Why I'm Positive Jake Matthews Was Our #1 Guy On The Board

Just reading between the lines.

We now know that the Bills were trying to trade up for Sammy Watkins in the #1 position.

We also know that Dimitroff said "After the first two picks we knew Matthews would be our guy".

Being that Les Snead was groomed under Dimitroff, I believe TD tried to trade up to #2 to get Matthews being worried that Snead would take him.

Snead refused and took Robinson.

TD had discussions with J'ville but they wanted Bortles badly.

#4 the whole question was would someone trade up for Watkins or would Cleveland take him with the Josh Gordon info that all the GMs already had.

Oakland was never going OT signing two this offseason and drafting a 2nd rounder in the 13 draft.

Matthews said he had the vibe that the Falcons wanted him. TD said after the pick that they been "watching him all along".

I'm certain now the whole Clowney talk was exactly that and a smoke screen...

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The Bills trading up to draft Watkins sparked a domino effect because if Watkins had not gone at the 4th pick, the Raiders would of gotten him at 5 which would have left the Falcons to choose between Matthews or Mack at 6.

The Browns are already stacked at OLB so it would have been stupid for them to draft Mack.

We now know that the Bills were trying to trade up for Sammy Watkins in the #1 position.

We also know that Dimitroff said "After the first two picks we knew Matthews would be our guy".

Being that Les Snead was groomed under Dimitroff, I believe TD tried to trade up to #2 to get Matthews being worried that Snead would take him.

#4 the whole question was would someone trade up for Watkins or would Cleveland take him with the Josh Gordon info that all the GMs already had.

Oakland was never going OT signing two this offseason and drafting a 2nd rounder in the 13 draft.

Matthews said he had the vibe that the Falcons wanted him. TD said after the pick that they been "watching him all along".

From everything I've read, all the pre-draft 1st round trade up talk was smoke. Dimi was sticking to his big board no matter what, which probably looked something like...

Clowney

Matthews or Mack

Robinson

Lewan

Barr

The falcons hired Nolan as DC

Nolan said he would rather have 10 players with 4 sacks than 4 players with 10 sacks

and everyone believed they were going after Clowney or Mack

I just do not understand that logic

please understand I would have been happy with Robinson Matthews, Mack or Clowney and even a few others

but I just did not see them going opposite to Nolan's preffered methods

I thought I heard the Falcons used almost the entire 10 minutes before submitting the pick hoping for a possible trade-down. Anyone else hear that or am I "misremembering"? If Jake was the guy, not sure why they didn't make the pick right away.

If Matthews was our #1 guy all along, then why did TD admit to trying to trade back when our pick came around when Matthews was sitting right there for us?

Idk if Clowney was the #1 choice but based on that fact above, Matthews was clearly not the #1 choice. We wanted a pass rusher and it was probably Clowney, Mack, and then Matthews.

100% agree. I couldn't jump on here and say "If you think we're taking the Clown, you're dumb" just get flamed into oblivion. It was obvious from the start. We NEVER needed a lazy 4-3 DE... we NEEDED a top-flight OT to protect our elite QB. Could see it plain as ******* day 100 miles away.

I thought I heard the Falcons used almost the entire 10 minutes before submitting the pick hoping for a possible trade-down. Anyone else hear that or am I "misremembering"? If Jake was the guy, not sure why they didn't make the pick right away.

My bolding.

I was initially content to target Mathews first (at 6), and since the draft, I have become even happier with the pick.

I would like to think that they said "Screw pass rush, we have to protect Matt. We're getting Jake."

But given this fact, which came out of TD's mouth, means that this was not the case.

If Matthews was our #1 guy all along, then why did TD admit to trying to trade back when our pick came around when Matthews was sitting right there for us?

Because he knew Tampa, Cleveland, Minnesota and Detroit all had franchise LTs already and were highly unlikely to take another one?

Because, although he really liked Matthews, he was hoping someone would make him an outrageous offer for the pick. If someone had made it worth his while, he would have moved back, maybe taken Lewan, maybe Barr or Donald.

Think the Falcons were interested in Clowney but the Texans wanted too much. Think Matthews was one h#ll of a consolation prize.

Not buying that at all. We had a deal worked out with Cleveland to move up to #4 in order to draft Mack, not Matthews. Obviously, when Cle was on the clock Buffalo called and blew our offer out of the water in order to move up for Watkins.

Cleveland screwed us out of a pass rusher twice, because we also tried to trade back into the first at #22 with Philly for Dee Ford, but Cleveland offered more to move up and take Manziel and Ford went with the next pick.

We still lack an elite edge rusher, but I'm much happier with the way it worked out. We stayed and 6, kept our picks, and still landed an elite talent at a position of need. Sometimes it's better to be lucky than good, and TD not finding any takers for our draft picks in order to move up is a very lucky thing for us.

Because, although he really liked Matthews, he was hoping someone would make him an outrageous offer for the pick. If someone had made it worth his while, he would have moved back, maybe taken Lewan, maybe Barr or Donald.

Think the Falcons were interested in Clowney but the Texans wanted too much. Think Matthews was one h#ll of a consolation prize.

I'm not sure Barr or Donald was ever in plans. If we really wanted Barr we'd have taken him. A DE/OLB with skills is a rare commodity. I think we saw him as too raw and flawed. Donald is too small and best suited where he ended up in a 43 attacking scheme like rams. In our scheme he'd been a rotational guy and a waste of high round pick even trading back

I do think Matthews was highest rated OT on our board

I'm not sure Barr or Donald was ever in plans. If we really wanted Barr we'd have taken him. A DE/OLB with skills is a rare commodity. I think we saw him as too raw and flawed. Donald is too small and best suited where he ended up in a 43 attacking scheme like rams. In our scheme he'd been a rotational guy and a waste of high round pick even trading back

I do think Matthews was highest rated OT on our board

Robinson may have been, although his potential was probably balanced out by Matthews ability to be plug and play.

My post though, was a response to "If he was the player they wanted, why wait the entire 10 minutes?" If they'd gotten a good enough deal, they would have traded back, they didn't and went with Matthews.

Think Donald would have fit in fine with this D, Nolan would make it work.

Honestly I think Robinson, Mack and then Matthews knowing full well clowney was gone. Robinson is an ideal gut for the RT and covers the team mantra of bigger and stronger. I think if Mack and Matthews were still there then it would have been Mack all day. Just my opinion however but I was close to tears when raiders nabbed him at #5. So close....