One Question. Will The Falcons Run The Ball More Like The 2008 Falcons?

We have too much receiving talent in Jones/White to be a ground and pound team. Matt is also a great QB, so they'll utilize his abilities a lot. However I do expect us to run the ball about 15-20% more now that our O-line should be improved. Hopefully that will translate into teams being committed towards our run more, setting up some nice passing plays. Or ****, even if we passed the ball a lot, it should set up our running plays nicely. Either way, as long as our o-line does its job, our offense should be top 10.

We have too much receiving talent in Jones/White to be a ground and pound team. Matt is also a great QB, so they'll utilize his abilities a lot. However I do expect us to run the ball about 15-20% more now that our O-line should be improved. Hopefully that will translate into teams being committed towards our run more, setting up some nice passing plays. Or ****, even if we passed the ball a lot, it should set up our running plays nicely. Either way, as long as our o-line does its job, our offense should be top 10.

A certain Internet sports blog which will remain nameless because of its lack of credibility just did an article rating all 32 NFL teams' offenses for the upcoming season. They had the Falcons at #8 in the NFL despite the overall poor record of last year. With what we know we have with Matt running the offense, we should easily be somewhere in the upper third of the league. With our potential with a revamped line, a dangerous new RB in Freeman and our WR's back (hopefully), that projection of 8th in the league seems very achievable to me.

For anyone paying attention to what Smitty and TD have been saying after how last year went, then it's an easy answer of yes. We will be returning to the smashmouth style of football they came in with. Whether it's as successful as 2008 remains to be seen, but with a more experienced Ryan than in 08, a much improved OL from last year, and a healthy SJax with good backups, then I could easily see a return of us near the top of the league in rushing yardage.

No, with Ryan JJ and White all together we will never be a ground and pound team. Look at the O-linemen we went out to get and you'll see that. Their Pass protection is their strong suit Matthews and Asamoah both.

However, we will run the ball just enough to be able to run our play action offense effectively, which is as much as i can hope for at this point.

Since Gonzalez is gone. I wonder if this offensive will be a ground and pound attack? When I look at the wins against good teams. We ran the ball extremely well. Thoughts?

Nah, that doesn't play to the strength of our team. We will run the ball as much as we did in 2012. We gave up on the run in the second half last year because our oline could block a girl scout troop.

No. Last year, we had a beaten up offensive line who were almost all, across the board, better at run blocking than pass blocking, we had a beaten up receiving corps, but we had three RBs, two of which were consistently healthy, who all had the ability to run, and we still refused. Matt dropped back 743 times in 2012, 703 in 2013. You might say to yourself, "oh, so Koetter ran more in 2013?" but no. We ran 304 times in 2013. 342 in 2012. Do the math. Passed 68.75% of the time in 2012, 69.8% of the time in 2013.

The fact of the matter is, no matter the personnel, as long as Dirk Koetter is our offensive coordinator, we are a 70% passing team.

Id we had an '08 Turner yeah. We don't though. sad.png

And Ovie

And Hartsock

Falcons will NOT run the ball more than they pass, which they did in 08.

Only thing they need from the run game is to be able to gain a yard when they need it and to run well enough to keep Ds honest.

Also the Falcons ran the way they did in 2008 because of a rookie QB, a great RB, and only one good receiver who we didn't know if he was coming off of a fluke season or not.

Now we know it's not a fluke season for Roddy, we have an older, wiser, and better QB, and a top 5 talent at our other WR position. And our current starter at RB isn't half of what '08 Turner was.

There's no reason to go back to running it more, we aren't built for it