Wr Freddie Martino Has Some Very Impressive Stats.

4 year starter, for North Greenville, catching 296 passes for 3, 766 yards and 26 TD's. Led the team in receptions and yards in each of his four years, with two 1,000 seasons. In 2013, he set a NCAA Division 11 record with 146 catches, accounting for nearly half of his school's receptions. Set a school record with 1,680 yards ( 152.7 yards per game), and 12 TD's.

Tell's me this kid has some really good hands, speed and/or quickness. I can't wait to see what he does on the pro level.

LOL I've watched plenty of Martino footage, so this was the best laugh I've had all day.

Well, is he as good as his stats indicate? Is this a good laugh or a bad laugh? Can you give me an example of what you mean by good laugh? Just curious.

Decent read.

I recently got a chance to sit down with North Greenville wide receiver Freddie Martino who we named a first team division-II All-American for his outstanding 2013 season.

Martino has certainly earned this accolade this season due to his impressive play on the field. When asked how he felt about the award, he answered simply, “It feels pretty good. I’m glad my hard work is finally being noticed and paying off.” He is definitely right about that. If you didn’t know about him before this, be prepared to hear about him a lot in the future.

Martino was able to haul in almost 150 balls this season. It is incredible to think that he could catch that many balls in one season. Not to mention, he also had 12 touchdowns while averaging over 150 YPG receiving. This is one unstoppable receiver. When asked how he was so productive each week, he gave credit to someone other than himself.

“I just thank my quarterback and coach for having faith in me. I owe it to them to keep giving me the ball even when I’m double and triple covered.” As you can imagine, he was double and triple covered for much of the season, but the kid is not guardable.

Being as number 10 is such a great receiver, I wanted to know what set him apart from his competitors. “My hands mainly. I have great speed and run great routes. Anyone can catch the ball, but getting separation from defenders is something I’m good at.”

Route running seems to be a lost art in today’s world due to the athleticism of these athletes. It’s good to see that some receivers still care about the technical parts of the position.

I had to find out about the connection between Martino and his quarterback, Nelson Hughes. “He’s a young quarterback so he looked to me to lead the team. I used my past experience to help us both. We trusted each other even when things went wrong and it paid off.” It was good to hear him say he took a leadership role on this offense. I’m sure it helped build chemistry with his young quarterback.

In high school, most gifted receivers can get by with pure athleticism. Once you reach collegiate ball, things get more technical and more difficult. There has to be more than just the physical aspect of the game- and Martino confirmed this.

”I’ve improved tremendously. Learning to read defenses and manipulate the defense has been a great area of improvement for me as well as blocking. Running routes is important and I have gotten much better at that as well.” Understanding the defenses he is going up against truly gives him an advantage which led to part of his enormous success in the 2013 season.

Martino was a senior this season and will be leaving North Greenville. Due to his excellent collegiate career, playing professional football is a very real possibility for the talented wideout.

“Definitely. I’m continuing to work out hard. Whether it’s the NFL, Arena League, or Canadian league, I’m just looking forward to playing at the next level.”

If a professional team is smart, they will give this guy a chance. He has gotten better every year of his career and I don’t see that trend changing.

http://beyondthesidelines.com/magazine/december/169-catching-fire-freddie-martino

This thread is strange though.

Well, is he as good as his stats indicate? Is this a good laugh or a bad laugh? Can you give me an example of what you mean by good laugh? Just curious.

It's a bad laugh.

He's pretty pedestrian as far as WRs go. And a big part of that comes from playing in a very elementary system against equally mediocre opponents.

Has lackluster breakaway speed, and a weird way of running his routes (some of his cuts/breaks are disgustingly dreadful at times). But he does have great awareness. He can definitely find the ball.... and that's about it.

I'd be shocked if he makes this team, and even more shocked to see him fare well against even the mid-tier pro defenses. Even the Vikings secondary could probably make light work of this kid.

It's hilarious to see that he thinks his route-running is one of his strong suits in that interview. The tape begs to differ. DJ13 has nothing to worry about.

Edited by The Falchemist

Well, he has production, and he has measurables that work at the NFL level which is the big question as to whether low level production can translate.

I really wanted them to take a tall WR, but in the absence, I'll hope this guy, who has decent size and speed, will be a better than anticipated UDFA.

Dates: 03/06/14@Furman

Height: 5116

Weight: 198

40 Yrd Dash: 4.49

20 Yrd Dash: 2.65

10 Yrd Dash: 1.60 225 Lb. Bench Reps: 13

Vertical Jump: 33 1/2

Broad Jump: 09'07"

20 Yrd Shuttle: 4.36

3-Cone Drill: 6.59

4 year starter, for North Greenville, catching 296 passes for 3, 766 yards and 26 TD's. Led the team in receptions and yards in each of his four years, with two 1,000 seasons. In 2013, he set a NCAA Division 11 record with 146 catches, accounting for nearly half of his school's receptions. Set a school record with 1,680 yards ( 152.7 yards per game), and 12 TD's.

Tell's me this kid has some really good hands, speed and/or quickness. I can't wait to see what he does on the pro level.

I was unaware that the NCAA had 11 divisions.