Did Injury Ruin Peria Jelly's Career Or Did He Just Flat-Out Suck?

If you remember, he had a crushing knee injury his rookie year at the start of the season. So the question is, did the knee injury sap his talent ergo ruined his career? Or was he destined to just suck? We may never know....

He was looking like a baby warren sapp before the injury and Abe was getting sacks and constant pressure off Jerry's side. He had 2.5 before jerry got hurt. Ended the season with 4.5 or 5 I believe. His knee injury definitely added to his career taking a bad turn.

He had an incredible first step. Remember seeing him at Friday night lights his rookie year. He was so quick off the snap. If he'd stayed healthy, he'd have been a good one.

I was going to say, for a guy like Jerry who's greatest asset was quickness, losing a full step can be devastating. If he can ever just get a half-step back, who knows, might be good.

He was looking like a baby warren sapp before the injury and Abe was getting sacks and constant pressure off Jerry's side. He had 2.5 before jerry got hurt. Ended the season with 4.5 or 5 I believe. His knee injury definitely added to his career taking a bad turn.

Yeah...

Injury did it. The guy always played with heart.

People don't understand that it was a real nasty knee injury too, and those type of injuries on D-linemen often end careers, making them shadows of their former selves. Sadly this was the case here, PJ lost all the burst he had.

He had an incredible first step. Remember seeing him at Friday night lights his rookie year. He was so quick off the snap. If he'd stayed healthy, he'd have been a good one.

Yes he did. Dude was lightening quick off the snap. Last year I saw resemblance of his rookie year. I think it took him a while to trust the knee.

I don't think we ever saw enough good things to really say he would've been better without the injury. We'll never know.

I did. For 2 games he's was striking fast off the snap. Constantly caught between 2 guys like warren sapp used to be. I never saw that quick burst like his rookie year until last season. And even that wasn't as fast.

I was going to say, for a guy like Jerry who's greatest asset was quickness, losing a full step can be devastating. If he can ever just get a half-step back, who knows, might be good.

I saw resemblance of it last season. He was fast off the snap again. Not as fast as his rookie year but half like you stated. That's why he was resigned. Coaches saw what I saw.

the bad thing is, for all the he sucks talk, PJ was actually pretty solid last season. he constantly takes on double teams and frees up blockers. ain't his fault we just didn't have anyone to take advantage of his play. at the same time time, I think our new signees have made him expendable. if he was to go to a team like the Bears, he'd be very solid

Look at his PFF ratings and yo will see why Jerry most likely wont make the team this year. He was horrible last season and the contract he signed is one that won't cost us anything to cut him.

Can't say I've ever looked to PFF to judge a players play.

A combination of both. He was always a one trick pony that relied on snap anticipation/initial quickness to get into the backfield, and the injury took a lot of that away from him. He has never had the power or technical skill to compensate for a lack of burst.

Yeah...

Injury did it. The guy always played with heart.

Those few snaps I seen him play before the injury he looked grizzly! When you miss as much time as he did away from the game it's hard to bounce back. He lost a LOT of explosion when he came back full strength. He was never the same even though he's trying his hardest to bounce back. I think Cox will help him to find what he's been missing since that injury.