college... Im def a fan ... But you dont know until you see them play

Very true. I'm very very active on the boards during the offseason. I don't get near them on gameday because I don't need a message board play-by-play. In between games I'm still not as active however that will probably change this year.

take my word for it there were only a select few of us who actually supported the truant pick while the rest pushed for Alford to start alongside Samuel and trufant to be cut

I think that he will absolutely start the season for us on the outside. Not 100% sure which side, though.

Allen is too short to just get thrown in and expected to hang with the big receivers, I think. I wouldn't be surprised if he got a shot at some point, but he needs to learn first. I think he will be inside and trying to jump routes mainly.

I don't expect to see Southward lining up at corner. I think he has been brought in to learn how to be our safety of the future.

Arenas is more depth, I think, and will be mainly used in sub packages.

I don't really know enough about Wilson and it depends which McClain we see!

I would put Josh Wilson at RCB and move Tru over to LCB to give him more opportunities. Wilson is a solid seven year vet with 396 tackles, 14 INTs, 71 PDs, 5.0 sacks, 9 FFs, 11 FRs and 5 TDs. His combined career PFF coverage rating is +17.0. He's also played 14 games at LCB.

McClain- 5'9 194

Allen- 5'9 190

Very very similiar. Most scouts if not all had him slotted as a NB type of guy for pro teams. Give him some time to learn this D and get in the weight room and he'll be a beast. It's a project and he'll have to develop, but I really do ultimately see him in a more integral role than just ST or a bottom of the barrel rotational guy.

I hope you are right, I would love to see him develop, and he WILL get some picks no doubt, but despite McClains poor showing last year I think he still has the upper hand to be the slot corner this year, he is experienced, physical and is a step faster than Ricardo,

Extrapolating last year to this year. Don't count on any improvement uh.

I didn't need to research 2013 video to realize Alford got lit up last year most rookie corners do.

Answer me this: why are all of your ******** nicknames negative ones? Do you have any positive nicknames? Honestly bro you sound very sophomoric there. It's not very becoming of an older more mature fan such as yourself.