The Arizona Effect

Kayoh

I'm a weird mood because it's almost 6am and I'm delirious, but this weird little thing just popped into my head and I figured it was worth sharing.

For the last two seasons, Matt Ryan has been so bad against the Arizona Cardinals that it's effected him for an entire month.

2012: 14 interceptions all season. 7 (HALF) of those INTs were either in the Arizona game or one of the three games following it. Matt's PFF passing grade this season was +37.4...average of around +2.3 per game, right? In the Arizona month (weeks 11, 12, 13 & 14) his PFF passing grade was -0.4. That means that outside of that one month, his grade was +37.8 over 12 games, an average of +3.2. Insane to think about, I know, but the proof is in the pudding.

2013: 17 interceptions all season. 9 (OVER HALF) of those INTs were during the month of the Arizona game. WHAT?! Matt's PFF passing grade for the season? +8.2. Average of +0.5 per game. Pretty sad, right? But get this. His passing grade during the Arizona month? More like a FAILING grade! Over the course of the four game stretch starting with the Arizona game, Matt's passing grade was a whopping -10.9. Take that out and over the rest of the year - 12 games - his passing grade is a respectable +18.9, or +1.6 per game.

Matt just can't handle the mental distress put on him by playing the Cardinals. The one thing Arizona's defense has in common each time they play him? Defensive line success. Arizona's cumulative starting defensive linePFF grade in their two games against Atlanta in the past two years? +13.2.

I don't think we play Arizona this year, but for the love of all that is holy, please let our offensive line be able to handle themselves the next time we DO play them. Last thing we need is for Matt to have another month-long recession like he's had in each of the past two years when we've played them.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It all comes down to the run offense. If we can run the ball, the offense will not only score more points, it will also possess the ball longer and indirectly help our defense.

We will find out very quickly. If we run the ball well against the Saints, we can count on a good season.

It all comes down to the run offense. If we can run the ball, the offense will not only score more points, it will also possess the ball longer and indirectly help our defense.

WHAT??????????????

We will find out very quickly. If we run the ball well against the Saints, we can count on a good season.

Guest Negatorris

Yeah they are usually a bad matchup for our offense. Other than 2010 where we put up 40 against them, we haven't had very much luck against that team. Just like when the Aints play the Rams.

You ever see his face when the pressure gets to him, when he knows he's whipped? He11, I thought he was gonna cry a few times. I mean, dont get me wrong i think hes tough, and taken some he11acious hits....but I wish Ryan would demand more respect. F what Roddy thinks, F Julio, F Tony, F Spoon, F everybody. Matt Ryan needs to show everyone this is his team, and become a winner. In my opinion this is his last year to prove that.

You ever see his face when the pressure gets to him, when he knows he's whipped? He11, I thought he was gonna cry a few times. I mean, dont get me wrong i think hes tough, and taken some he11acious hits....but I wish Ryan would demand more respect. F what Roddy thinks, F Julio, F Tony, F Spoon, F everybody. Matt Ryan needs to show everyone this is his team, and become a winner. In my opinion this is his last year to prove that.

Matr has already proven that he is a winner. The person who is a loser and needs replacing is Mike Smith.

Yeah, its bad. So bad that even other folks fans are starting to notice. My cousin, NY Giants fan, has been mentioning our struggles with the Cardinals. They and the Raiders eliminated Matt from deserved MVP consideration in 2012.

I'm just hoping that the game is cancelled due to inclimate whether and we flip a coin for the winner. Lol

Battle scars from 2008 playoff meltdown? I blame Keith "3rd and 16" Brookings.

Keith Brooking is King Doosh of all the ex-Falcons I have ever seen. He is #2 on my list of most hated ex-Falcons right behind Mike Vick. Guy should have been kicked in the balls for that "Dirty Bird" taunt he did when he played us with the Cowboys.

It's a credit to the Arizona d line and the fact that our o line couldn't protect Matt. Those two games he's taken some of the worst beatings I've ever seen him take. It's always been our weakness, we struggle when you can pressure Matt with just 4 pass rushers. If you're forced to blitz Matt, he'll eat you alive.

Keith Brooking is King Doosh of all the ex-Falcons I have ever seen. He is #2 on my list of most hated ex-Falcons right behind Mike Vick. Guy should have been kicked in the balls for that "Dirty Bird" taunt he did when he played us with the Cowboys.

Dude revise your list. Eugene Robinson. He's the King *****.

we really didn't have a chance last season. SJ39 was still gimpy, they destroyed us at the line of scrimmage and the only person making plays was the dude most folks wanna get rid of. HD did well beating his double teams but with no running game, a hot mess of a line and them neutralizing Tony G lead to Matt having a very bad very long day