My General Thoughts A Week After The Draft

Overall I did like our draft, just like 90 percent of the board I loved our first two picks. in matthews I think we got a great lineman who is a day one difference maker. I actually think he has a higher ceiling than some experts think,especially in the run game department. on paper at least this is prob the best oline we have had in a very long time.

hageman I think will be a boom pick bc he is not expected to be the man right away just contribute on a solid dline rotation, and I do think cox will get the best out of him.

southward pick im 50/50 on. I wouldnt have drafted him there but I understand the pick. I honestly hope we pick up another vet safety after the june 1st cuts bc, I think if lowery goes down and he is thrown to the wolves he will bust big time. what I hope happens is he plays special teams and is used in certain sub packages where he has one very clear goal, and we let him develop into a possible starter in yr 2.

I love the freeman pick up he can do it all and is the classic player the falcons wants from a character stand pt. its just a huge bonus that he has low mileage and a huge upside.

allen is my sleeper pick of our draft I know some are excited about him, im super excited and think he will be our starting nb near the start of the season. he does not have the best measurables, but has some great football instincts, you cant argue with results of 14 ints and 4 for tds for a corner, which is one of the hardest positions to master point blank period. dude has skills and is a ball hawk.

The rest of our draft is basically all Lbs and I dont pretend to know everything about them, but I cant wait to Training camp. to see what we got, from them. I do like shembos nastiness though

as far as our season goes. I honestly dont think our defense will be a top 10 overall. I think we will be a top 10 against the run and prob a top 15 overall which is still very good, considering we were in the cellar last yr.

I honestly think our team goes as the o line goes, like I said on paper this should be the best o line we have had in many yrs. if they keep matt upright and get some push in the run game. those third and 2s become 1st and 10 and our drives stay alive. I honestly think we will be an 11-5 to a 10-6 team with a playoff berth this yr.

what I hope to see before the season starts are

bring in a vet safety

bring in a vet pass rusher even if we get another osi like player that will be fine, one a 2 yr deal.

just my thoughts a week later

I agree with a lot of this. I think this has been one of the best offseason/drafts in a long time and I swore after last year's heartbreaking season I would not get my hopes built up too much again but alas, that is not to be. I still have some reservations until I see them play but dang I can't help but be pretty excited about these guys and our chances this year.

I also loved our draft.

I wasn't really excited about the Southward pick when it was made, as there was so much talent still available... but I have since warmed up to Southward due to his freakish, athletic performance at his pro day.

I still see us making a few moves but overall I'm extremely pleased with the off season.

Matt Ryan still produced top numbers despite having a horrible o-line, his top two receiver hurt, as well as the RB. Now, with adequate protection and a healthy, Julio, Roddy, S-Jax...he is simply going to DESTROY NFL defenses.

The Aints went from the worse defense in the league to the #4 defense after implementing a 3-4, I'm very excited to see what Nolan will produce with the heaps of talent we've acquired.

There is something magical about this year! wink.png

love your enthusiasm tony, to be honest I dont think we will have a huge jump in sacks this yr, I do think we will be better and get 33-35, but what I do think will return is our turnover rate from 2012 both from ints and fumbles and I will take those any day of the week.

love your enthusiasm tony, to be honest I dont think we will have a huge jump in sacks this yr, I do think we will be better and get 33-35, but what I do think will return is our turnover rate from 2012 both from ints and fumbles and I will take those any day of the week.

With all the new big nasties up front, I think if we can consistently get a push up the middle, it will open things up outside for QB pressure. Like you said, we don't necessarily need a ton of sacks if we can just disrupt the QB....which is another reason I love the Hageman pick.

I actually like the Southward pick. I think most of the negativity in the pick is most never heard of him.

Agreed, I think a lot of that was because he didn't get to participate at the combine, so a lot of us weren't familiar with him.

His pro day numbers were off the chart!

Guest MikeKennHOF

Matthews will be a home run pick.

Hageman is lazy and inconsistent. Players almost never turn it around and play hard AFTER cashing the check.

Southward is all workout-wonder with very little on-field gameday playmaking ability demonstrated.

A RB that has never had the skill or talent to be a clear starter. Worthless.

Everyone else? Camp bodies waiting for their opportunity to begin their careers in the AFL or CFL. Or Burger King.

