Nfl.com - Falcon Picks, Mayock Comments, Nawrocki Grades And Link To Scouting Reports

http://www.nfl.com/d...-team-input:atl

Round 1, Pick 6 (6)

Jake Matthews

OT

6'5"

Texas A&M

Pick Analysis: "How about the lineage? His dad is in the Pro Football Hall of Fame. His uncle Clay (Matthews) had a long career. His cousin Clay plays for the Packers. His other cousin Casey plays for the Eagles. This kid is special. He's a technician, and I believe they are going to play him at right tackle in Season 1. His pass pro is so simple ... he's not a grabber. He's going to help Atlanta on Day 1." -- Mike Mayock

Round 2, Pick 5 (37)

Ra'Shede Hageman

DT

6'6"

Minnesota

Pick Analysis: "Hageman has first-round talent. He flashes brilliance, but a lack of consistency pushed him to the second day of the draft. The Atlanta Falcons got an outstanding offensive tackle (Jake Matthews) yesterday, on defense you got a first-round talent in the second round. The Falcons got bigger and stronger on both sides of the line of scrimmage." -- Mike Mayock

Round 3, Pick 4 (68)

Dezmen Southward

FS

6'0"

Wisconsin

Pick Analysis: "He can play corner and safety. Southward took the top off his pro day in the 40 (running in 4.38 seconds). With what Atlanta has in the secondary, it will be interesting to see where he plays." -- Mike Mayock

Round 4, Pick 3 (103)

Devonta Freeman

RB

5'8"

Florida St.

Pick Analysis: "This kid, for his size, is very physical. There is not much tread on his tires. This kid has always split the duties in the backfield. He's fresh and can catch the football." -- Mike Mayock

Round 4, Pick 39 (139) (Compensatory selection)

Prince Shembo

OLB

6'1"

Notre Dame

Pick Analysis: "Shembo's a guy I got to know pretty well at Notre Dame. If you asked teammates who the toughest football player on the team was, they'd say it was this kid. On Day 1, what do you get from a Prince Shembo? He's a Day 1 special teams core player." -- Mike Mayock

Round 5, Pick 7 (147)

Ricardo Allen

CB

5'9"

Purdue

Round 5, Pick 28 (168) (From Panthers through Vikings)

Marquis Spruill

ILB

6'1"

Syracuse

Pick Analysis: At Syracuse's pro day, Spruill ran the 40 in 4.59 seconds on both attempts. He had a short shuttle time of 4.44 seconds and a three-cone time of 7.33 seconds. He had a 34 1/2-inch vertical jump and 9-foot-9 broad jump. He had 21 strength lifts.

Round 7, Pick 38 (253) (Compensatory selection)

Yawin Smallwood

OLB

6'2"

Connecticut

Round 7, Pick 40 (255) (Compensatory selection)

Tyler Starr

OLB

6'4"

South Dakota

Pick Analysis: "Starr was at the combine and played very well in the East-West Shrine Game. At his pro day, he ran 4.58 and 4.59 in the 40. He had a 31 1/2-inch vertical jump and a 9-9 broad jump. He ran the short shuttle in 4.37 seconds." -- Gil Brandt

Another area where we have been weak at for years was special teams, especially during kickoff and punt coverage. I think our special teams has been upgraded as well. I used to hold my breathe until the opposing teams return man was tackled. Lol.

special teams.....meh.

I didn't like the Spruill pick at the time, but after thinking about it a bit more, Shembo isn't much of an all around backer, he's more of a pass rush guy for TD I think. Worrilow is decent and Spoon is fine when healthy in terms of being able to blitz and cover, but beyond that we don't really have any versatile LB's and Spruill seems to have the athletic ability to be that.

Another area where we have been weak at for years was special teams, especially during kickoff and punt coverage. I think our special teams has been upgraded as well. I used to hold my breathe until the opposing teams return man was tackled. Lol.

When have we been weak in special teams coverage?

I didn't like the Spruill pick at the time, but after thinking about it a bit more, Shembo isn't much of an all around backer, he's more of a pass rush guy for TD I think. Worrilow is decent and Spoon is fine when healthy in terms of being able to blitz and cover, but beyond that we don't really have any versatile LB's and Spruill seems to have the athletic ability to be that.

Nah your initial thought is right....Spruill Imo is terrible. He shows to be really slow and doesn't seem to have any instincts.

I think Smallwood will be the all around LB you're looking for. He can cover and play the run