Guest MikeKennHOF

If we do anything positive this year, it will be because of Tice. Our last ol coaches were turrible: jus' turrible.

how can you not love this kid. I like how we got trufant a db that will try and stop all plays, and we got allen a cb that will be like asante and ball hawk. yes he might give up a big play or he might get an int and turn it into six

Honestly, I love our secondary now.

How quickly people forget what our secondary use to be.. Before the young guns came we had Robinson, Samuel, Owens, Franks, McClain in '12. We all know the huge headache that was Dunta. Owens and Franks? No thanks. We got samuel when he was already downhill and old. Grimes was our only young playmaker at a time and he got hurt and then left. So that was already a couple of years ago now. We've had no talent to show at CB really and of course our defense have been pretty horrible defending the pass.

Point is, we NEEDED an upgrade in talent and youth at CB. Bring in Trufant and then we double dipped with Alford. I was hyped about last draft. Unfortunately our front 7 fell apart while we addressed the CB position. But we still got some great young talent that will only get better in Trufant and Alford instead of Robinson and Samuel. Hopefully Allen can come in and be better than an Owens/Franks.

Our secondary the last 5 years has been weaaaaakkkkkkk and I love it now more than ever. I can say the same for our front 7 too honestly. This is going to be the best defense we've had here, I'm pretty confident in that. We've transformed over the past 2 seasons.

Hageman is lazy and inconsistent. Players almost never turn it around and play hard AFTER cashing the check.

Southward is all workout-wonder with very little on-field gameday playmaking ability demonstrated.

Everyone else? Camp bodies waiting for their opportunity to begin their careers in the AFL or CFL. Or Burger King.

Im not sold on the Hageman pick either. Of course, im taking the wait and see approach on all of the picks, but he is the one that sticks out to me. He seems too much of a hybrid to me with no real position. If he is a 3-4 DE okay, but does he pass rush or stop the run? Im not sure. He seems a bit doughy faced to me as well. Which means he may get bigger, and we have to slide him inside as a DT. But watch his tape, he plays too tall to be a DT.

how can you not love this kid. I like how we got trufant a db that will try and stop all plays, and we got allen a cb that will be like asante and ball hawk. yes he might give up a big play or he might get an int and turn it into six

People are overlooking this pick, but I see our future NB.

Guest MikeKennHOF

Konz is the one that stands to gain the most from Tice. His physical tools have never been his problem. Lousy technique, playing too tall, losing leverage: THOSE were Konz's problems. If he can't/won't learn proper technique and leverage under Tice, then yes: he will be lost. But he does have the potential to be salvaged.

Guest MikeKennHOF

My biggest problem with Konz--- as well as Holmes and the entirety of our OL from last year's Saints game, is not talent-based. Standing there like.chumps after the Vacarro hit is what I find inexcusable and unforgivable. Realistically, I know we can't just cut them, so I have little choice but to hope that Tice can get them all to grow a pair. I'll root for them for the sake of the team's success, but I will never be a fan of any one of that sorry, sad, no-pride-having group.

My biggest problem with Konz--- as well as Holmes and the entirety of our OL from last year's Saints game, is not talent-based. Standing there like.chumps after the Vacarro hit is what I find inexcusable and unforgivable. Realistically, I know we can't just cut them, so I have little choice but to hope that Tice can get them all to grow a pair. I'll root for them for the sake of the team's success, but I will never be a fan of any one of that sorry, sad, no-pride-having group.

We need a modern day Mike Kenn and Bill Fralic....Fralic was a tough SOB

Well at least you're glass is half full. lol

Guest MikeKennHOF

We need a modern day Mike Kenn and Bill Fralic....Fralic was a tough SOB

Mike Kenn.

RC Thielmann.

Jeff Van Note.

Bill Fralic.

Warren Bryant.

These were linemen that I cheered for. That played with heart, pride, professionalism.

Edited by MikeKennHOF

I know we drafted a ton of LBers but Yawin Smallwood stands out to me. It may take a year or two to gain traction in this crowded corps. But I think he will be a solid starter in the league for 6-8 years.

Edited by Dawggone

Guest MikeKennHOF

I know we drafted a ton of LBers but Yawin Smallwood stands out to me. It may take a year or two to gain traction in this crowded corps. But I think he will be a solid starter in the league for 6-8 years.

Why?